Author Topic: Cycle News Gone.  (Read 1049 times)

firko

Cycle News Gone.
« on: September 03, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »

The last issue of Cycle News

Americas foremost weekly bike magazine Cycle News has shut down. The magazine was the American equivalent to AMCN or REVS and even though it was never freely available in Australia it was one of the iconic mags of our sport. The long time editor has been Aussie born Paul Carruthers, son of GP legend Kel. Here is a bit more detail...

Cycle News Shuts Down – The Digital World Claims One More
by PAUL CROWE - "THE KNEESLIDER" on 9/2/2010
in MOTORCYCLE BUSINESS,MOTORCYCLE MAGAZINES,MOTORCYCLE ADVERTISING
The creative destruction continues among the print magazines as Cycle News, the long running California based print publication, best known for coverage of motorcycle racing, closed its doors on August 31st. This long running shakeout has been harsh and any printed magazine or newspaper slow to come to grips with the Internet is likely facing a similar fate. Paul Carruthers, Cycle News (recently laid off) Editor-in-Chief, confirmed rumors of the shutdown.

Cycle News is familiar to anyone who has been involved with motorcycles and motorcycle racing over the last four or five decades, but when the online world offers many of the same things your print publication does, only faster and often for free, your print model needs to change. News of all types is becoming a widely available commodity and motorcycle magazines are certainly not unique, even the largest circulation newspapers and magazines are trying to figure out how to adjust, and if the adjustment takes too long, the doors close.

Shutting down the presses could be an opportunity for the folks at Cycle News who have lost their jobs, although I'm sure they don't feel that way right now. If those same individuals decide to transfer their talents to the online world, without the overhead of the print publication, they might be able to make a go of it. Easy? No. Hard work? Absolutely, but definitely possible.

I wish all of those affected by this closure the very best going forward.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Cycle News Gone.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 05:14:58 pm »
This was on another forum, interesting assessment by cyclenews on their demise.
http://twostrokemotocross.com/forum/index.php?topic=1183.0

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2010, 05:16:14 pm »
I should have know better to give them a befitting thread of there own, ;)  ;D  after all the great news over the years..and days of Surf mag to match brings back memories of livin out of a Kingswood  :P  

http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=4089.msg148561#msg148561
Best is in the West !!

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 09:19:10 pm »
Sad day
I look at there website almost daily to get my moto fix
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle