Author Topic: Fromelles (nothing to do with VMX but I thought you may be interested)  (Read 930 times)

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
Got back from Europe this week. Saved for quite a while and this has been the cook and myselfs first O/S trip. Many highlights but for me it was our visit to Fromelles up on the French / Belgium border probably best known as The Western Front in WW1. Fromelles has had some publicity in the media in the last few years thanks to the work of a Melbourne high school teacher who through his own investigation and lobying convinced the Feds in Canberra to cough up and finace an archeological dig to recover the remains of a number of Australian and British soldiers who been buried by the Germans in unmarked graves. Plenty of info out there if you want to learn more but what I wanted to emphasise is the beauty of the cemetries in the area and the care that is given to them by The Commonwealth Graves Commission. Also the respect and reverance accorded the departed soldiers by the French people in the area. Even though to my knowledge no one from my family fell in either of the wars I just had to sit there for a while and think about stuff. Pride, sadness, respect and gratitude for those that have served this country. Ultimately I found it very uplifting and would encourage everybody if you have the opportunity to find your way to Fromelles.I know it's not VMX and not even Anzac Day but I just had to get it out there. Hope you don't mind. Jerry

mx250

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 06:24:08 pm by mx250 »

Allbrit

Re: Fromelles (nothing to do with VMX but I thought you may be interested)
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 07:44:16 am »
My Great Uncle (C J Wyatt 60th Battalion) was killed at Fromelles on 19 July 1916, and his body was never identified.
He is not one of the recently discovered men.
Last year I visited Fromelles and walked the ground that he would of attacked across.
The memorial at VC Corner has his name inscribed on it, along with the other men not found.
It is good to see that Australians now know about this ill conceived and badly run battle.

firko

Re: Fromelles (nothing to do with VMX but I thought you may be interested)
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 10:30:46 am »
I found out on the weekend that the Wilson brothers who died at Fromelles were distant relatives by marriage. Like most, I was deeply touched by the effort of recovering, identifying and burying the soldiers with the respect they so fully deserved. This will quickly become another Aussie backpacker pilgrimage as Gallipoli, Villiers-Bretenneux and Long Tan have become.