Author Topic: Trackmaster frame for flat track  (Read 13885 times)

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: Trackmaster frame for flat track
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 09:04:07 pm »
Bit of a bitsa. might make a project bike but a bit pricey, later swingarm and something not right a bout that front cradle section.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 10:42:14 pm »
It looks kosher to me Freaky. Not a bad price too.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 11:11:01 pm »
you reckon. i though that was a bit expensive for what it is.  The single down tube cut into the twin cradle does my head in.  and the later wide swingarm i reackon look a bit shit.  Maybe i just like my stuff to look a bit earlier and neater.

2 grand would get you a complete roller and a shitty motor, be a better staring point. at around 3-400 it might be ok to use as a project motor. wouldnt pay more any more. :-X
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 11:15:06 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 11:35:20 pm »
Maybe the late swingarm is a bit out there but the rest seems pretty right, even if it has had some mounts removed. Vegas Bob reckons it's the real thing, probably made for a CZ or TM Suzuki. Genuine Trackmasters are getting thin to the ground these days, plenty of replicas around but I prefer the real deal, as you do. Speaking of Trackmasters and Bob, I've got a good heads up on a Sonic B44 rigid for the right money. I'm broke right now but he reckons he'll hold it for me as long as I like.....I'll have to sell something to get it..............Let me think about it ;D.

firko

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 10:12:12 am »
Freaky, Bob got back to me again after doing some research on the frame.....
Mark, It is a Trackmaster for a XL250 /350. The rest of the mounts are nissing, does not look modified. I would want to see detailed photos of the motor carriage area from the bottom. Lots of rust through on plated frames.DO NOT BUY IT UNTIL YOU SEE THE CLOSE UP PHOTOS. Not all of them, just some that did not get cleaned enough when plated that day. Not sure that is a great buy unless some one needs it. Bob
So, I guess the jury's out on the Trackmaster.

This is another good example of having someone on the ground in the USA who 1: knows shit and 2: can check things out for you. The great thing is that many Yanks will go right out of their way to help Aussies out as you well know Freakster.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 12:24:03 pm »
Hey i said it was a pig from the first line, and you didnt believe me...........
Maybe i need to talk with an accent.  Still stand by the thinking its not really that good of a buy.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 10:15:40 am »
I wasn't disputing what you said at all Freaky, I just thought the price was OK, I still do, even though you and Bob reckon it's not a good deal. Try and find a genuine XL350 Trackmaster for under a grand. Anything decent by any known maker goes for $1000+ these days unless you get lucky. This bike might not be so pretty or even be one of the fashionable replica brands but for a vintage legal genuine Trackmaster needing minimal engine mount work I reckon $700 is fair value.

Bob's onto a Knight XL frame if anyone is interested.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 12:27:38 pm »
NO probs Firko.
I just see a lot of Rollers for that sort of coin ( Around a grand ), and i reckon thats a much better way to go, you know how expensive the right tripples are, longer stems, period forks specially if there are ceriani/betors, then add in the correct wheel and to buy all that stuff after wooulds you could be paying $700 for each part.

There are some good deals out there if you want one, i just havent seen any Value for money frame deals in a while.  I'd say 3-500 is about the max for a frame unless its got numbers or letter welded in the front gussett :O)
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2010, 10:18:01 am »
Here's an alternative to the above Trackmaster. It seems to have a bit of history with the Bostrom family as well. There's nothing exotic in the running gear, stock Honda wheels and forks, Husky seat and a Maico tank. I suspect this may be an MX frame, similar to the Champion XL Honda on eBay. The 650 phone prefix indicates it's in the Monterey, California area so it'd be an easy shipper.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-HONDA-XL250-CHAMPION-mx-frame-Honda-CHAMPION-FRAME-HONDA-XL250-MX-AHRMA-VINTAGE-MX-XR-CR-/150513780362?pt=US_motorcycles&hash=item230b52068a#v4-37

1974 Honda XL350 side port Sanderson rolling chromoly frame. Made by Sanderson Headers for Dave Bostrom

$1200

Steve  650-291-7788   

Or this C&J frame. C&J made their name with this frame, both in desert and flat track (different frame geometry though) It looks a tad like Jims mystery frame too. :-\

Early C&J frame for Honda XL350 side port. Has brake lever and foot pegs. $900 obo
Rick     661-435-0880     [email protected] 

Or, if you're looking for a ready to race package, this Champion framed XL might fill the need. It ain't cheap but it's got all of the bells and whistles.

Original Champion framed Honda XL350/Powroll 440 stroker.  Fresh nickel.  New: Motor (not yet raced) with extensive head work,
Mikuni, K&N, Jemco pipe, tank/seat, chain, front rim, tires, Progressive 418 shocks. 35mm Ceriani’s with wide clamps.
 Bike is virtually Brand New.  Several parts motors and extra parts available.  San Luis Obispo, CA.
$5,500
(805)748-5475

« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 10:40:12 am by firko »

firko

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 10:10:02 am »

1971/72 Trackmaster frame and swing arm, originally for a Yamaha DT1 or RT1. Front mounting brackets were cut off
(blue tape notes original bracket boss location) and brackets were welded on (now cut off) for a '71 Triumph T120 650cc engine.
Any questions email me first please. Located in Santa Cruz, CA
Price: $1,750  email: [email protected]

I'd say 3-500 is about the max for a frame unless its got numbers or letter welded in the front gussett :O)
I think those days are long gone Freaky. I've been watching the frame prices a lot in recent times and I haven't seen anything much under $1000. This Tracky seems expensive but genuine Hensley era frames are becoming valuable.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 12:44:37 pm »
YEp but are they selling them ? i got a guy with a DT1 track with widend swing arm hapy to take $600 for it.  ( and it still has the mounts.)

i think new ones are ony $2k so why would you spend $1700 on that shitter.

Anyway more money for our retirement.........
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 02:47:11 pm »
I agree, that bloke's pissing into the wind expecting $1750 for that frame but having said that, besides the occasional bargain like my $200 Trackmaster and $45 'no-name' frame, unless you know someone who's prepared to give you a sweet mate's rate deal, I still reckon you don't get much for under a grand on eBay, VFT or Marks Swapmeet, where most of us are forced to do our shopping. If you can find me one of these (below) for $600 I'll go for it an anything else you can find. Do you have a photo of the $600 frame Freaky? Who made it?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2010, 03:49:28 pm »
That bikes metro Don's Rigid sonic, not sure there where that many Rigids made for the DT1 if only a handful , neils maybe also Keiths with Neil keen making them.

Kyle had a trackmaster with a Gringo in it but it was for a DT1 oringinally for sale, but that was twin shock like mine but with the later frame and a widend swing arm. Sure he was asking $600,
you can see its a bit Differant to my early trackmaster.

Heres a few other motor versions in that frame :

And this one for no other reason than i just love this bike....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 04:40:05 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

firko

« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2010, 04:20:08 pm »
Speaking of Sonic rigids.....Here's a shot of Neilsons BSA Goldstar Sonic he got off Tom Horton. I love these things, my friend Wayne Sumner has an almost identical bike that's on display in Dan Rouitts museum.