Author Topic: Farleigh Castle 2011  (Read 27293 times)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Farleigh Castle 2011
« on: November 14, 2010, 06:52:15 pm »
If you are at all interested in competing at Farleigh Castle in 2011, use this thread to ask all the questions.  Organiser Dave King can deal with the British end, and Johnny O, Holeshot Buddy, 090 or myself can deal with the Oz end.

It is a fantastic event that should be on all VMX riders' bucket list.

Hopefully, Rusty, Brad and John will keep bumping the thread with pics of them riding at the event this year (just look at John's avatar).

Captain Bilko

Re: Farleigh Castle 2011
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
Ok. Very roughly, what's the cost (just a rough idea....) :P

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2010, 08:43:26 pm »
gotta luv that picture ;D

your costs depend on how much you spend
return flight $2000 appprox, try a quantas 380 ::)
accomodation, hire car, hire motorhome etc
entrie about $220 but this may change :-X
the track is about 2 hours approx west of london
if you go yourself its not too bad
take the missus and it will cost ;)
i am going again this time i am building my own
bike too ride  (hopefully)
follow me to first turn

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2010, 09:27:33 pm »
Get a motor home. John and I split one that cost us 750-800 pounds.
Transport and accommodation .

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2010, 09:41:28 pm »
What a great airial shot.. Farleigh is without a doubt the best Vintage MX race you could ever attend. I would say you could do the race for about $3500 roughly.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2010, 10:14:25 pm »
I'll try and help here.. We entered on the Farleigh Castle website and got a 1 event International licence at sign on at Farleigh and we didn't seem to need any sort of clearance.
Support classes are Open Twinshock (Evo in Aus), over 40 Twinshock, over 50 Twinshock, a couple of Pre '90 classes and a Modern Vets class.
The main event is the Twinshock MX des Nations for teams (3 or 4 riders)from each country riding Twinshock bikes.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2010, 11:29:48 am »
MA also extended the insurance cover for the 5 riders competing overseas (Jeff Leisk included) on the basis that they all had National licences.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 11:50:28 am »
The cost will depend on how much time you spend related to the Farleigh event.  The minimum time you arrive before the racing on Saturday might best be given by Brad and John (Rusty arrived 2 weeks before, I arrived 1 week before and Brad and John arrived the Wednesday before).  A motorhome is essential for staying in the paddock during the event.

My costs (approx);

Airfare   $2000
Motorhome   $750
Entry fee   $200
Racing costs (tyres, fuel etc) $200
Food, refreshments etc $500

Total of around $3650.  I purchased a bike over there, but haven't included that cost.  I am leaving it there to ride again next year.  Bikes were supplied FOC to other riders.

Offline suzuki27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:56:29 pm »
Can you guys give us an idea of the competition. How long were the Support Class races?
How did Johnnie , Brad , etc find the pace- Was it as quick or quicker than the Nats here in Australia?

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2010, 07:07:25 pm »
For a Entry  log on to www.farleighcastle.co.uk   , BUT  we wont be taking entries for at least 3 weeks yet.

Insurance can be delt with in 2 ways.  If you have a australian MCA licence you can get your federation to contact sonia goggin  at the ACU in england for start permission. Its that easy.  

Or just turn up and take out a 1 event licence at the track.      Shayne king used the first option.

If you are a ozzie/NZ  but lives in the uk just turn up and do a day licence.

We turned away over 200 entries in 2010, 2011 will be no different. Please dont leave entering till a few months before the event or you will be dissapointed.   I will post on here when entries are open.

There are classes to fit any age and ability so dont worry about being out of your depth...you wont.

Bikes...if you want to bring your own bike contact david white CEO at motorcycling australia as he is organising a container to transport bikes direct to farleigh castle.   How cool to be working out of a sea container! very factory!!.

Expect many current GP guys to be riding the event in 2011... i have already got josh coppins coming back and hopefully ben townley, both on 89 RC 500s in the evo class.

I also have been talking to the worlds most famous MAN,  expect him to be with us along with a 1980s USA MX megastar!

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2010, 07:10:10 pm »
Can you guys give us an idea of the competition. How long were the Support Class races?
How did Johnnie , Brad , etc find the pace- Was it as quick or quicker than the Nats here in Australia?

12 mins + 1.     I would say the nations race was fast  but the support classes going on Rustys pace was similar to your national series.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2010, 07:12:34 pm »

The moto's were 20mins for the Des Nations class and about 15mins for the support classes on a rough natural terrain track.
The competition in the Des Nations was very tough and the pace up front was waaay faster than the Nats in Australia.
You need to be pretty good to get into the top 20 in that class. Support races are definately easier except the one with Josh Coppins in it!

Offline dave king

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2010, 10:58:08 pm »
Dave , so you are saying we can have a one day license  on the day ( without holding a  national license) as long as we are pre entered . If that is correct , that would suit me fine .

yes.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2010, 10:24:22 am »
The start ...... 15 secs + 5 sec board and forward falling gate.  Slight uphill.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 06:32:17 pm »
The 2010 event was 2 days of racing, with the Friday reserved for machine examination and sign-on.  The race format for support events had to be shortened a bit after Saturday saw insufficient time to complete 2 races for each class.  The MXdN races remained unchanged.  Whether or not practice and 2 rounds can be slotted into 1 day remains to be seen.  Dave ????

The start line is perpendicular to the left side of the start straight which ends with a tight left turn around a tree.  Hence, the inside line is quickest.  If you get a choice, start down at the left side on the gate.

Out of first corner; holeshot.