Author Topic: Ebay Fees  (Read 2387 times)

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Ebay Fees
« on: October 14, 2010, 08:05:03 pm »
I have bought many things off ebay but never have sold anything and am confused about the fees. Can someone please enlighten me? Please??

If I list a bike with no reserve and get $4000.00 as the highest bid, what will the ebay fees add up to?
If I list a bike with a reserve and get $4000.00 as the highest bid, which is above the reserve, what will the ebay fees add up to?
Are the fees different if you have a reserve?
And lastly, if I close the auction early, are there any fees?

Thanks in advance.

Ed

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: Ebay Fees
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 08:15:53 pm »
Very confusing but having just closed a ballsup ,that I had made, I can tell you that there are NO refunds for closing early.
I think a listing fee applies to an auction plus a flat $40 fee at sale.
Reserve costs .
Don,t know that one. :)
Mike
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 08:39:00 pm »
$5 to list and another $10 for a reserve auction.
http://help.ebay.com.au/Help/Selling/Fees/Selling_fees#reserve

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 08:39:40 pm »
If you sell a bike on ebay they will slug you, so the answer is to sell the bike on ebay and have the buyer pay for it by cash on pick up or direct deposit into your account

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:00:26 pm »
I only ever did one reserve.
Since then I,ve followed everyone else and set my first bid at or near what I want.
Seems to work :)
Mike
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 09:03:33 pm »
Yeah but once the item has ended by buy it now or bid, then a few days after ebay sends you an invoice for the listing fees and the fee for the sale of the item, so it doesnt matter if you get the buyer to hand the money to you outside of ebay the fees are still there to be paid. Unless, after you have sold the item, you then later contact ebay and say that the seller wouldnt pay and then does ebay reverse the selling fees back to you? Thats a bit naughty but that sounds like what people are doing to try and avoid the fees.You wouldnt get the list fees back though i dont reckon. When i havent sold something, i still get the insertion fees to pay. Insertion fees depend on photo size and quantiy too. Maico man, just pretend your gonna list and bike and it guides you through the steps and adds the fees up as you go. Just do that to see what it would cost but dont click the 'list your item now' button right at the end. That way you can get an idea of the cost.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 09:05:28 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline mudguard

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 10:46:30 pm »
Also if the buyer pays through paypal you loose a % of the purchase amount as well. Paypal is just like a bank and they always take their cut. Best if you can communicate to the buyer just after the auction has ended, to pay cash on pick up or direct deposit to your personal bank account. I have even seen in the description of adds, do not pay for item through pay pal, but i think it is not recommended to advertise this.  ???
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 11:03:21 pm »
yeah you can get banned if you ask not to be paid by paypal. Anyway there are not always fees

If you have a non business Paypal account

if you pay someone within Australia

- with a paypal e-cheque there is no fees for the reciever
- with an 'instant transfer' which uses funds directly from your bank account or money from your uploaded 'paypal stash' then there is no fees for the reciever
- with paypal using the credit card method, then yes there is a small 3%??? fee for the reciever to accept your payment.

You can also avoid paying an 'acceptance fee' if you get the buyer to do the paypal payment and when they select the payment method get them to select 'personal payment' and then select 'gift' and that way when they send you the money they pay the acceptance fee on your behalf, but you should consider this a good gesture ;)

when you do overseas payments there is an across boarder fee and even if you do 'instant transfer' which has no fees if your paying someone in Australia, there still is a fee for the overseas seller to pay. Its usually very small though. If im paying a friend overseas i just select personal payment and gift and if its  $100 then they get the exact $100  and i end up paying about $101.50 or something like that instead of them getting $98.50 or thereabouts and covering the fee at their end. if its a big time ebay shop or business, then i dont worry about it too much, they can afford a $1 or $2 fee and be thankfull that they have sold their $100 item which has probably been overpriced already and they will probably overcharge on shipping and make more dollars out of me anyway. :)

Basically if your a seller worried about fees, just chuck an extra $5 or $10 onto the start price for your own piece of mind. So if you have a item you want at least $50 for instead of starting it at $50, start it at $55 and then by the time fees if any are taken into account, you end up with about $50.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 11:14:31 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 11:14:43 pm »
In the end i think if your a seller you shouldnt complain too much about fee's. Selling on ebay is not a right, it should be seen as a priveledge and you should think how lucky you are to have a very easy and simple way to sell your unwanted stuff and get it seen by a world wide audience, all from the comfort of your chair. Think about how hard it was pre ebay, mailing stuff off my snail mail to magazines, newspapers, pinning stuff up on notice boards and loading up trailers and utes and driving to swapmeets and maybe selling nothing and just loosing money from your travelling costs.

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 05:12:46 pm »
Thanks all for the replies.
In the end i think if your a seller you shouldnt complain too much about fee's. Selling on ebay is not a right, it should be seen as a priveledge and you should think how lucky you are to have a very easy and simple way to sell your unwanted stuff and get it seen by a world wide audience, all from the comfort of your chair. Think about how hard it was pre ebay, mailing stuff off my snail mail to magazines, newspapers, pinning stuff up on notice boards and loading up trailers and utes and driving to swapmeets and maybe selling nothing and just loosing money from your travelling costs.
Probably should have explained a bit better. Don't mind paying the fees but didn't want to lose a largish chunk of the final price.
Thanks again all

Ed

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:34:38 pm »
if you put it in as a motor vehicle you will pay a flat fee of 30 or 40 dollars plus listing costs and no more when it sells. If you just put it for auction in bike parts, you will pay a percentage of final price. Thats were it gets expensive. It's all to do with how you list it.

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »
my missus does all my ebay stuff and ive only ever been charged a percentage of final sale price for fees,if you want to sell before auction ends if it has no reserve or buy now and no bids get the buyer to pay cash on pu and then you go into your ad and just up the price to a silly price like $500,000 and let it run to the end and no fees its always worked for me.cheers gary