Author Topic: Is this Frame Salvagable?????  (Read 1987 times)

IT400C

Is this Frame Salvagable?????
« on: November 21, 2010, 11:49:40 pm »
Hi Guys,

Is this frame salvagable?  If so, How?  What would be the best method?   ??? ???

I've never worked with a frame this bad before, but I have the matching numbers motor in near perfect condition, and this bike has some history.  Well, to me it does anyway.   ::)

The motor was pulled and used in something else years ago (and was given a top to bottom rebuild not long before I bought it), but the frame has been sitting out in the weather for years...   :'(

Thanks, Tony

(sorry, I may have overcorrected acouple of the photos to get the rust to show more clearly)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Is this Frame Salvagable?????
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 07:50:58 am »
Anything can be repaired Tony.....you need to sandblast it and then go around with a hammer and give it a tap to see where its thin....give me a ring.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 08:06:04 am »
Comes under the category of not worth it, you can probably find a better one.
formerly Marc.com

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 08:08:06 am »
you know the number you want stamped on the new frame. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

IT400C

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 10:38:10 am »
Anything can be repaired Tony.....you need to sandblast it and then go around with a hammer and give it a tap to see where its thin....give me a ring.

John, I'll give you a ring today, thanks.

I'd like to salvage the frame if I can, but only if it's going to be safe to use....  I think there's a 1 in 4 chance that this was my fathers bike back in '76 - and even if it's not Dad's, I know who the other 3 owners were too...   ;)

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 10:47:11 am »
they were pretty thick tubes on them old girls so a little thinning from rust should still be ok. the trick is to remove the rust from the inside of the tubes as well, as it can rattle it's way out of some of the openings over time leaving unsightly staining.
one bloke on this forum told me that after blasting a frame, he smoothed some liquid metal/devcon over the heavily pitted areas, then sanded it back for that smooth finish before painting.
"flat bickie"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:51:39 am »
You're not going to know until you get it blasted, but my gut feeling is that it will be OK.
Both my DT125A and YZ125X had areas that were this ugly, and (after repairs) they've both been fine despite some fairly hard use. The little DT, in particular, lands from jumps like a bag of cement and has a pretty crappy looking construction under the engine. I was a bit paranoid about it through the first few meetings, but there's been no signs of drama.

Like Vandy said, they're made from very thick walled tubing, so some pitting isn't automatically enough to render it useless.
And because they seem to be fairly low grade tube, welding up holes/pits doesn't wreck the grain structure of the steel.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 12:59:56 pm »
yeah, definitely mild steel tubing - IT's didn't go to Chrome Moly frames until the F in 1979.

DR

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 01:17:39 pm »
Tony I've started with frames of much the same condition and no issues as of yet..surface rust/minor pitting can be easily sorted by blowing a few coats of a spray putty/leveler over the entire frame after blasting. I don't think it'd turn out too bad and if it is the frame you you think it is then it's worth it regardless ;)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »
Ask Ji!