Author Topic: Vintage motocross started in Victoria here ...?  (Read 1733 times)

Doggy Digger

Vintage motocross started in Victoria here ...?
« on: September 13, 2010, 11:27:09 am »
I found this in a diary.   I may be wrong, but I believe it was the inaugural roll-out of cobwebbed bikes ... and the precursor to VMX movement in Vic, if not Australia.

Notes not too interesting.   But one significance is that, being now 22 years ago ... this historical get-together has now also become an event of a bygone era - over two decades ago.

I think that cutting is from AMCN, and that it's Boagy's farm ute and Zeds.   So there you go - he's being riding vintage for 22 years, and I reckon his back end must have more carbuncled blisters than the barnacled butt of an ol' bull whale.   (I asked him this year how he continues to hack it, and Boagy said simply that riding actually keeps him fit and well.)

« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 11:33:27 am by Doggy Digger »

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage motocross started in Victoria here ...?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:32 pm »
Alas there are no more meetings to be held at the Melton club's Rockbank track - Native flora issues have seen the reserve closed for good (or at least until it's developed for housing).
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 12:16:24 pm »
I liked the part, no enrty fee and no licence required.   All be it 20 years to late that got me loading the car right now.......  now where the flux capacitor... hell were'd i park that bloody deloren again...
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 12:41:31 pm »
That's a good bit of history Rog. A couple of month later, in Easter 1988 I ran the very first PROPER MA approved vintage motocross race meeting at Amaroo Park. The rest, as they say is history. ;). Besides Boagy there are still a handful of racers  that were there in the beginning still racing.

TooFastTim

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 12:57:23 pm »
Native flora issues have seen the reserve closed for good (or at least until it's developed for housing).

Hallaluyah brother. Many a true word etc.

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 01:19:15 pm »
Native flora issues have seen the reserve closed for good (or at least until it's developed for housing).

Hallaluyah brother. Many a true word etc.

Yep, thought that was a bit dubious as well.  They are going to develop the hell out of everything between Caroline Springs & Melton.  Why not let people ride while they can??

Offline Drakie

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 03:14:17 pm »
Yep, Firko and I will argue long on this one. I ran the first exclusive VMX meeting with the Warragul club at Neerim and Firko the first MA meeting. Strangely the club wasn't enamoured with MA then (re the 1988 ISDE fiasco) and held a lot of 'black' meetings.
The 'stars of the day' all came out for our event; those you mentioned Rog and 'Speedy' Burrows, Ray Fisher, Keith Stacker etc. I got passed by Karel Morlang when I thought he couldn't get through the tight section like I was standing still! Ronnie Dinsdale and Chris DelaRue (KX 450) tore up the track and each other; spectacular stuff. It's all in an early '88 Trail and Track. Mal Jones pics were good. I mentioned Rob Lonigro as the coordinator as he was a Husky dealer in Melton and was into old stuff then but he never followed up.