Author Topic: Is pre 90 class too close to moderns, too far from vintage?  (Read 10782 times)

TM BILL

Re: Is pre 90 class too close to moderns, too far from vintage?
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 11:29:08 AM »
Can some of you early-bike-hoarding legends please tell me how I could be riding at all without $3k+ to spend and six months to wait for a rideable bike to come onto the market ?  ;D

Until then pre-90 it is.  :-\ :)

T2X

Its called VMX not budget boy racing  ;D the reason this early bike hoarding legend hangs onto his bikes is because having invested more than a few quid buying and restoring them im not about to sell them to some tight arse Johnny come latley at a loss ;)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2010, 11:37:18 AM »
Anybody here who thinks pre 90 is too modern and will water down a temporarily flagging vmx scene is just kidding themselves........pre 90 is definitely coming,as will pre95 and probably pre 2000 etc (perish the thought).....its just a matter of TIMING and how its sensibly introduced..thats all..simple!!......people burying their heads in the sand and refusing to accept pre 90 will do this sport no good....the future of vmx is/will be in the hands of the younger guys who will more than likely want pre 90 .....we should all do ourselves a favour and start thinking for the future........personally I hate em, but there ya go.

I think you have to cater for the enthusiasts and the popularity of the times.  For guys like me (in their 30s), it's all about 250 2-strokes and guys like McGrath, Emig and Everts who rode them so well.  When I was really young, I grew up on a solid diet of 500 GP racing so I can relate back to that.  However, by the time I was old enough for a 'big' bike, the 500s were dead & buried.  

Sure, there wasn't much 'evolution' going on in the 90s (right up until the 4 bangers came along), but I know when I hit mid forties, brands like CZ, Montesa, Bultaco, etc. will be all but gone from any form of racing.  On the flipside, I'd bet the ranch a 1993 McGrath replica would be too cool for school....

Offline POM

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2010, 11:52:56 AM »
No doubt about it nr555.......we do have to mainly cater for whats here and now...this is what is supporting vmx as we know it......however we must not lose sight of the future....and allowing a little of it in now in a tightly controlled manner cant do any harm.....
You know what??? even if allowing pre 90 in across the board causes havoc (in whatever way i can't imagine) a reversal of the decision is not beyond us im sure......
just give it a go.......see how it goes......

firko

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:35 PM »
Can some of you early-bike-hoarding legends please tell me how I could be riding at all without $3k+ to spend and six months to wait for a rideable bike to come onto the market ?  Until then pre-90 it is.  
Jeez....Another 'no good bikes left' .
OK Two Time, are you seriously trying to tell us that in six months you haven't been able to find a bike to race for your precious 3k? You haven't indicated what division you prefer but I'd suggest that you haven't been looking very far past the end of your street. Seriously good bikes in all divisions come up all the time. Sure you're not going to get a primo machine for a paltry 3k but you can find decent usable bikes for that kind of money all the time. You either have high expectations as to what you can get for your 3k or as I believe, you're not really trying. Just this last week a fellow 'good 'ol boy bought a one owner, never raced or ridden hard Yamaha MX400b for $1000. The funny thing is that the bloke had the bike for sale for ages with no takers. Open your mind and you never know what you'll find. Have you checked out the classifieds on this forum or the related Ning site? Have you considered buying a $1000 dunger and actually building the bike of your dreams with your 2k change? Have you looked at eBay? Have you considered buying from the USA?....There's plenty of options.
Its called VMX not budget boy racing   the reason this early bike hoarding legend hangs onto his bikes is because having invested more than a few quid buying and restoring them im not about to sell them to some tight arse Johnny come latley at a loss
Hallelujah TM Bill. Two Time, your smarmy attitude ain't going to get a look in at this legends "hoarded early bikes" either. What this hoarder does with his bikes is none of your business and if it was your 3k isn't going to get close to any of them.

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2010, 12:14:58 PM »
Can some of you early-bike-hoarding legends please tell me how I could be riding at all without $3k+ to spend and six months to wait for a rideable bike to come onto the market ?  ;D

T2X

Its called VMX not budget boy racing  ;D the reason this early bike hoarding legend hangs onto his bikes is because having invested more than a few quid buying and restoring them im not about to sell them to some tight arse Johnny come latley at a loss ;)

No problem there Bill but the question stands. If you want keep this thing alive then you have to have a way for people to have a go without having to mortgage their lives and wait for someone to sell part of their collection to do it. Pre-90 is one way to do that. If that is not an option and a relatively small number of people collect and hold the older bikes how else do you expect to get any new blood ?

I'd really like someone to have a go at answering this ?  

T2X
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
... If you want keep this thing alive then you have to have a way for people to have a go without having to mortgage their lives and wait for someone to sell part of their collection to do it. Pre-90 is one way to do that. If that is not an option and a relatively small number of people collect and hold the older bikes how else do you expect to get any new blood ?

T2X

The answer is to get involved on a dunger - some sort of converted trail-bike, most likely.
Regardless, its another red herring that has little to do with why pre-90 would (supposedly) be bad for the sport.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

All Things 414

« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2010, 12:39:01 PM »
No problem there Bill but the question stands. If you want keep this thing alive then you have to have a way for people to have a go without having to mortgage their lives and wait for someone to sell part of their collection to do it. Pre-90 is one way to do that. If that is not an option and a relatively small number of people collect and hold the older bikes how else do you expect to get any new blood ?

T2X

You're right mate. They're just going to have to take the cheaper option and go racing moderns.
*Tell you what. Give us a call and I'll give you one of my bikes that I've probably sunk over ten G into.......

Offline Tony Two Times

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2010, 12:45:20 PM »
Can some of you early-bike-hoarding legends please tell me how I could be riding at all without $3k+ to spend and six months to wait for a rideable bike to come onto the market ?  Until then pre-90 it is.  
OK Two Time, are you seriously trying to tell us that in six months you haven't been able to find a bike to race for your precious 3k? You haven't indicated what division you prefer but I'd suggest that you haven't been looking very far past the end of your street. Seriously good bikes in all divisions come up all the time. Sure you're not going to get a primo machine for a paltry 3k but you can find decent usable bikes for that kind of money all the time. You either have high expectations as to what you can get for your 3k or as I believe, you're not really trying. Just this last week a fellow 'good 'ol boy bought a one owner, never raced or ridden hard Yamaha MX400b for $1000. The funny thing is that the bloke had the bike for sale for ages with no takers. Open your mind and you never know what you'll find. Have you checked out the classifieds on this forum or the related Ning site? Have you considered buying a $1000 dunger and actually building the bike of your dreams with your 2k change? Have you looked at eBay? Have you considered buying from the USA?....There's plenty of options.
Its called VMX not budget boy racing   the reason this early bike hoarding legend hangs onto his bikes is because having invested more than a few quid buying and restoring them im not about to sell them to some tight arse Johnny come latley at a loss
Hallelujah TM Bill. Two Time, your smarmy attitude ain't going to get a look in at this legends "hoarded early bikes" either. What this hoarder does with his bikes is none of your business and if it was your 3k isn't going to get close to any of them.

Firko. Maaaaaaate. Yes I am smarmy and a smartarse at times.....................

But took it a bit too far so my apologies to all.  :-X

But in all honesty, yes I have looked - here, ebay, gumnut, trading post, DDR, Shoreline. You name it. As for building, yes that works too but I firmly believe a bloke needs a rider first, then a project. No good having a bike in bits when your mates are all out there cutting laps.

So pre-90 it is. The question is do you guys want to let us in? If the answer is yes, thanks for letting me cut my VMX teeth without selling one of the kids. And while getting my mechanical and riding skills up to scratch on a pre-90 bike that should initially need less of both, I'll keep a tight-arse eye out for the older bike/project I really want.

If the answer is no, well, I guess I'll have to ride somewhere else and OzVMX will be -1.

T.
#66 - Fat Snail Racing.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2010, 12:47:55 PM »
Here is a bike all ready to go

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14803.0

I can see the difference in the 2 seats on the 2 RM's that Nathan pointed out earlier on. That was a good post as usual.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 12:49:41 PM by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2010, 12:49:15 PM »
Someone mentioned on the other thread ..all they want to do and what they do is RIDE .........and that is all they do ... :(
No volunteer/no track prep/no canteen/no officials.
How many are helping do the above jobs to keep the events running. ??

....personally I dislike em, but there ya go. 

Who is "they"? We've already established that most/all of the pre-90 enthusiasts are current VMXers. We've also established that the guys who are attracted to pre-90 are mid-30s at the youngest.

To dismiss us as young hooligans is unfair at best.
To dismiss the actual young hooligans as all being selfish wankers is probably also unfair - the culture of VMX racing is a lot less selfish than that of modern racing.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2010, 12:50:39 PM »

T2X

You should have been at CD7 when TMBill turned up with a Suzuki that he purchased for peanuts, spent an afternoon fettling and then the rest of the weekend riding and enjoying himself.

It can be done, it might not be pretty, but it can be done.

For heavens sake, Doc has achieved 'legend' status on this very web site for his ability to use rat cunning, ingenuity, spare time and enthusiasm instead of cold hard cash to bring to life a truly awesome collection of bikes. Brains instead of Bucks!!! It's up to you [and your wallet] which way you go.

And, Nathan I am with you. Bring on Pre90. I'm on the lookout for an 86/87 CR…
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 01:02:51 PM »
Someone mentioned on the other thread ..all they want to do and what they do is RIDE .........and that is all they do ... :(
No volunteer/no track prep/no canteen/no officials.
How many are helping do the above jobs to keep the events running. ??

....personally I dislike em, but there ya go. 

Who is "they"? they that like to ride"just ride"my quote as well as "they" quote which can be used in any form:We've already established that most/all of the pre-90 enthusiasts are current VMXers. We've also established that the guys who are attracted to pre-90 are mid-30s at the youngest.

To dismiss us as young hooligans is unfair at best.
To dismiss the actual young hooligans as all being selfish wankers is probably also unfair - the culture of VMX racing is a lot less selfish than that of modern racing.Sorry been hangin out at too many modern events  ::) different era different time .
Best is in the West !!

TM BILL

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 01:28:30 PM »

T2X

TTT there are plenty of earlier bikes out there for under 3k  but it seems from your postings that you expect a diamond for the price of a piece of coal  ::)

Enjoy your pre 90 bike good on you  :) but mate i drive a 1997 hiace van  :-[ I cant rock up at my local race track on V8 day and expect them to run a class for old Hiaces BECAUSE THEIR CHEAP  ::)

No i would have to start my own hiace racing club or buy a V8 that fits in with the current classes they run  ;)

T2X

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2010, 01:32:41 PM »
I cant rock up at my local race track on V8 day and expect them to run a class for old Hiaces BECAUSE THEIR CHEAP  ::)
[/quote]

Hey Bill,
No you can't. But I for one would pay to see you try…
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2010, 01:35:31 PM »

Firko. Maaaaaaate. Yes I am smarmy and a smartarse at times.....................

But took it a bit too far so my apologies to all.  :-X

But in all honesty, yes I have looked - here, ebay, gumnut, trading post, DDR, Shoreline. You name it. As for building, yes that works too but I firmly believe a bloke needs a rider first, then a project. No good having a bike in bits when your mates are all out there cutting laps.

So pre-90 it is. The question is do you guys want to let us in? If the answer is yes, thanks for letting me cut my VMX teeth without selling one of the kids. And while getting my mechanical and riding skills up to scratch on a pre-90 bike that should initially need less of both, I'll keep a tight-arse eye out for the older bike/project I really want.

If the answer is no, well, I guess I'll have to ride somewhere else and OzVMX will be -1.

T.