Author Topic: Nothing new  (Read 7127 times)

firko

Nothing new
« on: November 08, 2010, 11:24:46 am »
It's easy to think that 4v twin exhaust port technology is a fairly recent thing. Not really, here's the hot new Ariel engine from 1932.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing new
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 04:12:39 pm »
  The old saying is 'there is nothing new under the sun'. 
 Probably the only real improvements in engine design were developed as a result of octane improvements in petrol, and also dramatic improvement in engine oils.
  In the case of fuel improvers it doesn't seem that long ago [to me] that petrol came in 68 octane, changing up to 72 octane in time for the EK Holden which had its compression raised up to about 7.5:1 I think it was,to take advantage. My '54 model T110 {8.5:1 compression and cast iron head]which I had in '58 sounded like it was about to disintegrate if I let it idle. Thankfully it had manual retard with the Lucas racing magneto fitted to the model. I notice that on the model shown the cyl. barrel is not through bolted which indicates its comp ratio was probably about 5.5:1 to handle the fuel available. One can imagine the power of this thing if it had modern fuel and an appropriate comp. ratio! cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 10:48:38 pm »
Yes I believe 4v twin exhaust port technology was quite common in the 30’s.

I was watching Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade the other night and I was looking closely at the bike chase scene.
The two Dr. Jones were being chased by what seemed like the very same Germans that Colonel Klink used to man Stalag 13

Looking closely at one of the 1938 chase bikes you can clearly see the twin exhausts forming into one.
How advanced were those pesky Germans back then, it would be many decades later when Honda would copy this very design for their XR range.

Sean Connery looks on in amazement at the leading axle front forks and alloy rim of another 1938 bike.

No wonder Maico’s are so good if Germany was this advanced back then.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 10:51:21 pm »
And I would just like give a warning to everyone too.
I was quite unaware of this but when Indy pokes his jousting stick into the wheel of the pursuing German it can actually make a bike explode.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 10:58:55 pm »
Your just truely amazing Geoff.......how does he do it folks? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 08:48:21 am »
Thats right you only got to look inside a Adler engine, forks and shocks to see how far ahead the Germans were in the 50's, they were streaks ahead of the English bikes. Amazing stuff.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 11:39:43 am »
yes lots of things on bikes are by no means first.

in 1910/12 Indian released their 8 valve twin cylinder 1000cc board track racers,  i saw a 30's DKW factory special in the Birdwood museum with a supercharger on it. what does amaze me is that this early stuff never caught on till many decades after
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 01:03:13 pm »
If we cast out minds back to the radical oval piston 8 valve two conrod NR500, exhaust on top 4 stroke GP bike, Triumph had been there first in the 1930s, I mean if both pistons come up to TDC at the same time you may as well join them together, pistons looked like sardine cans.

A lot of ideas are just waiting for their moment and superior materials and machine tools to become available.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2010, 05:23:26 pm »
wonder how many of the limited release NR750's have actually been ridden?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »
wonder how many of the limited release NR750's have actually been ridden?

I have actually seen NR750s on the road in Japan from time to time. They come up for sale but not my cup of sushi/
formerly Marc.com

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 05:17:54 am »
ww2 stopped most of the development in most things auto as industry geared for armament.supercharged bikes got banned in road racing after the war
jim

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2010, 09:01:40 am »
Well Indy hardly got any bites
How about something serious then
Adjustable shock mounts. It was probably a means of adjusting the ride height / hardness of the rear end rather than increasing travel.

Does any on know what year it was ?

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 08:14:24 pm »
The first time I saw that rear unit adjustment device was on the model LE Velocette which would have been about '53. cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 11:27:42 pm »
I think you are right Geoff, upright for a pillion or racked forward for a lightweight rider. Bike is about a 56 MAC Velocette. They kept this frame for all the Venom's and Thruxton's as well.
Grahame.
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2011, 01:12:31 am »
And I would just like give a warning to everyone too.
I was quite unaware of this but when Indy pokes his jousting stick into the wheel of the pursuing German it can actually make a bike explode.

Very good tip, Geoffrey. And let's not forget that we learnt from The Mechanic that if you ride off a cliff on a 400 Husky you will also explode... and that many Germans chased around on Triumph twins during the Great Escape years....we've got a lot to learn...
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....