Author Topic: How much for my Duke engine?  (Read 3186 times)

firko

How much for my Duke engine?
« on: August 10, 2010, 01:16:49 pm »
I'm considering replacing the Ducati narrow case 250 engine in my Hindall with a Triumph unit 500 engine. What do you guys reckon my Duke engine is worth in fully rebuilt condition. The engine has a ported head by Mike Green from West Coast British, Megacycle cam and kit and will soon have a modern spec race piston and a new big end. I just can't get enthusiastic about the little Duke as a motocross engine but it'd make a sweet road race or road engine for someone.

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: How much for my Duke engine?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 06:24:51 pm »
I dunno what the little duke motor would be worth Firko but I reckon it looks good where it is & just can't imagine a triumph twin engine keeping the same clean lines

Offline zorroz

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 09:59:26 pm »

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 11:19:20 am »
Nathan just got 8 grand for his 450 single RT which didn't surprise me but surprised him a little.

I would have said somewhere around 3-4 grand. But probably more judging by the ebay bidding.

I would find a frame and invest in some race glass, set of rough Cerianis and you will double its value.
formerly Marc.com

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »
the value is if it is a desmo
so mark is the 250 a desmo motor ????

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:40:34 pm »
Clean tidy and good runner I think it would get money even with springer heads. you couldn't rebuild one without throwing a few grand at the problem.

God knows what full rebuild on a bevel twin costs these days, it used to be 5 grand on a good day years ago.

But you are right desmo has a premium.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 01:37:50 pm »
so mark is the 250 a desmo motor ?
It actually started life as a Desmo Jim but the previous owner, a noted Ducati racer in the USA switched to a spring head when he took the engine out of his road racer and into the Hindall for motocross. Sure the Desmo is the collector item but there's not a great deal of performance difference under 8000 rpm, something you'll rarely see in MX.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 04:34:06 pm »
Ok how much for this one ??? ;D

formerly Marc.com

colmoody

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2010, 08:46:09 am »
Not quite in the same vein but I recently parted out an 81 Darmah that I bought off a mate of a mate and that had been sitting in his backyard pretty well uncover'd for about thirteen years. With the help of a mate we got the motor running and surprisingly it sounded pretty good. Anyway put the motor on ebay and within a couple of days it sold for $4000.00. About one week later the same motor was back on ebay minus the heads and sold for $3250. Needless to say everybody was happy.

Offline maicomc490t

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 09:22:46 am »
Clean tidy and good runner I think it would get money even with springer heads. you couldn't rebuild one without throwing a few grand at the problem.

God knows what full rebuild on a bevel twin costs these days, it used to be 5 grand on a good day years ago.

But you are right desmo has a premium.

I used to feel sorry for the guys when I would quote that figure but that is what it could easily cost. An 860 with rooted heads and other problems was closer to six grand. When you did the maths on the cost of the mandatory big end assembly and more often than not a gearbox you were well on your way.

Throw in bearings, pistons, valves, seats, guides etc etc the whole thing could get quite scary and given that I am about to start doing some old Duke rebuilds for a couple of guys I did engines for years ago the scary factor will re-emerge!

The big secret with the older roller bearing big end engines and all of the older bevels for that matter is use quality oil and change it often - oil is relatively cheap compared to rebuilds !!! If you buy oil for your old Ducati the smallest container should be 20L, lol. Then you have no excuse.

As far as the Desmo versus springer heads go many racers are of the belief that well sorted spring heads perform EXTREMELY well. The Desmo's advantage is high revs due to control of valve float but half the time the Duke will lose a big end or timing side main bearing before valve bounce becomes a problem.

Dave Mac  :)
VAPOUR (AKA HYDRA / HYDRO / AQUA / WET) BLASTING AND GENERAL ENGINEERING 0416074750 (or) [email protected]

DUCATI Parts wanted esp 450 R/T and other early models inc V-twins

BULTACO M49 parts wanted

firko

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 09:33:32 am »
Any sort of progress on my Ducati engine Dave? It's been a while. ;D

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:34 pm »
mark Rt450 go for a slab of beer
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

firko

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 05:03:12 pm »
You've got a couple of cases of Tui coming your way Bazza if you can get me a 450 shaker for the price of a slab.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 05:34:16 pm »
little more ducati progress

formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 08:23:58 am »

[/quote]

I used to feel sorry for the guys when I would quote that figure but that is what it could easily cost. An 860 with rooted heads and other problems was closer to six grand. When you did the maths on the cost of the mandatory big end assembly and more often than not a gearbox you were well on your way.
Dave Mac  :)
[/quote]d

Yeah I would imagine you could drop 10-12K into bevel engine these days without coughing. My own experience is the bevel engines that hold together best are the ones that have been used on the track. They don't take kindly to city riding, best of them is 1000 Mille with plain bottom end.
formerly Marc.com