Author Topic: Dr 500  (Read 1451 times)

Offline southnztim

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Dr 500
« on: September 18, 2010, 08:51:40 am »
Just a couple of queries on the 500's piston. Does any one have a source for the standard and o/s pistons and rings
I've heard people talking about using XR 500 pistons. Would be a great option with all the range of sizes plus comp ratios.
I have just been comparing a standard dr & xr piston together. From what I can see, the gudgeon pin is 2mm higher on the xr which makes the xr crown 2mm lower than the dr. Also the dr con rod is wider at the small end bearing, so it won't quite fit in the xr piston.
Has anyone actually used the xr piston in the dr and what mods did they need to make. I think I have a couple of ideas to get around it, but would be interested in other peoples ideas.
Cheers, Tim

Offline mick25

• Legend
  • Hunter valley NSW
    • View Profile
Re: Dr 500
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 08:52:46 pm »
I have a couple of DR500s but run standard pistons,,I think stuart on here under (oldfart) may have used honda pistons
drop him a pm ;)

oldfart

Re: Dr 500
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:14 pm »
Pistons don't seem to wear a lot in these old girls so I would suggest you try re- ringing the old girl first with a  Serco kit ( wiseco part #  3504XC ) they are a file fit 89mm  and i'm sure you need to open up the ring groove which is no big deal  :)
Tim, PM sent