Author Topic: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?  (Read 37032 times)

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
Re: 4 stroke class, weapon of choice?
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2010, 11:27:44 pm »
Oops. Sorry, my bad...

« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 10:24:30 am »

Number one on the list would have to be a 510.
A purpose built mxer/enduro bike, not a converted trail bike .
I had the pleasure of riding one and it was as close to a Maico 490 as it gets. It was super light, handled, stopped and went very well. I have also ridden a Maico with a TT500 motor in it and it was mega heavy in comparison. I liked it so much I am trolling for one atm.

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile

« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2010, 08:17:14 am »
Hi Shaun. I saw one at Farleigh but I reckon its a waste of time and of two good bikes. The Husky does everything a Maico can. Grants' bike is a good thing, I'm still raving about it!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2010, 01:34:42 pm »
Number one on the list would have to be a 510.
A purpose built mxer/enduro bike, not a converted trail bike .

I agree, I have also ridden the 510 and there is no comparison with any 4 stroke of the era, it was fast, vibrated like hell, more than a touch fragile and built off a 2 stroke bottom end and chassis. No bike to compare it to until the YZ400F turned up.

I think as far as race bikes go there are guys out there who are 4 stroke only guys and run into one who knows how to use a 4 stroke to its best and they will go very fast. Big tough blokes with big bikes  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2010, 02:03:15 pm »
Did you forget about the Husabergs marc?...ride an FC501 or FC600....might need an underwear change. ;)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline redrider1

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2010, 03:42:27 pm »
The number 5 KLX/XR from page 4 is a nice combination.
Is that a bike that is used in OZ for VMX meetings?

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2010, 07:31:43 am »

Here is  klx xl that I did after brian richards tacked togther 5 frames of  which 3 are now complete bikes. The cr tank is great looking but $$$, I used a $25 kx 80 tank

this one cost $1500 to complete, but they do have inherent problems, mostly because the 500 motor is being squeezed into a tight space.

the major problem is carby location... I never  really sorted this out and I ended up with the really long intake which is terrible for top end power, I also just used a standard carby which is far from ideal. that part of the frame needs modifying to get the carby close IMO.

Another issue is they are very front end heavy.(that big donk again..)

The ITC shocks dont work.. unless revalved and resprung .. i used standard KLX shocks with heavier springs and IT front end again with heavier springs.

A nice bike to ride though, but slow. Unfortunately I then rode the same 510 husky  like brad did and  i was totally blown away! So i sold this one ($1500) and got a dead (very)510, which has been the most expensive resto i have ever done but thats another story..

So the kxl was a lot of work for not much money, (Part of the fun to do it as cheap as possible!) having access to a tig and lathe is a must. The husky was easy to revive (not a lot of work) just a sh*&tload  of $$$!! talk about killing the vmx budget...

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 07:46:29 am by sa63 »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2010, 10:39:35 am »
Did you forget about the Husabergs marc?...ride an FC501 or FC600....might need an underwear change. ;)

Guess I group the Bergs in as the red headed step child of the Husky 4 strokes, but you are right, fast and fragile and another step forward to where we are today. 4 stroke weapon of choice current RMZ450  ;D

formerly Marc.com

Offline Graham

• A-Grade
  • Fast TT meets Drunks Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2010, 10:08:00 pm »
Dont under underestermate the humble TT250 2valve,a few tricks here and there a drop or two of methanol, she makes some 500's go weak at the knees,not to mention most of the smelly 2 strokes. ;D

Just wait till the 320 kit goes in,when you see the yellow side plates watch out !!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 10:14:06 pm by Graham »
Gosh its a shame a slow 4 stroke trail bike can go so Fast !!

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2010, 10:17:48 pm »

I would love a Husky TC510 or a LC4 KTM but can't find or afford one, so I am building my own take on a 4 stroke. YZ250L chassis, XR500 engine, YZ250J tank and seat. Heaps of trick bits and pieces, lots of aluminum with the goal of making it as light as possible

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 21, 2010, 07:48:07 am »
Well done with the YZ, always thought they needed more torque. Yeah there is something very addcitive about 4 stroke special building

formerly Marc.com

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:29 pm »
Getting close to paint then final assembly. Getting a decent size carby and air box has been my biggest challenge.
Still have to rebuild a engine, I was waiting to see if it all fitted first.

firko

« Reply #73 on: February 05, 2011, 09:28:42 pm »
I love a bike builder who ventures outside of the square. ;D Nice job Neil. 

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 06, 2011, 07:17:55 pm »
Thanks Mark. Here is today's effort
And this is my exhaust, got to love my TIG welder.