Author Topic: I hope big bro is happy...  (Read 4890 times)

DR

I hope big bro is happy...
« on: November 27, 2010, 10:59:58 pm »
cause he'll be down at Christmas to collect his new toy :P

from this...

to this...

not overly anal though it still turned out better than mine :(

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:01:31 am by Doc »

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: I hope big bro is happy...
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »
If that is his present yours must be kick ass that is what you call lucky is he going to build you a bike. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

DR

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 11:22:19 pm »
 :D it's a long story Frosty but let's just say a few years back when he came across an RL250 in a barn ( a true barn find!) he was pretty happy as he now had a model he'd always wanted. He got it home and sent me off some pics but soon the realization that it wasn't such a good thing hit home. Me being the kind brother took it off his hands in a deal involving a nice original DR500.

He's been pining ever since ::) especially since I rebuilt his original find, been riding it for the past couple of years gloating how wonderful it is all the while his DR is still sitting, flat battery, wheels unturned, awaiting some minor engine work :P

This bike came along via the Gold Coast - ebay up to me then out to Ray S in Emerald and then back down to me and now it's gong back up with my bro..lots of ups and downs but in the end everyone is happy and I actually look forward to getting up there with mine so we can compare bikes ;D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 11:23:50 pm by Doc »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2010, 11:25:01 pm »
who wouldn't be happy with that Doc,
thats bloody beautifull! 8)
i rode an RL briefly many years back when i had a little TY and it did everything well.
very nice.
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 11:29:31 pm »
Doc....Top marks for yet another example of what you can do with little outlay but a good eye for detail.
I love your work matey. You wouldn't have a spare RL tank laying around that you'd sell me would you? I'm not fussed on condition as long as it's not bent up like a pretzel.

DR

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2010, 11:54:46 pm »
thanks Vandy, they're noting special but they are fun and light as a feather 8)

no spare RL tanks sorry Mark..I wish I did as neither mine nor this one are the greatest examples but the RL guys pounce on the aluminium ones with large wads of cash ::)

This bike actually did cost somewhat. Probably about what it's worth if it were for sale ;) It's a 100% complete top and bottom engine rebuild every bearing, seal, shim, gasket inclusive, new cables, bearings, bushes, brakes, levers, sprockets, chain, grips, bars, spokes and tyres. Loads of polishing as it was dull and heavily pitted from a previous owner sandblasting the crap out of everything while it was assembled..top of the tank, bars, triples, fork lowers, frame, engine..everything except the wheels, they were just rusted to oblivion of their own accord :o  I'd hate to put a figure on the actual hours/labour in the 14 or so months it took but you can never really take that accurately into account..it is my bro, I didn't do it for nothing. it's a ride bike and I did double up ordering some items..accidently of course ;D   
« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 12:05:18 am by Doc »

monaro308

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 12:35:17 am »
Thumbs up from me Doc.
Big bro should be VERY happy!!

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 07:49:30 am »
Great job Doc, its a gem. love your work mate, your detailing  always amazes me.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 09:12:50 am »
Doc , It's too shinny mate.... So the Dr 500 is coming home to roost, If I remember correctly Bro recieved it prestine condition also  ;)
How to make a sour's ear into a silk purse  ;D

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 09:26:35 am »
Fantastic resto Doc.My Dad had an RL and he put it threw the ringer they are a great bike Well done ;D

Captain Bilko

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 10:26:45 am »
Hey Steve. That's either Creswick or Hadden. Am I right?

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 10:38:27 am »
Beautiful job Doc, a credit to you.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 11:05:40 am »
You've struck again, son !  :o  Nice job, mate.
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Hardex

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 11:46:05 am »
Hi 66m Yes the photo is taken at the quarry at Haddon.once again well done Doc.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 11:56:01 am »
Groovy. I saw one of these for sale at a local swapmeet and thought it would have looked pretty smart in its day. So there you go, I guessing that is what one would have looked like when it was new. Is that the Sprocket cover you got from me Doc? Looks very similar.

You must have one of the largest private collections of 70's Suzukis in SE QLD, there is always a new project rolling out of your shed mate. How is the lil' Gaucho coming along?
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."