Author Topic: ossa engine and Maico  (Read 3731 times)

SAABCOMBI

ossa engine and Maico
« on: September 12, 2010, 09:26:46 am »
I noticed a good maico frame on ebay and a good Ossa phantom engine centre port motor on ebay thinking that it would be a good combination for a pre 75 race bike

mx250

Re: ossa engine and Maico
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:15:24 am »
 :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

You're kidding me.

If I was to put anything in there it would be one of the Jappers. The porting potential for even something as pedestrian as the MX250 would exceed the already over developed Ossa 175 commuter.

firko

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:09:51 am »
This is one of my pet subjects ;D. While I agree with Graeme that the Maico would probably benefit more from a Japanese engine, I must disagree that the Phantom engine is derived from an already over developed Ossa 175 commuter. The OSSA Phantom engine is the 1974 250 class equivalent to the 490 Maico engine. On paper it doesn't look as well designed as it's opposition but in reality....it just plain works! It's arguably one of the three best pre 75 250 engines, along with the Can-Am Rotax and the Mag Husky.
Having said that, over the last 20 years I've seen all sorts of engines thrown into Maico frames in a bid to build the 'perfect' pre 75 bike...the best engine in the best frame. Discounting the many Maico frames ruined by fitting Honda 4 strokes to them, two bikes stand out as actually improving the Maico by replacing the engine. The first was a very slick '74 LTR Maico fitted with a Can-Am Rotax 250 engine I saw at a meeting at Sandhill Ranch, California in the mid 90s. The builder had done a very good job of keeping the Can Am identity by using the Can-Am tank and plastic basically turning it into a Maico framed Can-Am rather than a Can-Am engined Maico. It was one very cool bike that was very quick, especially when ex Can-Am works rider Buck Murphy took it out in one race. I've looked everywhere this morning but can't find the photo I took of it. I'll post it if I find it.

The other great Maico swap bike I've seen is this forums Yamaico's namesake, the legendary "Yamaico". Pete built this bike in the early 90's out of left overs and it took vintage dirt track and motocross by storm. It's a seriously fast bike. The Yamaha MX250 engine is beautifully modded by it's owner, a bit of a closet genius (as those who followed his 465 Yamaha flat tracker build on the forum last year will have realised. The ports have been done, compression raised to around 15:1 to help burn off the methanol and a lot more detail tricks thrown into the mix. At the time this bike was as fast or faster than all of the then current model 250 MXers. Due to his work as an engineer taking him all over the world, Pete hasn't raced the old girl a while but once he has the time you can bet your goolies it'll be back. Check out the photos below of the Yamaico in DT trim.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:27:39 am »
Well that is a neat unit, l like it, on Americian ebay, their was a maico /cz 440 centre port up for sale and that also was a nice  machine sold for about 2500 usd.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2010, 11:44:35 am »
Thats not the same bike, just a tricked out 73 model CZ

This is the bike you're thinking of Paul
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=14777.0
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:49:15 am by tony27 »

firko

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:31 am »

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 12:07:10 pm »
sorry ive got the flu  ;D

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 02:03:32 pm by paul »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 01:05:00 pm »
Its giving some ideas for people, if the they cant find a maico engine,  some people  get tunnel vision on bikes  and frames and their can be other options.

firko

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 10:33:17 pm »
Of course if it's a bit more oomph out of corners that you want...there's always the tried and true H1750 Kawasaki swap.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 11:12:58 pm »
very scary mark

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 08:50:33 am »
I'd have tho't a Phantom engine in a Maico frame would be pretty good.

Phantom engine was considerably developed/improved over previous engines w bigger/stronger crank & improved g'box etc.

But then, is it much/any gain over Phantom engine in Phantom frame for the amount of work? (If one could find a Phantom frame)

While Yam engines are very robust & tune-able, they're also very heavy.

Phantom engine much lighter.

Offline yamaico

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 12:42:36 pm »
Build her up John, then bring it on.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 01:58:59 pm »
The Phantom frame would be very similar to a super pioneers frame. and as light too. This 350 is very light that l have.