Author Topic: rally cross  (Read 7656 times)

Offline rn400

• Novice
    • View Profile
rally cross
« on: August 22, 2010, 09:00:20 pm »
has anybody got photos of calder rally cross in the 1970s

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: rally cross
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 09:47:53 pm »

I have some cuttings but not great scans though.
Stan

« Last Edit: August 22, 2010, 10:23:40 pm by Stan S »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 11:13:45 pm »
And this meeting was the Bert Flood Motorcycles Rally Cross at Calder on June 9th 1974

Offline rn400

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 11:44:41 pm »
any more :)

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 04:36:37 am »

Stan

Hey "Stan"

I remember as a Kid my brother and I with the Old man going to the very first Rally Cross at Calder I think it was in about 1969 of 70 and it was if I remember correctly Held on a week day a public holiday the Old man was on a "Boat Tail" 250 Bultaco,and won the first race they held,used to love going to the Rally cross,with all the bikes and cars we used to Harass "Brocky" for stickers he was real cool and always found some,

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 08:14:09 am »

Stan

Hey "Stan"

I remember as a Kid my brother and I with the Old man going to the very first Rally Cross at Calder I think it was in about 1969 of 70 and it was if I remember correctly Held on a week day a public holiday the Old man was on a "Boat Tail" 250 Bultaco,and won the first race they held,used to love going to the Rally cross,with all the bikes and cars we used to Harass "Brocky" for stickers he was real cool and always found some,

Gday #8,
They would have been great meetings to hang around back then. I never raced there unfortunatley, but all the guys used to rave about it. I was at Bert's one Friday and Gary was preparing a CCM for himself to race at Calder. It was pretty cool seeing him test ride it up and down the medium strip in Whitehorse road, racing Bert on his 325 Bully.

Regards Stan.   
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 12:32:04 pm by Stan S »

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 08:56:04 pm »

Hey Gary
This would be the boat tail 250 you mentioned i'd rekon.
 Cheers KB

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 09:21:11 pm »
Anybody got anything on the international event at Calder with Robert and DeCoster?

Offline rn400

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 09:50:58 pm »
anybody know someone that works at channel 7 that could find some footage of calder rally cross

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 10:24:27 pm »
anybody know someone that works at channel 7 that could find some footage of calder rally cross

Damn. You're going to want me to log onto FaceBok and harrass people I haven't spoken to in years, aren't you?

No promises, but I'll try.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 05:05:50 am »

Hey Gary
This would be the boat tail 250 you mentioned i'd rekon.
 Cheers KB

KB,

Thats unreal,that would have to be the day because after that he was on Huskies thank's

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 04:15:05 pm »
Rode Calder Rallycross a few times. Learnt very quickly about the hydraulic effect of water. Got off the font staight and into the right hand first big sweeper that then turned slightly left, while the car track went straight on through a water dip, was third and thought I could pick up a couple of places by just skirting the edge of the water dip, while only being about 4-5 inches deep, it was like throwing an anchor out and went from 3rd to 30 in a hurry. Can also remember the day Clarry Jones raced his hagon there after the Saturday night dirt tack and Bendigo Showgounds. His yamaha 250 blew up so he used the hagon jap. Took about 6 jumps to break it in half. I thouh Channel 10 covered rallycross? Could be wrong as it was a litle while ago. They tried a few at Broadford but it didn't have the appeal of Calder.

Allbrit

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:49 pm »
The Rallycross at Calder was a lot of fun, particularly in the sidecar class.
We would race at Brooklyn Speedway Saturday night, go home unload the speedway outfit and load up the rallycross machine then out to Calder for the Sunday.
What a way to spend the weekend.

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 04:57:15 pm »
Rode Calder Rallycross a few times. Learnt very quickly about the hydraulic effect of water. Got off the font staight and into the right hand first big sweeper that then turned slightly left, while the car track went straight on through a water dip, was third and thought I could pick up a couple of places by just skirting the edge of the water dip, while only being about 4-5 inches deep, it was like throwing an anchor out and went from 3rd to 30 in a hurry. Can also remember the day Clarry Jones raced his hagon there after the Saturday night dirt tack and Bendigo Showgounds. His yamaha 250 blew up so he used the hagon jap. Took about 6 jumps to break it in half. I thouh Channel 10 covered rallycross? Could be wrong as it was a litle while ago. They tried a few at Broadford but it didn't have the appeal of Calder.

Yeah Rosco, I remember Clarrie telling me the story of the Stewards only agreeing to him using the slider if he didn't go over the big jump but the red mist took over when he found himself with the holeshot and consequently broke it in half.

Regards Stan.