Author Topic: LOOKING AT BUYING THIS ROTAX 500 CC MOTOR  (Read 12201 times)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
LOOKING AT BUYING THIS ROTAX 500 CC MOTOR
« on: October 12, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »
hi
no nothing about these motors except they get used a lot in usa flattrack bikes,which is where this one is.
anyone have one of these and can give me a review on these motors

Short stroke 500, new Carilla rod, 90 mm Vinolia piston, new clutches (steels and fibers), Megacycle no. 11 cam,
40mm Mikuni round slide carb, starter button, new head ported and assembled by Dan Crawford. 3 races on motor

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Re: LOOKING AT BUYING THIS ROTAX 500 CC MOTOR
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:36 pm »
All iknow is rotax make cart motors too and theyre current 2 strokes, but not sure on old 4 bangers, I do remebr a post in FT re having to check the rubber belt drives all the time, but i think they go like stink, which makes me think if its not looked after and feed parts it will blow like stink, just seems the way fast stuff is ?  basically i have no idea, but why not post up on the Ft forums in the tech section, those guys will be able to tell you for sure.

dont forget that one is REmote start so you will also need the driver and starter for it.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 09:14:11 pm »
Buy it !then give it to me !!!! ;) Mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy Cheers Tim754
Rotax built fine four stroke singles for many years before the current lot of over complicated and hideously expensive to maintain/rebuild rev boxes. (What me bias???) Lots used as ultra light aircraft engines so reliability and usable peak performance were major objectives in build and design.
Canam Sonic, ATK  Bombardier  CCM  SWM Aprilia and other quality competition builders sourced Rotax four and two stroke power for their machines.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 09:28:40 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 09:24:45 pm »
this one is electric start only i need one with a kick.sent the guy an email declining my offer to buy
jim

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2010, 09:36:52 pm »
Jim ..... Don't discount the electric leg engines....The kickstart beasties like the 500 Sonic were  um   hefty to fire up*, their electric starting system was  light ,compact and strong when most others where fat pieces of shit, not surprisingly left on more than a few various types of off road and flat track  racers.

*At least on the aircraft your had this lovely big propeller thing to grab hold of and yank down on....  :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 11:08:11 pm by Tim754 »
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 09:57:36 pm »
i was thinking of putting the engine in my gen long track roller.
no ro0m for battery also i hate push starting bikes.if i cant kick start it i dont ride
 yes it would have been great but i have a staracer tt500 yam and i dont need another 500cc
 jim

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 10:11:25 pm »
Good sidecar engine maybe
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline steve234

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 10:33:09 am »
Used allot in FT so I would imagine they are well set up for high output and longevity, hence the number used.  I have heard parts are accessable yet pricey.  Remote starter set up so no need for a battery.
Bultaco M106 Astro
Wanted: Dirt track bikes / parts / info

firko

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 10:40:50 am »
Jim, why did you discount the button start engine?...it looks to me to be a good deal, it's got all the goodies inside to make it even more bulletproof than they already are. I'm guessing it's intended for your flat tracker so the electric start would be an advantage come race day. If you didn't want to carry a battery on the bike you could always set it up for a remote battery, just using a set of jumper leads to start it. I personally wouldn't have a Rotax without the button, especially a hi-comp one like the one for sale.
Just my 2c worth!
http://dont forget that one is REmote start so you will also need the driver and starter for it.
10 minutes later......I had another look at the motor and re-read the ad and yes as Freaky says it's set up for a remote starter but it's also fitted with a factory starter motor which is clearly seen at the very front of the engine. In fact his ad says as much.." starter button". Even if the starter motor's been removed it shouldn't be too hard to find another one.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:49:52 am by firko »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:48:55 pm »
it was for the long tracker as i allready have a 500cc flatracker and a 250cc one as well.
i have a c/port xl350 and a sr500 motor if the 350 turns out not any good.i have lots off good stuff for the xl350 to run it on methenol
jim