Author Topic: YZ Fork Sliders  (Read 3360 times)

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
YZ Fork Sliders
« on: November 25, 2010, 07:22:59 am »
Guys, I am interested to know if anyone has separated the axle boss from the Slider on the forks typically found on YZ250J/K's.

The Fork Slider has a grey/silver plastic cover bonded to the slider below the axle boss on the forks I am referring to.

To me, it appears as if the axle boss is a forged item that is pressed onto the tube.

My question is, has anyone dismantled the slider down to a basic tube? If so, what method did you use.

Cheers.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: YZ Fork Sliders
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 08:02:45 am »
Don't think you would get those off. They would be such a tight fit to cope with riding, I thing you would destroy forks doing it.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 09:02:36 am »
No doubt they would be tight!

I could image the consequence of landing a jump with no front wheel!

It seems unusual to put such faith in an interference fit, but it obviously happens in many applications.
Political correctness is a doctrine,fostered by journalists and politicians, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 09:45:39 am »
Why would you want to take them apart anyway?

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 09:59:34 am »
Just interested to see if anyone has been there Pom.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 10:23:13 am »
Try measuring the fork tube above and below the mount.
You may find a small step where the axle mount rests???

I doubt too that you would get it off without destroying it.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 10:27:50 am »
iv got a few unwanted 85yr model forksliders which have the disc caliper mounting....which are no use to me.....when i get a minute il cut them up and see how there held together...

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 10:51:30 am »
Whoa, Pom. If the gizzards of the earlier model 43mm forks will fit in those sliders I (or someone else) might be keen to try a Disc conversion.

No need to cut them up to satisfy my curiosity!

Like GMC said, I will measure the tube to see if there is a machined step. My money is that there will be, but getting them apart was never a consideration Kayaba worked into the design I am sure.

I just happened to see a set of anodised sliders and noted the colour difference on various components of the assembley. 

I understand that the cause of this is a result of different Alloys used to Forge the Boss and manufacture the Slider Tube. The composition of Al Alloys will affect the finished colour of the anodising process.

This prompted the question as to whether anyone has broken one down to individual components, as I had believed that the Slider was a one peice construction.

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 11:16:19 am »
I was going to check this out because i was sort of curious myself as to how these things are held together.......and yes these sliders will undoubtedly bolt together with earlier 43mm components.......but why would ya bother though?I have a couple of complete front ends if your that interested to update........but your bike will not be pre 85 legal........hence the reason i dont want them.......make me an offer!

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 12:27:23 pm »
I would consider a spare disc front end for trail riding since I do a fair bit of that too. Are the front ends to suit the 85 YZ250N? Where abouts are you Pom?

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 12:44:44 pm »
im in west melbourne.I think 1 of the front ends maybe of an 86 but i cant remember,i will have to have a look.....not that it makes much difference...there very similar anyway.
Do i assume right that you have an 83 250k?......im sure iv read that somewhere.....if so these will bolt straight in.....check out my "k"

http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/1156148/

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 02:09:19 pm »
Hey Pom it is a small world, I have seen your bike at the bike pics site before. I would be very pleased to have mine turn out like your bike (same YZ250K). GMC is getting the job to repair my frame, I would hope to get it running early next year. I have sure thrown some cash at it so far, and I am still in the hole for a Barrel, mine is 4th o/s and needs a bore. I am considering a liner because I really dont want to have to rework the PV. Having said that, The PV is still available from Yamaha so I might get one to keep as a spare seeing as though it is getting harder and harder to keep an old bike running with spares becoming NLA.

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:54:59 am »
What was wrong with your frame?...corrosion??...or damage?....iv just had a yz250l frame sand blasted....its almost fell apart with corrosion.....lot of welding req.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2010, 09:40:07 am »
The frame has been cartwheeled, so the rear sub is all bent out of whack and cracked up. Luckily for me, Nathan S was sympathetic to my cause and kindly donated a donor frame that the sub frame can be salvaged from. I have stripped and crack tested the frames and I noticed that there seems to be a common fault where the top rear engine cradle tubes join the "Backbone" of the frame. Cracking in this area was detected as well as around the bushings through the frame where the cylinder head stay mounts. As per usual, the frames typically rust at the downtube gusset area, the frame i intend to repair is clean in this area though.

Offline rocketfrog

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2010, 09:43:03 am »
Not only that, the drunk at the yamaha factory must have had one too many saki's the night before the left hand footpeg bracket was welded on, because he missed the world!