Author Topic: TS 400  (Read 2705 times)

DR

Re: TS 400
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2010, 09:50:13 pm »
that's a very nice Apache Bill 8) gotta love the old slugs for their styling if nothing else. Price will sort the tyre kickers from the genuine buyers though the genuine buyer might be a while coming at that price..wonder what the exchange rate these days? :P dreamin' ::) hopefully have my 250L looking near as good next year ;)   

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2010, 10:00:54 pm »
price is fantasy...

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2010, 10:14:03 pm »
Nice old bike.... Looks like good value to me the brochure that is
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 10:15:34 pm by oldyzman »
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

DR

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 06:45:46 am »
The price maybe wishful thinking Luke but given the fact it's an enthusiasts bike all it's going to take is one cashed up enthusiast ;)

Don't know if you remember the 'yellow bling TS250' a few years back..everyone laughed and ridiculed the seller. The bike sold for around $5000US and it didn't even have lights! :o

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 08:13:54 am »
Looking good ! Although it looks a bit like a 550 from some angles... :D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 08:32:20 am »
Don't know if you remember the 'yellow bling TS250' a few years back..everyone laughed and ridiculed the seller. The bike sold for around $5000US and it didn't even have lights! :o

Markets changed Bill, you can buy a pretty decent CZ for that these days.  ;D
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 08:51:49 am »
Don't know if you remember the 'yellow bling TS250' a few years back..everyone laughed and ridiculed the seller. The bike sold for around $5000US and it didn't even have lights
That bike produced our first and only tiff Doc. ;D Ah the memories!
 I wish I'd kept the photos of it so I could use them to illustrate an article on the joys of over restoration and another on false advertising. :)
The reason I found it so repulsive was that the seller advertised it as a perfect restoration which it clearly wasn't. The Trade Me TS400 however appears to be a pretty good example of the correct way to restore a bike. I'ts not a bargain though.

DR

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2010, 09:36:59 am »
 :D I knew you'd remember it Mark. Somewhere I still have the pic of the bling TS but typically can't find it when I want it ::) I never read a lot into the descriptions as rarely do the 2 match but I can understand the resentment towards false/misleading advertising as I think everyone has been ripped off on the odd occasions not just with bikes. Top dollar yes but there's probably an enthusiast somewhere who's thinking right at this very moment.. should I or shouldn't I? Certainly be a nice thing to have in the garage that's for sure ;)

firko

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2010, 10:37:55 am »
I hope you can find the photos Doc.....I don't have any problems with bling, in fact I'd rather see a blinged up bike than some of the shitboxes that some people think are presentable. What gets up my nose though is when punters confuse bling with restoration. Chroming, anodizing and polishing everything to within a poofteenth of what it originally looked like isn't a restoration. Having done both show standard restos and blinged up hottys, I know very well that a proper restoration is a much harder proposition. That's why I don't do them any more and admire blokes like Husky Pete and the other guys who do it properly.

DR

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2010, 10:39:03 pm »
Agree'd Firko, full resto's are way out of my league and a big step up from what I play with. I'm not really sure that I'd like to do one as I'm simply far too impatient ::) 'IF' I ever attempt anything remotely like a resto it'll be my original RM400C. It's my favorite and it just so happens I have 2..almost..1 that can be ridden and one that I can go silly on over the course of a decade or so as that's probably how long it'd take me :P anyway the topic hijack at hand..

Bling TS250

I can't remember the worded description but from memory I never actually specifically categorically stated  it was a resto ;D I argued that regardless of the price or any written words it was 'nice' and I liked it and that's why I posted it. You argued that it was nothing like a resto, far too much bling and gleam but again I had to argue that it wans't so far removed and infact there was quite a bit of polished alloy on the early TS250's. Bullshat you said. I stood firm, you stood firm, an evil wind blew and the topic died a natural death. That was fun..must do it again :D

here we go..the infamous 1972 TS250J 'woods bike it was advertised as' only thing, I can't find the full right side veiw and that's the one that really appealed to me and caused the stir ::)

I still say it's not so far removed.. ;D

« Last Edit: November 25, 2010, 10:42:43 pm by Doc »

trailietrash

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 10:55:00 pm »
That is so clean it puts a cold shiver down my spine... brrrrr..... :o  ;D

and no clips on the fuel line to the carb scares me even more  ;D ;D

firko

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 09:14:14 am »
The years haven't dulled the pain ;D.
As I said earlier, I've got no problems with bling....I LIKE bling. My whole problem with the above bike was with the sellers gushy description of his meticulously restored bike. As shiny as that bike is, it's a long, long way from a restoration. What it is is a nicely prepped stripped down paddock basher that was worth $1500 tops (in 2007 money), not the crazy 5k it supposedly went for.

I've got a lot of time for Doc and regard him as a friend but I suspect that if the bike was a DT1 Yamaha instead of one of his precious Hammamatsu products he wouldn't have been so defensive of it ::).

DR

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 08:31:35 am »
 :D Firko, I've really no issues at all with your argument. The only thing I am defensive about is the fact I thought it looked really nice for a dirty old TS250 8) probably is only worth about $1500 and it sure isn't a resto but that doesn't take away from the fact that when I saw it I liked it ;) Would I be 'so defensive' if it were a DT1 converted to MX..you bet! Converted trailies are my favorite Mark, I've just picked myself up an old HT90 I wish to go to town on..moreso than the TS90 project I've underway :) hopefully it'll ne a 'nice' bike when finished also ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2010, 08:33:41 am by Doc »