Author Topic: The demise of manufacturing in Australia  (Read 54644 times)

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: The demise of manufacturing in Australia
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2011, 08:55:03 pm »

Thinking simplisticly; won't we be screwed once we run out of raw materials to export as our rate of production has dropped alarmingly over the last 20 or so years. Our only choice will be to pay the price that is being asked for imports or go without as we no longer have the facilities to manufacture much at all locally as most of it has gone offshore. I also have to ask why the f*#k are we bringing in meat and produce from other Countries? Bum licking by our Politicians I'm guessing.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 02, 2011, 11:19:49 pm »

My question here is "how much influence America has in our and other countries (UK) politics?'
Every time we turn around we are getting a visit from some Yanky ex pres or other big mouth.

how long is a piece of string?Forget the stooges that they put up for voters to elect. They are controlled by their funders.Its no coincidence that we follow suit with almost everything a short while later.The visits are part of keeping everything going as planned.
The best one I heard recently was some yank banker saying how great it is that Aust. is going ahead with the CO2 tax and setting up a special bank just for the money will make it an easy job to transfer the money (to us) when the time comes.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 02, 2011, 11:21:01 pm »

Thinking simplisticly; won't we be screwed once we run out of raw materials to export as our rate of production has dropped alarmingly over the last 20 or so years. Our only choice will be to pay the price that is being asked for imports or go without as we no longer have the facilities to manufacture much at all locally as most of it has gone offshore. I also have to ask why the f*#k are we bringing in meat and produce from other Countries? Bum licking by our Politicians I'm guessing.

pretty simple but too difficult for some.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 03, 2011, 11:50:33 am »
I think everyone gets it. The problem is that (collectively), we're too hooked on cheap crap - its like the junkie who knows he's wasting away because he's not eating properly, but is too obsessed with the next fix to worry.

But the sun is still shining for now:
http://hdrstats.undp.org/en/countries/profiles/AUS.html

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 03, 2011, 01:10:52 pm »
Yeah I remember back in 72 when we were all told to stay away from the Jap Crap and keep buying the Pommy shite-just think how many B40s we could pick from if we had of done as we were told.
I reckon the world went to shit when England joined the EEC and stopped buying dads creamy milk high in butter-fat. We had to sell all the loverly pedigree Jerseys and milk Fresian x mongrels.
DONT GET ME STARTED!!! It's not that long ago. :D

mx250

« Reply #230 on: November 03, 2011, 04:15:07 pm »
The demise of manufacturing in Australia .........that's the bad news, now for the good news.......

"Despite the doom and gloom, there are reasons to be cheerful. As measured by median wealth levels, Australians are the wealthiest people in the world, says the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2011, which measured the wealth of the world's 4.5 billion adults................" ;D 8) ;D

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/australians-the-worlds-wealthiest-20111101-1mt2r.html

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #231 on: November 03, 2011, 04:38:09 pm »
except when the property boom collapses and then we are zillionth in the table.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 03, 2011, 07:38:49 pm »
I personally have no complaints as to my present situation BUT I do worry about the future of Australia and the caliber of our supposed leaders in all levels of government and business for that matter.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline IT490K1983

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 03, 2011, 08:07:49 pm »
The demise of manufacturing in Australia .........that's the bad news, now for the good news.......

"Despite the doom and gloom, there are reasons to be cheerful. As measured by median wealth levels, Australians are the wealthiest people in the world, says the Credit Suisse Global Wealth Report 2011, which measured the wealth of the world's 4.5 billion adults................" ;D 8) ;D

http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/luxury/australians-the-worlds-wealthiest-20111101-1mt2r.html

Give me stability, security and hope for the future (for our kids) anyday. Wealth can't fix your health, relationships, shyte job or lack of fulfillment. I realise we do need to have a certain amount of available funds just to take care of everyday committments, but I think we are paying the price in many societies for being hedonistic and materialistic. Our Grandparents would turn over in their graves at what we consider essential nowadays.

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 03, 2011, 08:39:07 pm »
except when the property boom collapses and then we are zillionth in the table.

Our record high Aus $ would also be bumping up the stats .

mx250

« Reply #235 on: November 03, 2011, 10:27:31 pm »
Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.............. :P

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 03, 2011, 10:36:40 pm »
what we consider essential nowadays.

yep - Its a big wakeup call living in a vmx/mx trailer for two weeks and then getting home to a big "HOUSE" (3x1) so much area  :o  :-\
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: November 03, 2011, 11:07:04 pm »

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: November 04, 2011, 07:46:14 am »
Give me stability, security and hope for the future (for our kids) anyday. Wealth can't fix your health, relationships, shyte job or lack of fulfillment. I realise we do need to have a certain amount of available funds just to take care of everyday committments, but I think we are paying the price in many societies for being hedonistic and materialistic. Our Grandparents would turn over in their graves at what we consider essential nowadays.

well said!!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: November 04, 2011, 11:29:28 am »
Because no matter how crap Gillard is, Abbott keeps beating her in the race to the bottom:

http://www.smh.com.au/national/coalition-vows-to-claw-back-super-rises-20111103-1my1s.html

Where's that "banging your f#$king head against the f#$king wall because they're both so f$%king stupid" emoticon?
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.