Author Topic: A handy little tool.  (Read 8345 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: A handy little tool.
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:50:19 pm »
Can i become the "Mick Kit" ( pat pend) Melbourne distributor  ;)

No worries Hoony, your it Mate. I have more ideas to contribute than a Chinese factory owner that has hacked in to the US patents office ;D
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:14:09 am by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

firko

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2010, 10:53:46 pm »
have some of the things you sold on ebay(and probably only to appese a therapist). I am willing to preserve them, or you could offer me a ransom
If I knew what I'd sold you I'd be in a better bargaining position ??? but if I sold it I probably don't want it back.
 I really don't collect anything besides old bikes that nobody else is interested in Mick, and I haven't really got that many compared to many on this forum probably including you.
 Isn't everyone a tool junkie in some form or another? I just like having nice tools, I guess it's the old boilermaker in me coming out.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2010, 11:07:06 pm »
have some of the things you sold on ebay(and probably only to appese a therapist). I am willing to preserve them, or you could offer me a ransom
If I knew what I'd sold you I'd be in a better bargaining position ??? but if I sold it I probably don't want it back.
 I really don't collect anything besides old bikes that nobody else is interested in Mick, and I haven't really got that many compared to many on this forum probably including you.
 Isn't everyone a tool junkie in some form or another? I just like having nice tools, I guess it's the old boilermaker in me coming out.

Yeah Mark, read between the lines, that was a compliment. Chill out with abeer maybe. I can't give you one I am nearly out. Its like parking spaces, I think they are making cartons smaller these days too ::)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 11:15:35 pm by MICK-DE »

lucien

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2010, 09:26:17 am »
I like a little tool like that very handy,do yuo have any power bands to sell i have seen them for sale at old shops, my honda cr125 has one but is to small i was told i should  have a bigger one

firko

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 09:39:21 am »
Yeah Mark, read between the lines, that was a compliment Chill out with abeer maybe
I didn't know where you were headed Mick. I fully understand you were going through a tough week mate but sometimes it's not a real good idea to get on a forum when you're on the piss. It rarely comes out the way you intended. ;D 

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2010, 10:08:51 am »
Well, being an ex bricklayer I just sight along the chain by eye.  Almost as acurate as a laser levell.  But I do like that gizmo, being a tool junkie and all.

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2010, 05:04:07 pm »
If the wheel is not spaced correctly when you use eye-sight it would be likely that wheel alignment would be out even though the chain alignment might appear perfect. To my mind the two factors must be checked and corrected where necessary. cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
My wife presented me with a sign for my workshop, HE WHO DIES WITH THE MOST TOOLS WINS.

Zane
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 09:11:12 am »
If the wheel is not spaced correctly when you use eye-sight it would be likely that wheel alignment would be out even though the chain alignment might appear perfect. To my mind the two factors must be checked and corrected where necessary. cheers pancho.

The way I see it is if the wheel is not spaced correctly. You will notice the chain riding up on one side of the rear sprocket.

My father, a third generation German bricklayer taught me, "Don't use the levell,  use use your eye, the levell is just for double checking at the end."  Took years for it to sink in.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2010, 12:17:46 pm »

My father, a third generation German bricklayer taught me, "Don't use the levell,  use use your eye, the levell is just for double checking at the end."  Took years for it to sink in.

What if your out of plumb or level when your finished ?

Check as you go, I reckon !

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2010, 03:59:04 pm »

What if your out of plumb or level when your finished ?

Check as you go, I reckon !

Yeah, sorry that's what I meant.  I was trying to type with a 7 month old bouncing on my lap.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2010, 05:16:13 pm »
What sort of welding rod do u use Mick?
Do u rekon a 16 TC would work seeing as how I,ve got a packet of them here that I can,t use.
The little red bit on the end isn,t long enough on these. :)

Fitter and Turner joke for those who don,t follow. :o
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2010, 09:13:29 pm »
What sort of welding rod do u use Mick?
Do u rekon a 16 TC would work seeing as how I,ve got a packet of them here that I can,t use.
The little red bit on the end isn,t long enough on these. :)

Fitter and Turner joke for those who don,t follow. :o

Hi Mike, yeah mate, your right, it won’t work unless it is a low hydrogen rod ::) ::) ;D ;D :D :D ;D ;D.

Yeas Mike, I am a boilerys nemesis as well ;D ;D ;D.

But seriously hey. I am talking about regular chain adjustment on any bike. Doesn’t matter if it is pumped out of a factory or a correctly constructed Hybrid. Lets face it if you sighting it(while a cahin is clouding judgment) by eye while adjusting the chain it is really difficult, particularly as get up and down, to sight it like a “dead eye dick” would. The older you get, the harder it is to see and the harder it is to get up and down to look along the chain, yadda yadda etc.

This makes it so easy, just watch the indicator (welding rod) go from side to side as you approach the required adjustment for correct “chain free play”.

I have kept it as quite as I can for 40years. My friends and others will tell all that I am way worse than “Tim the tool man”(or Ji for that matter)(although I miss ogling Ji’s  shinny new latest tool offerings). Shit I should have kept my mouth shut. No, no, come on down Ji, the waters fine mate(no one owns this forum except all of US, oh and Graeme of course).

How do you patent a rubber band(or expansion spring) and straight bar?

Anyhow, tight lines. woops sorry, wrong forum ::) ::) easy peasy straight chains :o :o whatever :) :)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 11:25:15 am by MICK-DE »