Author Topic: A couple of oddities  (Read 2141 times)

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
A couple of oddities
« on: November 26, 2010, 09:02:04 pm »
What is the story with the slots, are the side covers aftermarket from years ago.  Genuine, what ?

What about this - home welding or what?  :-\

What do you experts reckon ?  I'm still learning about this one ::)
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A couple of oddities
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:54:19 pm »
The slots in the sidecovers are not stock,perhaps added later or aftermarket covers,the rest of the cover looks right,DG made weld on kits for the swingarm like that but they could easily be copied,my 125m had the exact same mods done to the swingarm but from memory was also braced on the bottom.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:05:36 pm »
I just had a look in my honda i.d. book,75/76 cr250m had those slots in there covers,that may explain the red paint you can see on the edges,thats my guess!

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:45:26 pm »
Thanks Smed, the whole bike is a bit of a mystery, it is a '75 painted in 74 colours.  Someone must have loved it at some stage as it has a GMC pipe, new top end and stainless spokes with an excel rim on the back.  I will obviously bring her back to her former glory, just wondering what I've bought.  MAybe it has 250 side covers ?

Wonder what the go is with the forward mountings for the shocks  :-\ :-\
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2010, 06:44:09 pm »
back in 75,74 green backs were painted red to look like current models & now in these  vmx days red backs are painted green to look like 74s,its gone full circle! ;D It was a common mod back in the day to move the shock mounts forward,luckily for you & me only our swingarms were modded & easily returned to stock,frames however were a different matter & were often cut & shut big time,frame rails moved,shock mounts removed alltogether & new ones added,seats & pipes cut up etc,some of the jobs were pretty damn rugged too,I also have a cr250m it had the upper shock mounts moved forwards,luckily they left the original mounts in place & didnt cut the frame at all,it was a simple matter of just cutting off the dodgy mounts & back to stock :)