Author Topic: big pink  (Read 6545 times)

firko

big pink
« on: January 14, 2008, 11:14:31 pm »
For those who have been around long enough to remember here's my legendary old '73 440, 'Big Pink' named after the fluro pink Maier plastic Rick Doughty at Vintage Iron had made for me back in '92. It was a super fast bike but best of all, it really pissed off the conservatives.
I was a lot younger, much faster and heaps slimmer back then (that's me holding her up next to the late Geoff Eldridge in the fancy trackies, Mt Kembla Nats '94.) and a fluro pink Maico seemed like a good idea at the time. My 250 was fluro orange and equally as tasteless.
Ahhh, those were the days.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: big pink
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 06:16:30 am »
Firko, I never knew you wore those 80s pants("jams"?)and had pink fenders...........I have to admit in 92 I was probably not a fan of pink fenders, but they were the correct shape-better than acerbis and late fenders on a vintage bike....I guess I was one of those "conservatives" then. ;D ;D

Besides I already had the baggy cargo shorts, hiking boots and pushed down tube socks style by then..wait that is still how I dress, oops ;D ;D

I can see Jeff Stanton on his CR250with flour red fenders, but the wife called them pink on my 93 CR250 :( :( :(

We had a club member in late 92 buy a very clean 74 TS400(I had passed on it since it was too clean to hack-and had no use for a road bike or display)-really tricked it out, but made it "the pink thing"-then he smoked us in the vintage novice class. I complained that  he should be moved up, but nothing changed-
Finally after taking a hell of a roost I got by him on my trusty 250 KTM-and actually pulled away. I was promptly moved to intermediate in club racing :o :o
imagine that.
Life is suddenly very Monaro

firko

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 07:27:21 am »
James....It wasn't me in the ugly and by then out of fashion Jams. That's my mate the late Geoff Eldridge, the owner/publisher of Australasian Dirt Bike magazine who was killed a month later in the Nevada Rally. He had no taste.
I am the guy in the fabulous pink board shorts and Rocky and Bullwinkle t shirt. I have always been a fashion leader.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 07:46:02 am »
Ok, Firko those were shorts you were wearing-and they look baggy and long, so your'e ok. Bullwinkle shirt earns style points as well, though not as cool as my Ren and Stimpy shirt ;D.......I wonder where that shirt is, or Pearljam, Niravana, STP, Alice In Chains, Rollins Band shirts are? Well, we will never know....
I could not fit into them either.

BTW I wore wht Shoei VFX helmet, blue Sinsisalo pants, wht MSR boots( white of course in the 90s), Bradshaw AXO jersey....by 96 I realized what a fashion disaster I was-and pomptly bought new MSR gear, in black and purple ;D ;D

firko

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 07:53:04 am »
I know where all of my T shirts are. I've kept 'em all. I've got a Henry Rollins Band tee too. Back then I wore a white Bell Magnum open face with Smith goggles, red and yellow Rat Maico nylons, a genuine blue and yellow Wheelsmith jersey, white O'Neil boots, and white Jofama gloves. Kinda close to what I own today.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 05:50:27 pm »
I love it....I'm with you MJ, sinisalo SCD gear all the way with white AXO boots and vfx helmet, but my ultimate MX fashion didn't end there, I accesorised with my outfit with the ultimate MULLET.long hair out the back of the helmet flapping in the wind got all the pit tooties hot to trot.......at least until the helmet came off.
Got photos somewhere, might as well embarass myself totally.

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 06:02:57 pm »
Nice! The good old mullet. Business up front and party out the back!  ;) Hey Firko, you know who to PM if you ever want to part with some of those treasures, especially the Maico/Rat nylons.... and not because i want to get in your pants either  :-\

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 06:56:12 pm »
You too Evo? - ya poor bastard.... somewhere hidden away is a photo of me with a mullet standing next to my KX250A4.
I don't think it wasn't called a 'mullet' back in '79, it was just a haircut!
But you show me yours and I'll show you mine!
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 07:26:17 pm »
Never been known to step down from a mullet off !!!!!
Perhaps we should take this "main stream" and see what others have to offer.

Doc

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 08:16:56 pm »
here ya James..my Ren and Stimpy collection  :D

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 08:18:03 pm »
It's a big ask - we'll probably end up on the 'Mullet Hunter' website!
Do you think Firko cropped his head on purpose?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

firko

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 11:15:43 pm »
Sadly I must report that I too had a Mullet. 
Your Ren and Stempy collection is a tad disturbing Doc!
Brad, my mate Bernie now wears my Rat Maico pants and the blue Wheelsmith Jersey is retired. I've got now Metro Maico pants that are almost identical to the Rat version and I have a red/yellow Flat Rabbit replica Wheelsmith jersey. The white O'Neil boots are still in operation but have been joined by a pair of grey Sidis and red Axos. I now use a Bell Moto 7 or a Bieffe open face helmets or a vintage AXO helmet for the look but I'd never use it for actual hard riding. Too old. I still use the Jofama gloves I've used for 25 years but have a new pair of Sinsalos waiting to come into the team. Guy Cooper gave me six pairs of purple Scott Goggles about 12 years ago and I still have four pairs unused so won't be needing any goggles for the next decade. I use an EVS RS6 knee brace for my for my left knee and a Mueller brace for my right knee. I also have my pre 65, black pants, white jersey setup as well. Seeing that I don't race at all any more the vintage gear will only come out once a year at CD.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2008, 11:36:54 pm by firko »

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2008, 12:16:11 am »
25 years for a pair of gloves! Today thats unheard of. Im lucky to get a season out of a pair of gloves these days.

firko

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2008, 12:22:15 am »
I can't kill those gloves Brad. They're kevlar/pigskin and have seen their share of action and look it. However they are so bloody comfortable. I've had other gloves before and since but these old gems have risen above the call of duty. I remember Hans Apelgren telling me when I bought them that they were the best gloves money could buy. He was right.

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2008, 12:59:48 am »
My last mullett was more of a Seinfeld-no real length in back, just slightly more than the ears....92-94 had the whole long hair going(yes, I had hair then)-hung out my VFX, though-I was styling- wow

Gotta go listen to some Alice in Chains now.......ain't found a wat ta kill me yet....... ;D ;D