Author Topic: IT/DT250  (Read 967 times)

Cowboy Don

IT/DT250
« on: September 14, 2010, 06:39:23 pm »
Hey Everybody,

Been a while since I've contributed to the forum, been distracted with other bikes & things.
I just picked up a 77 IT250D off a mate and am getting it going for him.  I always confirm the id of an old bike with the engine and frame numbers before I dive into a project and I've found that what he's actually got is a 77 IT250 frame with a 79 DT250F engine.  Seeing as the w/shop manual my mate is bringing me is for the IT I was wondering if anyone knew of the major differences between the IT & DT engines.  If I run into issues I may have to get another manual.  Other than that the bike is a beauty and I'm looking forward to getting out on the trails with it.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Donald

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: IT/DT250
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:33:00 pm »
In terms of the workshop manual, there won't be anything that will upset you.
The two motors share the same basic structure, even though most bits are actually different.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Cowboy Don

Re: IT/DT250
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 07:27:40 am »
thanks Nathan,

I'm out of the woods anyway.  with the help of another forum member sending me the parts book for both models, I've discovered that somewhere along the line someone has fitted a r/h engine case from a DT but the rest is IT. Cases are the same for each model.  Time to get into it!