Author Topic: Hare and Hound RESULTS SHEET at Wonthaggi, 1979 ...  (Read 2319 times)

Doggy Digger

Hare and Hound RESULTS SHEET at Wonthaggi, 1979 ...
« on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:16 pm »
   Dandy Club started running H&H around 1977, after they realised a track could be run into the sandy hills, over the fences and beyond the MX track.   The Hare course used MX track, plus a loop of approx. 3 kilometres which was awesome fun.   Refueling cans were placed along the fenceline of main straight.

I think this result sheet is interesting, insofar as it shows how the event attracted motocrossers and enduro riders alike.   Pros and clubmen both got right into it.  They also ran a six-hour, and two riders could run one bike.

Dandy Club was top-heavy with enduro riders ... they had heaps of clubmen doing it.   I think it even became a known club to join, if you wanted to get to the core of enduro (?).

You may have realised this past few weeks, that I have been digging through my archives recently.   More stuff to come ...

PS:   Would those guys be related to Goof ..?
------------------

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 07:56:30 pm by Doggy Digger »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Hare and Hound RESULTS SHEET at Wonthaggi, 1979 ...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2010, 08:00:20 pm »
enjoying this stuff doggy, the DMCC is one of the best clubs in Oz i reckon.

keep posting it up.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:43:23 pm »
Yeah the Wonthaggi Six Hour was a big event that did attract the top Enduro and MXers alike.
I teamed up with Dave to ride it in 82 on my KX 420
Some guys warned me that it was tight and would be hard on the 420.
Nah, I like tight stuff I said.
We formed a plan, it was brilliant.
We would ride 2 laps at a time thus saving precious time by not having to change riders. A definite advantage that was sure to place us well.
I rode the first 2 laps. Every time I came out of a corner I thought right now to open it up, but there was another corner straight away.
I kept thinking that there would be a nice straight around the next corner. Finally there was, back on the MX track, but by that time I was knackered from not getting the 420 out of second gear and I was too buggered to open it up.
Finally after 2 grueling laps I handed it to Dave and he went out for his 2 laps.
My next 2 laps was nearly the end of me, it was a struggle to keep it flowing at the end of the second lap.
I handed it back to Dave and took off my helmet and shirt and collapsed on the ground.
I shut my eyes while I lay there catching my breath and the next thing I know I have a front wheel nudging me in the gut. It was Dave, he was back already. Bugger, I must have dozed off in the heat. I scrambled to get my gear back on and cursed not being ready for him, we were losing precious time.
I was still amazed at how quick Dave finished his 2 laps when I went out and by the time I came around after 1 lap I had to concede defeat, I couldn’t complete 2 laps at a time.
I felt a let down as I handed it to Dave and said sorry, I just can’t do 2 at a time mate.
He said that’s okay I only did one lap last time too.
Bloody Hammond.

A good plan foiled by being seriously unfit
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Doggy Digger

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 09:57:19 pm »
Yep, Geoff ... notice the small bikes in results sheet.
Wish I could have been there (Maybe I was? - f@©knose) to see the antics of you two!

And, of course, Graham Smith would have ridden his big-bore in that sand, like it was a 125.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 10:53:44 pm »
17 laps in 3 hrs in 79
They must have found some more room by 82 as the winners managed 14 laps in 6 hrs.

DR

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 06:38:04 am »
It appears I teamed up with Lucas Reynolds for the '82 Dandenong Pony Express 8) 1st in the 4 strokes..woo hoo! ;D

..but I don't remember any of it :-\ :P

Doggy Digger

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 09:07:11 am »
Wow!   What a field ... great stuff, Geoff.

(Look at the numbers - Must have been crowded out there on the track)

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 09:58:08 pm »
It appears I teamed up with Lucas Reynolds for the '82 Dandenong Pony Express 8) 1st in the 4 strokes..woo hoo! ;D

..but I don't remember any of it :-\ :P

Yes Doc, you were quite fast as I remember ;D

Wow!   What a field ... great stuff, Geoff.

(Look at the numbers - Must have been crowded out there on the track)

Yes it was a bit of a who’s who wasn’t it.
I always like going through old results or programs to check out names of people I had either forgotten about or now know.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 10:03:15 pm »
The 6 hour was a great event although it was restricted to those with a registered bike & licence.
So it would be 86 when we got around to making another assault. This time on my KDX 200

We formed a new plan, it was brilliant.
We would ride 1 lap at a time thus saving precious energy by not having to ride for an hour without a break. A definite advantage that was sure to place us well.

Dave gave the bike back to me after one of his laps and yelled go for it.
But I could only go for it for a few yards with the forks twisted the way they were.
I had to stop at a tree to straighten the front end with a nudge. Once going again at speed I was greeted with many different pieces of headlight flapping around in the breeze
Bloody Hammond
Seems he was trying to overtake someone in a whoop section when he cartwheeled it.
I actually went through a few headlights that year.

Got into a tank slapper myself on one lap and ran over my left foot as I fell in a heap.
I fell in such an awkward way that my leg was trapped inbetween the wheel and shock area and with the bike on top of me I couldn’t move. Had to wait for a spectator to come along and lift it off me.
Despite these mishaps we still managed to redeem ourselves from our dismal 82 effort with a top 20 finish.
Our peers would look upon us in a new light.
We would now be considered mediocre.