Author Topic: aussie dollar  (Read 3992 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
aussie dollar
« on: October 11, 2010, 01:19:39 pm »
At noon (AEDT), the dollar was trading at US98.73c

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: aussie dollar
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 01:37:19 pm »
the pros are talking of bringing our $$ down,then say its not viable.. ::)
At the moment I'm not really concerned as the kids just taught me how to suck coffee up through a TimTam biscuit.. :D  bloody discustingly nice..Ah the lucky country  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:56 pm »
Try Baileys instead sitting in a spa with someone you like or your wife! Cheers Jerry

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:31:17 pm »
or a late evening port.

"They" need to be careful about bringing our dollar down - at the moment it isn't so much how strong our dollar is but how bad the US is - check the cross currencies also.  So if we de-value against a weak US $...........................
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 02:38:11 pm »
I heard the pound and the euro were going to do the same.
Get set to buy all of your dream bikes/sidecars from the mother land.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:42:39 pm »
Some pollie will fork it for us no doubt......... 

Just bought that 2 valve so im happy with the dollar ATM.......
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:07:02 pm »
The Australian dollar was higher at noon and well on its way to parity with the US dollar, as fears grow the US will renew its quantitative easing program in the coming weeks.

At 1200 AEDT, the Australian dollar was trading at 98.73 US cents, up from Friday's close of 98.19 cents. In morning trade, the unit rose above 99 US cents for the second time in five days.

Since 1700 AEDT on Friday, the "Aussie" has traded between 99.07 US cents and 98.09 cents.

Commonwealth Bank currency strategist Joseph Capurso said he expected the Aussie to break parity with the US dollar by week's end.

That would mark an historic 27-year high with the unit, which hasn't passed one US dollar since it was floated on December 8, 1983.

"I think we will get to parity this week," Mr Capurso said.

"We have eight US Federal Reserve speakers in the US this week.

"We think they are going to talk about quantitative easing, and that will put downside pressure on the US dollar this week ... so you will probably see the Aussie push up."

Quantitative easing is where the Fed buys up US treasuries so as to increase the supply of money in the economy.

It was used by the Fed in 2008 as a response to the global financial crisis.

Among those speaking this week are Fed chairman Ben Bernanke, who is to give a speech called `Monetary Policy Objectives and Tools in a Low-Inflation Environment' on Friday.

He will be speaking in Boston, Massachusetts, at a Federal Reserve Bank of Boston Conference on Revisiting Monetary Policy in a Low-Inflation Environment.

With no significant domestic data due and the international data-scene quiet for the week, Mr Capurso said he expected the unit to grind higher.

"The only thing that might spoil the parity march is if the Bank of Japan come in and start buying US dollars," he said.
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 04:35:51 pm »
the pros are talking of bringing our $$ down,then say its not viable.. ::

Are these the same PROS that didn't see the GFC coming, didn't know what to do about it when it got here, and are now denying it actually existed?  ;D

Just remember that the Aussie is only gaining parity against a very, very weak Greenback. Our gains against other currencies isn't as marked.

And for everybody complaining that the dollar is too high, there is another who reckons it is too low…

Swings and roundabouts… leave it alone and let it float like is was designed to.  ;)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 05:17:04 pm »
Do you make that shit up Alison or is it from a source you can name?? :D :D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:25:19 pm »
Do you make that shit up Alison or is it from a source you can name?? :D :D

I believe everything I read on the internet..have some faith in the media  ;)  :D

you gotta think though whats it doing to the little countries money though ?? eg:Fiji,Norfolk Is,NZud.  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 06:03:44 pm »
OMG VMX42 -we agreed  ;D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 06:12:11 pm »
The south pacific ruble is in the low to mid 70s against the greenback which is good but it's really bad compared with the aussie, the trip to the gp will be a lot more expensive than my last one a couple of years ago

Offline lyle2212

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 06:30:13 pm »
Have a look at the history of the Aussie dollar. As soon as it starts climbing the beanstalk ,they (the government) always find some way to cut it down. I,ve been cashing in Aus dollar for the Euro as I am off to Europe next march for a few weeks. But hey, if it,s still up there next march 2011 then that,s a bonus for me ,but I,m not taking any chances.  I say take advantage of the situation now..... The USA is not at all happy with China as they believe the Chinese currency is way undervalued, which is why chinese exports are booming, but that,s another story.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 06:43:33 pm »
Good old US of A always needs a 'bad guy' was Russia, Iran, Iraq,Japan have all had a go and now it's China's turn.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 06:51:46 pm »
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"