Author Topic: Nicasil VS Iron bore  (Read 9110 times)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: Nicasil VS Iron bore
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 01:45:37 PM »
Ok so the facts are

1 - you can get iron bores coated but it has to be done in Nickel silicone carbide
2 - Nickel silicone carbide is the same as Nikasil

Has anyone here had a cast iron barrel done and was happy withe the results?

Is there a place in USA that does a good job?

Its no more of a hassle for me to send a barrel to US then is is to NZ

My main reason for looking into it is if it makes the bore last longer and you dont need to get re-bores so often
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 10:18:23 PM »
Thats the idea of plating you no longer need to rebore.....ever the piston wears NOT the bore. US companies have dropped the ball some what lately. You can try Millenium.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2010, 09:58:49 AM »
Aluminium cylinders are too soft as standard to cope as a cylinder which is why they need to be hardened.
I think a lot of cheap lawn mowers used to run non hardened alloy cylinders as they weren’t meant to last very long.

I don’t think chrome bores were very successful, Honda only tried them for one model I think, maybe Yamaha too??

Electrofusion is a Kawasaki thing, I read somewhere they explode carbon rods inside the cylinder with several thousand volts to harden the Aluminium
They’ve been using them since around mid seventies.

Nicasil is probably the most common as several makes use it these days.

Not sure about the worth of applying Nicasil to a cast iron sleeve,
You would get longer wear but all the other benefits of less weight and heat transfer would be lost with the cast iron sleeve.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2010, 01:43:26 PM »
No good coating work done here. End of. Any ring that is good for cast iron is good for Nikasil. Rings for 'chrome' bores (actualy same as  hard chrome on forks)  has a grey ring with no coating on the ring face.
Here is an example of good plating ie you can clearly see the bridge has been relieved BEFORE coating. The post plating honing has not touched the bridge(you can still see the machining marks) and the port windows have been correctly  chamfered again before plating.
Try NZ CYLINDERS(use the UK Langcourts process) Grant over there does very good work is a little on the expensive side. They have excellent customer service and will accomodate 'hot potato' jobs for customers here.

Hey Lozza, you've caught my interest with that photo, why do they have to releave the bridge? Its interesting because I had a KX500 cylinder plated by Mahle back in the late eighties and it seized within a few laps on the bridge :( it all measured fine prior to instillation and I could never get my head around why it had seized ???
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2010, 02:24:43 PM »
Aluminium cylinders are too soft as standard to cope as a cylinder which is why they need to be hardened.
I think a lot of cheap lawn mowers used to run non hardened alloy cylinders as they weren’t meant to last very long.

A bit of trivia on aluminium cylinders, A friend of mine worked on a project for Alcoa in victoria a while back on a new aluminium alloy casting material. It was to be used for casting  motorbike & car aluminium cylinders / blocks that could be direct bored without a sleeve or liner. It worked! they had engines running on dyno's for years on end and worked well. Like a lot of tech out there it worked well but obviously didn't work out on some bean counters calculator ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2010, 02:47:19 PM »
I remember a Motorcycle News project bike - 900cc Honda Fireblade from memory - and the story said that it's cylinders were not plated. Could have been a typo, but they made a bit of a fuss about it.

Seemed strange at the time.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2010, 04:55:09 PM »
The exhaust side of the motor is the hottest...That little bridge in the exhaust port heats up way quicker than the rest of the cylinder & expands faster, grabbing the piston...Commonly called a "cold seizure" because it happens soon after fired up.That is why the bridge port should be relieved when rebores are done.Pretty common on Kawasakis.You can also drill 3 small holes in the piston in line with the bridge to help too.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
So does a nikasil bore make it more likely to occur? or is it mainly a Kawasaki thing?

Offline whitey 43

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 05:44:53 PM »
Mainly kwaka thing (from my experience) but can happen to any 2 stroke with a bridge port exhaust...Using hi quality oil helps prevent these nasty problems too.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:17 PM »
So does a nikasil bore make it more likely to occur? or is it mainly a Kawasaki thing?

happens on all bikes with exhaust bridge
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
Geoff most cast in iron sleeves have quite good heat transfer, the sleeve is very rough and has ribs on the outside of the sleeve. Then the cylinder is cast around that, it gives superior heat transfer to a press in sleeve. Yamaha were the first to perfect the process.

Other Jeff yes I remember that project it had 'a coating' on the bore but was not Nikasil, the rings also had a special coating on them also.

Bridges that grab have not been relieved or they have been thinned to much.
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2010, 12:09:17 AM »
I just blew up my mculloch chain saw, i pullled it down ( probally only 10 hours since new and the piston is rooted on the ex side and has dragged the barrell with gouges.  What i cant see is any sleeve or lining in the barrell, it looks to be just stright alloy, not even a coating? im wondering if they just missed mine on the production line or what.  the mower man says it has one, but yet he cant show it too me so i think he fishing on what hes seen previously not what he can see, if it has any kind of coating its in the material as there is nothing on the top surface.   

The barrell looks like it was made out of ali cans, and the pistons not much better, havent got back to me with price of a barrell yet, but me tinks its all over red rover, and be cheaper to buy one of them china copies and save me dough...... :'(
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 12:23:18 AM »
Freaky - I'm sorry mate - your avatar is doing my head in - can you get rid of it  ;D
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica