Author Topic: Oils and Tyres - What's Best?  (Read 8398 times)

Offline Stewart Allen

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Oils and Tyres - What's Best?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 01:19:12 pm »
Has anyone tried the "Motoz" tyres ???
CHEERS STEWART

Doing it to old things is fun
# 74 Heaven
IT490 Will be going one day soon
CR125M
SL175 bitza
IT250D needs work
CR250RE Not going as yet
YZ125F

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 02:07:47 pm »
After being berated by Lozza for running 30:1, I've gone to 20:1, and am a convert.

Haven't had a blow-up since, and when you pull engines apart, everything is new and pretty (ignoring stuff that's sucked dirt, or whatever...).
Apparently they're supposed to make more power at the richer fuel:oil ratios, but I can't say that I've noticed.

Tyres. On a recomendation from this forum, I've fitted S12s to the front of a couple of my bikes and have been happy with them.
But more recently, I've ridden with other tyres that are in decent condition, and I'm not really sure I can feel the difference.

Interestingly, I replaced the almost-new S12 on the front of my (modern) Husky enduro bike with the newer Michelin hard-terrain tyre (AC10?), and even in the loose stuff, I feel more comfortable on the hard-terrain tyre.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 11:20:23 pm »
"Berated" ??? I thought I was being nice ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2008, 11:54:43 pm »
i run motul 800 at 40 to 1 in everything from my kx500 to the 74 husky 400 and my rm370
run and start great (except husky eh ribbo )  ::)never foul plugs ring life is good and when i pull them down for a look everything is good, working in a shop means i can try all the tyres  i have found the millville stickys excellent front and rear on all the tracks we ride on  8)

it ran last time i started it  ;D
follow me to first turn

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 09:02:56 am »
"Berated" ??? I thought I was being nice ;D

When I was a kid, and I did something wrong/stupid, and dad found out, I'd get one of three responses from him:
1. Anger. This wasn't fun, but wasn't too bad.
2. Disappointment. Much harder to live with.
3. Education. Argh, this was torture - he obviously wanted to scream at me, but knew that I was just a kid and didn't know better...

When we had the 20:1 talk, it was much like me dad's #3...  :D
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:34:39 pm »
Just think Nathan in a year or so you'll have perected that tone in your voice too ;D ;D ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2008, 11:02:58 am »
OK. After a bit of reading I've decided to indulge the risk taker in me and buy some Motoz tyres. Haven't been able to find out much about them, but on their website they make some big claims for their Tractionator X-Circuit tyre. So a set of those will be on the 05 YZ125. I have no idea if this will be a good move or not, but with any luck they'll be the difference that sees me winning the Over 45s at the first round of Amcross on March 2... or, at least maybe staying upright and not coming last. No, actually my main goal will be to give any of the ACT boys on their vintage bikes a floggin...

Anyone else tried the Motoz tyres?

Offline yzhilly

• Legend
  • Melbourne
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2008, 11:09:01 am »
I'm saving up for a set of moto z tyres for my IT465 so keep us posted graeme .Ron at pakenham wreckers sells them and they look good

yzhilly ,YZ400E,,YZ250J,YZ125K,YZ100K,IT465H ,IT400D,IT250K , IT200L,XR250,XL250R,XL200R,XL125
Viper #436

Offline DJRacing

• Legend
  • YZ125X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2008, 06:12:33 pm »
I have just pick the tyres for the YZ125B. The back is a Metzeler MC4 and the front is a Michelin M12. I havnt ridden with the M12 before so it will be interesting.
If at first you dont succeed, give up and drink beer

YSS

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2008, 12:04:26 am »
Well , like one Technician from Belray (over a beer) told me ones , the oil business is as slippery as the oil.I always remembered that and used numerous brands without any failures.
As far as tyres go when riding international , I used Michelins . I hade to pay for tyres anyway and they lasted the longest. If I did not have to pay for them and could have fitted a new one between each race probably the Metzelers would have been my choice. But when we hade to pay for them and it only made the difference of 1or 2 placings ( 20-50Dollars extra Pricemoney +the risk of puncturing a tube while fitting)we opted for the longer lasting Michelins to do whole day.I knew around 10th place was our spot with the material (KTM 540) we hade.So changing tyres with all the risks involved of gaining one or two placings was not worth it . (at least thats what we thought at the time ) I still use the the wet weather Michelins on dry days today and hade a good run so far.