Author Topic: Farleigh Castle 2011  (Read 27292 times)

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
Re: Farleigh Castle 2011
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2011, 11:06:01 am »
just got back had a ball we only ended up with 3 riders as steve baker
broke his hand a week before going he still went over but couldnt ride
which made it hard with 3 riders we actually finished ahead of denmark in each race
but they had 4 riders in the end it was close only 10 points between 11th and 9th
all the bikes had jetting issues and a few other problems but they generally went good
just riding with all the ex world and ama champs was unreal had jim gibson on the line next to me
track was awsome best track i have ridden (second best was at farleigh last year) ha
huge crowd with aussie flags waving at various points around track was unreal took some helmet cam footage hope it comes out ok will load a heap of pictures on ozvmx soon
thanks to dave king and matt milsom for his bike.you wouldnt believe it but started the 490 maico
for last mxdn race and it blew a base gasket doh so matty gave me his black super trick 490 with a schmitz engine and reed he had not even ridden it yet i was the test pilot ha
ran great even got a good start i can see why they put reed valves on them
tm bill was there kept us laughing all weekend and the amount of legends there was amazing
walk through the pits and they were everywhere bit jet lagged will put more on later 
follow me to first turn

Offline firko

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2011, 11:24:45 am »
Good work old mate. That's a meeting that's getting higher on my bucket list every time you guys write about it. Flower Pot Ben told me he had a chat with you. Who the fluck is Crocodile Dundee? I wasn't aware Hoges could ride ;D
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 11:32:48 am by firko »
'68 Yamaha DT1 enduro, '69 Yamaha 'DT1 from Hell' '69 DT1'Dunger from Hell, '69 Cheney Yamaha 360, 70 Maico 350 (2 off), '68 Hindall Ducati 250, Hindall RT2MX, Hindall YZ250a , Cycle Factory RT2MX flat tracker, Yamaha 1T250J, Maico 250 trials, '71, Boyd and Stellings TM400, Shell OW72,750 Yamaha

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 28, 2011, 02:21:54 pm »
Brad, john and john we missed you.   ???  ???

;D  ;D

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 06:24:54 pm »
Brad, john and john we missed you.   ???  ???

;D  ;D

When did you change your name Chris?

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2011, 08:01:37 am »
Good one Rusty. I'm green with envy. Their not bad blokes those poms.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2011, 04:45:55 pm »
John, seems like Dave is just like my ex-girlfriends.  Can never remember my name.

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2011, 07:54:03 pm »

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2011, 12:50:48 am »
i am just 50 now and can legaly forget somones name. so just to recap, john, brad and chris ....we missed you, BUT rusty did a very good job of entertaining us . I even got to meet TM Bill from some little island off the coast of oz.  Expect a A list of late 80s star USA riders for 2012.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2011, 04:14:34 am »

Offline 09.0

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2011, 08:02:14 pm »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2011, 10:05:41 pm »
i am just 50 now and can legaly forget somones name. so just to recap, john, brad and chris ....we missed you, BUT rusty did a very good job of entertaining us . I even got to meet TM Bill from some little island off the coast of oz.  Expect a A list of late 80s star USA riders for 2012.
Oh so you can now legally race in the over 50's Dave.. even though you did last year ;)
We really missed not being there this year and are definately aiming to be back next year! Sounds like it'll be even bigger again especially if the yanks bring some late 80's superstars.. I bet they hate getting beaten!

TM BILL

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 04:21:29 pm »
I was fortunate enough to get to farleigh this year all be it as a spectator  ;D having been there back in the day (79 was the last time i think ) and with what i have read / seen on forums and magazines i thought i knew what to expect  ;) WRONG    ::) ::) unless you experience the event ist hand (even as a spectator) you cant possibly begin to imagine just how big and how great the event is  8)
The thing that really amazed me is that the guys who put together and run this event do it with Swiss precision yet maintain an atmosphere that is so casual and  relaxed . Over the past 40 odd years i have attended 100s of MX events and this event would have to be in the top 3 (probably #1 if i rode  :D )

The quality of racing and speed of of the top riders was outstanding , if anyone is considering entering the event dont under estimate the level of fitness required as that track got bloody rough at the end .A big shout out to Rusty (holeshot buddy) the bloke did you guys real proud  8) i think Russ was on the ground for less than 6 days i dont know if thats the secret to avoiding jet lag but theres no way i could do that. Rusty really held his own on bikes he had never ridden before and you blokes should be bloody proud of him he was a top ambassador for Aussie VMX  :)

I know 125cc racing raises the odd eyebrow on here but the Poms vs frogs pre 83 125 challenge was brilliant racing , over 50 of the buggers and if you missed a shift you lost 10 places thats how close the racing was .

The Riders
The talent pool at Farliegh was both wide and deep   :) from former world champions and MXDN winners to former top national championship contenders to the club level riders everybody gave it their all.
Stand out performaces for me were Mark Eastwood who is such a nice bloke as well as a super quick rider and has a real passion for the sport .
Jeff stanton , all the yanks were bloody good blokes but JS has still got it  :) the guy is super quick and super fast and though i never saw him race in the day it was as if the clocks had been turned back.

Dave Thorpe , Dave and his offsider Dickie Dye rode every race alternativley over the weekend for charity . a huge effort and both of them were still smiling at the end of the event.

Neil Hudson , Neil had his swansong ride at Farliegh on the super trick YZM 500 and still looked as smooth and fast as he did 30 yrs ago when he lifted the 250cc world title.

There were so many stand out performances but all those who competed put on a spectacular show for the very large crowd.

A special mention must go out to team spain who really looked the part , what they lacked in speed they made up for in style even if some rude git from down under was heard to nickname them the Tangerine Armada

The bikes
From the trick YZM 500 Neil Hudson rode to the clubmans maico the standard of bikes was superb, im always impressed by the std of bikes in Australia but this really took it to a new level. Personally im not sold on the use of modern conventioal forks on twin shocks , but hey when in Rome  :-\

In the past iv'e been vocally critical of single shock bikes converted to twin shocks and also pre 90 racing  ::)

Well i will pubicly say that why it still seems a bit strange the std of modification from linkage to twinshock was in all cases i saw first class and a casual spectator would never pick the anomolly.

The pre 90 racing was fantastic and again the std of machine was absoultley stunning , stepping away from the debate weather we need them on this side of the world or not , you cant deny a full field of pre 90 500s is bloody fantastic to watch and hear.

The event
From a spectators point of view i dont believe there was any thing the organisers could have done better  :) entry for the 3 days was a poultry 20 quid the best 20 quid i spent on my entire trip. To put it into perspective my youngest daughter ( who hates all thing motorcycling with a passion after being dragged to events all through her childhood ) came along to the event to spend time with dad on the condition that she got to stay at a nice B&B and went shopping in Bath  ;D well all that went out the window ,after the fri night party and Madness tribute band she decided that she would stay at the track and party again sat night staying in my tent and relgating me to the cramped comfort of the rental Astra ;D leaving the pre paid posh B&B in bath empty  ::) But you get the picture this event has somthing for everybody

How these guys run such a slick opperation yet maintain a fun and relaxed enviroment for all i dont know , but im bloody glad they do ;D

The hard luck story

Steve Baker (Odd1) was due to ride for the Aussie team but broke his hand a couple off weeks out  :( Steve kindly offered me his ride as soon as he realised he wasn't able to ride  :) I shyly declined due to a lack of fitness and talent  ;D

Steve still attended the event and even worked as a marshall on the Saturday  8) steve was to ride a husky prepared by legendary Pommy bike builder and technical magician Rod Spry  :) Steve and I along with my dad travelled up to rods Wshop post event and were treated to a tour and some legendary Lancashire hospitality  8) but that trip deserves a thread of its own.

Bottom line this is an event every VMXer must have on their bucket list , I will try to return next year and enter one of the support classes as to compete in the main event i will miss spectating  ::)

Thanks again to the organisers for putting on a brilliant event  8)

« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 06:21:02 pm by TM BILL »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 04:59:49 pm »
Farleigh Castle 2011 was all go for me, i had the flights booked even kept the wife happy by tacking on a trip to Europe & USA then Guiseppe the great changed the Italian World MXGP date which meant that the Farleigh Castle event had to be shifted so i ended up missing it by 5 days.
The closest i got to anything motocross whilst i was in UK was driving past a natural terrain track about 90 miles north of London beside the M6.
Then on the way home i dropped by Glen Helen and missed the Oldtimers International MX by the same 5 days, again the closest i got was taking a picture of the start strait.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2011, 10:29:13 am »
Jeez TM, to knock back odd1s offer due to his lack of fitness and ability was a shame-I'm sure he could have trained harder on your behalf :D :D :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2011, 01:43:13 pm »
Steve and I along with my dad travelled up to rods Wshop post event and were treated to a tour and some legendary Lancashire hospitality  8) but that trip deserves a thread of its own.

:o  :P   

Best is in the West !!