Author Topic: Yamaha YZ250b  (Read 7189 times)

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Yamaha YZ250b
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 10:28:02 am »
Thats one very complete bike to start a resto on ey ::) Any chance he listed the frame # mark?

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 10:32:53 am »
Ouch, that one hurt....deffinately missed a bargin there...doh!....still, if it was meant to be....I missed a 74 RH250 a couple of years back because I didnt keep in touch often enough....and the prick never rang me. ::)
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 10:34:53 am »
ahh, that bikes got tickets on itself :D
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 10:42:55 am »
Thats one very complete bike to start a resto on ey  Any chance he listed the frame # mark?
No KB, the bike was never listed, it was one of those word of mouth things so the numbers cdidn't come into the conversation. Even though I had no intention of keeping it,only wanting to buy it to finance another project, if I'd have kept it I would most probably have kept it 'as is' and merely tidied it up. You can't restore patina into a bike and I think that sometimes we restore the 'soul' out of our bikes. I reckon every little scratch or nick is a part of its history. Just my 2c worth.
Thats one very complete bike to start a resto on ey  Any chance he listed the frame # mark?
I had to ask what the tickets were Vandy....He told me that he puts them on to remind him of the things he's working on so he doesn't forget something. Not a bad idea methinks.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:11:17 pm by firko »

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 11:34:23 am »
actually, as gumby as that ticket system looks, i'd take that as a good sign of reference as to how well the bikes been treated.
never seen it before.
"flat bickie"

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 11:35:56 am »
looks like he just throws his old tea bags out into the garage…  ;D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 12:17:33 pm »
Firko you missed out because you cheaped out.  For the $200 difference you'd give the first option to your mate.  If you'd offered him $2,000 you would of clinched it. He tells his mate sorry, some guy offered me double what you did.  Still a cheap buy at that.

firko

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 12:38:58 pm »
Yeah Bern maybe it was being a cheap arse but when I was first told of the bike it was going for $500. I would have thought that offering $200 more than whatever his best offer was would have cut it. It's easy to play "what ifs' after the horse has bolted. I've still got my $200 MX360 to look forward to so I'm not committing hari kari over it. I've missed out on better bargains than this (The works SR 250 & 400 Kawasakis) but have also picked up some gems ($800 Mk4 Triumph Metisse) over the years so it's all a part of the game. Win some, lose some.

It also rubs it into in the naysayers who still whinge that there's no good bikes left, the 'good old boys got 'em all back in the early days apparently. Bullshit.....I've been offered two original and un molested one owner '74 Carabelas (125 and 200)for $1500 for the pair and recently had a pretty nice but blown up IT175L given to me. From the same bloke, the father of the original owner, I've acquired a complete '89 KX 125 Kawasaki that was dismantled in 1994. There's a brand new Eric Gorr ported and  re nicasilled cylinder still in the box wrapped in 1994 Los Angeles Times newspapers and a new, unused "Bills" nickel plated pipe with it, all for $400. That bike's going to my god son for Christmas for a bit of pre 90 racing.
Keep looking, there's still plenty of stuff out there. 

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 12:51:25 pm »
We get red paper tags on stuff at work, i take them home as they throw them out, plus they are on thin stainless wire. 

I love em. i have one attached to all my spare motors with notes and on the bikes too, and i write notes on them to what i did (as in if parts rebuilt) and if im getting a bike ready or working on it i stick one on the bars with a list of things to do before i go racing, or to due as a checklist. 

Only time i have got a race and forgot something was when i didnt write on the tag.  I also stick them on the throttle or the filler cap and Right OIL Fill, as i have a habbit of draining oil but never filling it back up on the same day.

I really needs visual keys.  Wrinting it down in a book never helped.  the tags do.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 12:58:10 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 02:55:41 pm »
yep Firko - couple of grand would of been a good price - I wish I had some of the  luck fall my way with bikes like you speak of  :(
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

firko

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2010, 02:11:38 pm »
I wish I had some of the  luck fall my way with bikes like you speak of
It's not really luck Ross, most people I know, even my non bike friends and rellys know I'm interested in old bikes so I've basically got a good squad of spotters on the prowl 24/7. The Carabelas came out of left field, the son of my best mate is a school headmaster in a country town and in the process of his duties he gets to meet all sorts of people from all walks of country life. In one of those school related gigs he met a bloke who just happened to be wearing a motorcycle shirt. Patrick mentioned that his dad was into vintage dirt bikes to which the guy replied that "Your dad might be interested in some of the stuff I've got". Patrick, not being the slightest bit interested in bikes wrote down the guys list and emailed it to his dad with a CC to me. Most of the stuff was the usual country fodder of old XLs and DTs but the Carabelas stood out. A quick call had the guy telling me that he's got them from the original owner in Broken Hill who'd bought them as a pair from importer Blair Harley when new. We're still thinking about buying them and will think about it again after I've paid for the new batch of American stuff that's arrived this week. One of the other bikes this bloke has is a real gem, a genuine Royal Enfield Fury 500. These are the rare as shite genuine factory scrambler the factory released for a few months in 1964 or 5.He reckons it's the only one in Australia and seeing they only made 100 or less I wouldn't doubt it.
However, I digress.....

In this little town there's an old gas station with a former wrecking yard behind it that's been shut up for years. The guy who owns the yard told Patrick that in the yard amongst the cars there's 'heaps' of bikes as well as a shed full on another property. He's invited my mate and I to come and check out the stash next time we're out there. I really look forward to that little excursion ;D. Most of it will surely be ratty old farm bikes but with all 'collections' like that, the law of averages tells us that there's just about always a rose or two amongst the thorns. I found my Triumph Metiss in a pile of wrecking yard shit in Inverell so you never know what you'll find.

The moral of the tale is that it's not luck finding old bikes, it's detective work and following through on leads. There are still shitloads of "barn find" bikes from all eras out there.....cars too so go for it.

« Last Edit: October 13, 2010, 02:18:26 pm by firko »

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2010, 08:57:49 pm »
OK - slightly off topic - 1974 Yamaha YZ250B - mechanically very good - cosmetically needs some TLC - available for $5K - know anybody that wants one?

PM me if interested.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2010, 09:52:40 pm »
Yes its not really luck that finds old bikes, its persistance. i hear of old bikes for sale and check them out. to the average joe they would not know if it was an old road bike or a OW38. let alone being able to say "its a 1970 motocrosser. so you gotta be prepared to drive the miles and get ready to go home empty handed. but take the trailer cause one dat it will be something special.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline YZ250H

• Legend
  • Back in QLD Baby !
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 10:06:07 pm »
OK - slightly off topic - 1974 Yamaha YZ250B - mechanically very good - cosmetically needs some TLC - available for $5K - know anybody that wants one?

PM me if interested.

cheers

Rossco
You teasing me now Rossco ?  ;D
Looking for YZ250C parts NOS if possible

"My inability to use emoticins in the right context is really getting me down :)
The only triple jumps he would have been doing are the hop, skip & jump.

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 11:20:36 pm »
me!!!!!!!!!!!! Not in my nature!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firko - I do know what you mean and without that network it is just that little bit harder!
1974 Yamaha YZ360B