Author Topic: Cheney BSA  (Read 6026 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
Cheney BSA
« on: October 03, 2010, 09:53:30 am »
well almost there, its more rustoration than restoration ::)

formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cheney BSA
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 10:05:46 am »
You got that yellow thing happening again Marc!!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 10:21:11 am »
Dude check out my combination wire and coil bracket, why didn't the poms do it like this.

formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 10:32:06 am »
Too simple....you gotta remember all the people working there in the old Dart where wearing white coats.......unless you where management, then you got a mustard yellow coat, so at the end of the day nobody knew who was doing what.....you could become management just by wearing a yellow coat....it's amazing they ever built a bike.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:16:41 am »
Yeah but they definitely shared the love in those days, I mean all screw threads are well represented (BSW, new BSW, UNF, BSF, Gas, Pipe, Bicycle) with Cheney slipping you 8mm metric to keep you on the ball  ::).

These young kiddies don't know they are born, try going to the parts counter with a 5/16 UNF/ Cycle thread combination inlet stud these days. Kehrist what were they thinking.
formerly Marc.com

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:34 pm »
why are you running a battery marc, or am l seeing things

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2010, 12:24:26 pm »
Dude check out my combination wire and coil bracket, why didn't the poms do it like this.

They did!!!!

That was one of the things that i found on B44GP that i did that was different to some other GP's. The bracket was original made by BSA and very similar to yours. It incorporated the head stay, coil mount and place to tie wires too.

Some time ago, i found an old fella that actually used to work for BSA in UK and he built a lot of the GP's and he said the factory/race department for the GP's was very small (not a big factory production line) therefore no 2 bikes were ever truely identical as there was only 460 odd made.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 05:45:53 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 06:19:46 pm »
cool marc, house looks more wangavagas than Japan.
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:40:03 pm »
well Hawera so close

I have another motor for this bike but it was fun to give the old round head B44 a good Autosol and wire her up/
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:43:16 am »
why are you running a battery marc, or am l seeing things

Running electronic Pazon ignition which works better with battery, plus Cheney frame had neat set up to stow it.
formerly Marc.com

Offline ksiderek

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 06:20:29 pm »
The mixed bolt thing is easy to explain. His factory in Church Crookham was at a site called Red fields. It was a group of old wooden buildings and nissen huts built during WW2. One morning we found a couple of rogues breaking ino one of the old nissen huts. They legged it a bit quick and we went to see what they were so interested in. We went inside the hut and found an alladins cave of old aircraft parts. We believe it was stuff cleared out of Farnborough airfield nearby and just stored there after the war. There must have been a hundred 40 gallon drums all stuffed with boxes of nuts and bolts. Just about every size you can think of. Somehow, similar nuts and bolts started appearing on his bikes shortly after  ;D I'm surprised his bikes wern't fitted with ejection seats as well. There were a few spare ones around.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 09:40:13 pm »
Just about every size you can think of. Somehow, similar nuts and bolts started appearing on his bikes shortly after  ;D I'm surprised his bikes wern't fitted with ejection seats as well. There were a few spare ones around.

Keep the humorous Cheney anecdotes coming Derek .... just about to get my Cheney Honda happening, I believe the rear cantilever suspension was actually a part off a Meteor bomber, probably part of its ejection seat

Great story about the 40s full of metric bolts..... you have to hand it to the British Motorcycle industry, waste not want not  ;D
formerly Marc.com

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2010, 05:48:13 pm »
Mark, steve bought his Triumph Cheney out after 10yrs in the shed for the last auckland vmx
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2010, 07:04:30 pm »
I like it in fact I like it a lot, we are going to have that 4 stroke aftermarket frame ride someday soon. ;D
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2010, 11:05:53 pm »
I like it in fact I like it a lot, we are going to have that 4 stroke aftermarket frame ride someday soon. ;D

For sure, I can up with HL, Cheney BSA, Cheney XL. You have C&J covered, what else do we need. ?

How was Steves Cheney Triumph ????
formerly Marc.com