Author Topic: A handy little tool.  (Read 8354 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile

Offline AdamN

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: A handy little tool.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:09:19 am »
That's one of those "why didn't I think of that" one's ??? :D :D

Adam
'82 PE175Z, '92 YZ125D1, '93 WR500ZE, '13 KTM350EXC-F, '16 Husky TE300

mx250

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 11:35:04 am »

Adam
I agree.

Too easy  ;D.

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 11:45:20 am »

Adam

Magnet + laser pointer for me  ;)
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:11:44 pm »
geez there is some gear on the market now days.
Don't know how bikes survived the last 40 odd years.  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:15:50 pm »
I bought a cheap laser level used by builders at Aldi and it works a treat. http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_11643.htm
It's especially good for making sure the engine's in straight and lined up correctly with the back wheel when building bikes with engines that didn't originate in the chassis. It's a bit cumbersome to take to the races so Cyclegods method would work well but can you still buy laser pointers?

The Sidewinder tool seems dickhead proof and would fit nicely into the gizmo section of anyones toolbox though.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:39:36 pm »
Funny you say that i have a laser pointer  pen that i got from work for presentations, given i dont do slide shows, i have used it for all sort of interesting things, chains, straight edges, levels onto other walls.  Last week i used it to find a high spot in somthing it was sanding back.  its gone for a totally useless thing that was rooling around in my car, to my best freind, im allway looking for things to use it with now.   They still sell the red ones as presentaion pointers at the cheap shops for $5.  get onto them
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 07:39:32 pm »
WOW, UNBELEIVABLE ???

Am I to believe that people actually use the marks on their swinging arm “for correct chain alignment”  ???

I AM CONTINUALLY GOB SMACKED THAT THERE ARE MARKETS THAT ARE BUILT AND THRIVE ON IGNORANCE ???

This is what I have been doing since the age of twelve(patent pending) ;D

My kit, for chain alignment (patent pending) ;D

Take part one of the kit, rubber band. over the years I have added a hook(patent pending) ;D
Pass loop of rubber band through sprocket hole.

Insert 4mm welding rod through loop.

Pull rubber band tight and attach hook(patent pending) onto the nearest suitable piont.

Obviously we then have this :o

Then look straight down of course, to observse optimun chain alignment.

Obviously the above RUSTY beast was spot on, when it was set two and a half years ago at Crawford River :D

PLEASE, BEFORE ANYONE SENDS ANMORE MONEY OVERSEAS!!

I HAVE A FULL BOX OF 4mm WELDING RODS(all rolled on a surface plate to proove straightness), I CAN SELL YOU ONE, I WILL ALSO INCLUDE A RUBBER BAND(patent pending). I CAN GET MORE ON MONDAY ::)

DON’T GET SUCKERED FOR A FANCY GAGGET FOR US$25 PLUS POST. I CAN SELL YOU THE WHOLE “MICK KIT” FOR A MERE AU$10.

COME ON DOWN THE WATERS FINE. 

STAY TUNED FOR MY NEW TOPIC “DUMMER THAN DOGSHIT, DRESSED IN A BLUE AND WHITE APRON”. WITH TWO HUNDRED PICTURES(a picture tells a thousand words).

AFTER ONE OF MY FRIENDS BOUGHT ONE OF THOSE SO CALLED DECENT BIKES OF EBAY.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:46:02 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Curly3

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 08:03:28 pm »
Like any tool, they're only as good as the, nut on the end.
What happens if, for example, the rod is bent or, there is bit of shite under one corner of the mounting block.
Attention to detail is the secret, measure twice, cut once.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 09:55:37 pm by Curly3 »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 08:36:21 pm »
Like any tool, they're only as good as the, nut on the end.
What happens if, for example, the rod is bent or, there is bit of shote under one corner of the mounting block.
Attention to detail is the secret, measure twice, cut once.

Thats why in the "MICK KIT" (patent pending) the indicator(4mm welding rod,patent pending) is attached directly to the SPPRRROOOCCCCCKKKKKEEEEEETTT  (patent pending). This is some times been referred to throughout the ages as "IDIOT PROOFING" ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 08:38:40 pm by MICK-DE »

Curly3

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 10:05:02 pm »
In all honesty Mick I didn't read your post thoroughly and you definitely have kept to the KISS principle.
I pretty much sped through to my own reply.
Having an engineering background I should realize that there are a lot of people out there with an office background who aren't savvy with basic engineering principles and tools like these are a great help.
I hope I don't get bombarded by stroppy shiny bums. :P :P :P :P :P :P :P

firko

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 10:14:14 pm »
But Mick......Yours isn't anodized and pretty ;D. You know that gadgets are needed by some people. I've gotta admit that now I'm older and can afford stuff more than I could back in my poor old working days, I like collecting gizmos and gadgets although I doubt I'll be spending 25 bucks on one of these things in the near future. The laser level I bought for other purposes and it coincidentally just happened to have good bike side benefits.
Funnily enough, in 40 years of Maico ownership I've never needed anything to make sure my chain is on straight except my eyes.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 10:31:57 pm »
But Mick......Yours isn't anodized and pretty ;D. You know that gadgets are needed by some people. I've gotta admit that now I'm older and can afford stuff more than I could back in my poor old working days, I like collecting gizmos and gadgets although I doubt I'll be spending 25 bucks on one of these things in the near future. The laser level I bought for other purposes and it coincidentally just happened to have good bike side benefits.
Funnily enough, in 40 years of Maico ownership I've never needed anything to make sure my chain is on straight except my eyes.

Yes Firko, I agree. Thing is, my eyes aren't what they used to be. Also the rubberband and welding rod is just so easy peasy, a perfect result every time. and they are the only tools that I have ever been able to afford loosing.

What do you mean you like collectting Gizzmos? from where I am looking :) I think there is nothing you don't like collecting. I have some of the things you sold on ebay(and probably only to appese a therapist). I am willing to preserve them, or you could offer me a ransom ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 10:34:23 pm by MICK-DE »

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:45 pm »
Can i become the "Mick Kit" ( pat pend) Melbourne distributor  ;)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)