Author Topic: Weighing In.  (Read 19649 times)

Offline vmxken

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Weighing In.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 11:49:46 am »
As it happens, I've been shuffling some stuff around in the garage and had to move my American Eagle (F21M) frame.  So, on the (new) bathroom scales and it came in at 12kg for the bare frame and about 2.5kg for the swingarm.  As the proper F21M frame was bare as well (awaiting some work) it went on the scales and it came in just under 10kg (without swingarm).  They're not super accurate but very close I'd reckon.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 01:31:46 pm »
Whats the baseline going to be ? bare frame or frame and its swing arM. ?

jUSt so they are all kept apples with apples referances it would be good to keep the same matrix.

IMHO.

after the nats i can play weigh in, be interested firko on the champs and tracky to see if they all are the same or if differant frame sizes/models and style change anything

74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

firko

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 04:01:04 pm »
Whats the baseline going to be ? bare frame or frame and its swing arM. ?
I said it in the first post Freaky. Bare frame and swingarm. Nothing else
As it happens, I've been shuffling some stuff around in the garage and had to move my American Eagle (F21M) frame.  So, on the (new) bathroom scales and it came in at 12kg for the bare frame and about 2.5kg for the swingarm
Now here's our first discrepancy. I had a doctors appointment yesterday evening so while I was there I had a weigh in on his supposedly accurate digital scales. When I got home I weighed myself and found my scales to be reading 1kg heavy at my weight. I adjusted them back to the same reading as the doctors scales and decided to weigh the frames again.
After reading Smithy's vastly different result from his American Eagle frame I figured the heavy 20kg I got yesterday must have been wrong......Here are my corrected results with the previous weight in brackets.
American Eagle....19kg  (20kg)
Rickman Micro Metisse.....13kg (14kg)
Hindall ...........8.5kg (10kg)   I removed the Kwasaki triple clamps that were fitted in the previous weigh in.
Trackmaster Yamaha........ 14kg (15kg)
Cotton Cobra.,.....13kg (13.5kg)
In addition I weighed the following this afternoon...
Maico 1971........14kg
Trackmaster replica .......12.5kg.....this is a very large frame, very similar to my Trackmaster Yamaha frame but made my some unknown craftsman in Texas. Everyone who lifts this frame remarks how much lighter it is to what it looks.

The 4.5kg difference between Ken and my American Eagle frames is odd. Both frames are early model twin top tube pre fastback models and one would assume they would be within half a kilo of each other. One could put it down to either his or my scales being out of whack but when I weigh in the dame on my digi scales and those of my doctor I think mine are pretty right, as Ken thinks his are. Alan Jones is going to let me weigh the frames on his calibrated scales at his work when I can get a chance to get over there. That'll be interesting as he's recently had them calibrated.
My 76 & 81 XT frames both weigh 14 Kg and the swing arm is 3.5 Kg.
will weigh TT tomorrow as it's else where.
Thanks Curly, much appreciated. I would have bet serious that the XT frame would be heavier than a Maico frame so this discrepancy in scales is going to make things a bit more complicated than I originally thought. I await Brent's results for his TT/XT frames and anyone else who has weighed any of the above bikes.

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 03:24:49 pm »
Mark checked frame on a commercial set today came in at 14.1kg .  Not much difference between my 2 home scales( 1 digital other old style) and supposed acurate commercial scales.
Curly

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 08:39:03 pm »
speaking of XT frames....did you see the two XT's racing around in the snow chasing James Bond last night in For Your Eyes Only I think :o :o.  One had front blinkers that rotated and turned into machine guns.  Now that would be a good feature to use to win specials test 8) 8) The stunt riders were very good to keep those beasts upright.  One picked the whole bike up in the air above his head and threw it at Bond.  That frame must have been super light!  ;D ;D Ah the classics
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Curly3

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 05:57:48 pm »
Suzuki DR500 - standard frame & swingarm = 18.5kg
For interest sake - standard engine = 42kg
Bonnie the Staffy = 21kg
I'd love to harness her power to weight.
I'm dragging out my award winning C15 soon to begin it's reincarnation and will weigh it as well.

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
I weighed my XT and TT frames and on my scales both came up 13.5 and 3 for the swingarms. I's say the difference between my weights and Curlys is just the scales. Both frames are much the same with different rear guard mounts, a few brackets and the steering lock on the XT.
I don't have a TT swingarm here so I'm not sure if they have pillion pegs brackets or not.

When I built my XT race bike I weighed the steel I removed from the frame and it totalled 2 kg.

Next time I have one apart I'll weigh the PE400 swingarm and I'm sure it's lighter than the XT/TT steel one.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline DR500

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2010, 08:09:44 pm »

Dr500 frame with triple clamps fitted & side stand =15.2 kg
Alloy swing arm 4.1 kg

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2010, 09:46:12 am »
The difference in Curly's and Brents frames may even be the years, as Yamaha may have altered them slightly with the different models.

I was assuming too that the XT frame would have been slightly heavier than the TT due to blinker brackets etc.
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »
Geoff I don't think year of manufacture is the reason for difference because my 1976 & 1981 frame are the same. I was under the impression the TT frame was lighter but going by Brents frames there not.

Slider I think Bonnie needs a bit more walking and a few less treats. If I could figure out a way to harness Molly the staffy's tail wagging energy I'd never have to pay an electric bill ever again.

Curly

Curly3

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2010, 03:25:53 pm »
You're probably right there Curly.
I've left the Curly name all to you mate and I still owe you a 6pack, I haven't forgotten.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2010, 03:26:04 pm »
speaking of XT frames....did you see the two XT's racing around in the snow chasing James Bond last night in For Your Eyes Only I think :o :o.  One had front blinkers that rotated and turned into machine guns.  Now that would be a good feature to use to win specials test 8) 8) The stunt riders were very good to keep those beasts upright.  One picked the whole bike up in the air above his head and threw it at Bond.  That frame must have been super light!  ;D ;D Ah the classics

yer but wherent they TT's ?  and going by the bloke who lifts it over his head to throw it at bond, id say Firko can pencil in about 10kg's for them frames based on that .......   :D :D
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2010, 07:16:27 pm »
I weighed my frames on the bathroom scales, I also weighed myself then jumped on our whiz bang scales at work. The difference in my weight was the same as the difference in Culry's and my listed frame weights so I'd go with his.

The TT frame weighed in the same each time but the XT sometimes showed 0.5kg heavier. I'd guess it's just on the limit of tipping the scales to the next 0.5kg. It's a bit heavier but not by much. I'd guess it's less than 500g difference.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2010, 07:18:08 pm »
I can weigh a PE250/400T frame but forgot to on the weekend.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline curly001

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2010, 09:29:06 pm »
Slider thanks for the name change ! It's okay we'll catch up one day & have a few together.