Author Topic: Not a pretty sight !!!!  (Read 3300 times)

dirtrumpy

Not a pretty sight !!!!
« on: August 09, 2010, 03:31:01 pm »
Well I've just discovered how to post pictures on here, So here are a few showing the aftermath of last years Heaven Conowindra meeting!

There is a lesson to be learned here, always replace alloy conrods when doing a rebuild!!!

Mike #278

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
Re: Not a pretty sight !!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 03:49:00 pm »
I,ve seen something like that before.
Was caused by the owner putting methanol in the tank and giving her a try.
I had helped make the sidecar and was supposed to be the passenger.
Ha. :'(
Looked just like that. :o
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

firko

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »
Jeez Mike it looks even worse than when I saw it in your shop :o. I may just throw a set of Carillos in mine when I build it, just to be sure.

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:57:29 pm »
OMG, I have my pre unit in bits and it may also stay that way until I find a new set of rods.  ::)
formerly Marc.com

Offline flower pot racing

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 05:57:32 am »
definately going to need a rebore! ;)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:13 am »
Theres a bloke on this forum (he's a lurker now I think), he'll be able to weld that all up for you......I think his name is Ji?
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 08:14:44 am »
   Now THAT'S what you call throwin' a leg outta bed,commiseration's trumpy  :P

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 09:35:34 am »
Yep if you're going to do it, do it right.  Would have been terrifying to be sat on that with metal flying around, I would have beencrawling into the bush csreaming "contact front" expecting more mortars. 
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline FourstrokeForever

• Legend
  • AKA Mark H #35 VCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 07:35:25 pm »
There's a joke here about running into buildings with this mess strapped to your chest but I choose not to mention it......
Arrogance.....A way of life for the those that having nothing further to learn.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:21 pm »
So what actually happened, what broke first?, looks like the rod just let go. Its always a bit of myth and in theory this stuff can happen but ive never actually seen it. Ive worked on/rebuilt probably over 100 of these motors so i know what to look out for regarding imperfections in the rods. Was the sludge trap cleaned? what was condition of the main bearings? its gone bang thats for sure. :o

One time when i had to just do a top end build on one of these, new pistons, valve grind etc, when i was getting ready to put the
cylinder back on i noticed the inlet cam was worn, pretty badly. Phoned the owner told him now the whole motor has to come out for a tear down to fit a new camshaft (and we would check over the big ends etc). After i split the cases I found as broken RH main bearing. The bearing fell apart when I removed it. The cage that holds the balls had broken and the balls were about at the point of rolling to one spot which would have locked up the motor and done some damage like above. When i removed the bearing it just fell apart and all the balls were loose. Pretty lucky really considering this bike had been ridden a few weeks before hand and was only in to stop the smoking and top end rattle and the owner was happy we found that before it was too late and got to it just in time! So yeah bearings can wear out and fail.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 08:38:13 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022