Author Topic: Bell Helmets in Australia  (Read 10274 times)

TT

Bell Helmets in Australia
« on: August 06, 2010, 08:53:24 am »
Would anyone know where I could find a place to buy one of these in Australia?

With a different peak, I reckon it would make a cool helmet for VMX.

Alternatively, I can buy from the U.S. for under $200.00, but what does MA have to say about helmets without Aussie standards these days?

Or............ does anyone know of another brand that does something with similar styling that's available here?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Bell Helmets in Australia
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:06:04 am »
tony
the bell helments have the stickers in them for ma aproval a mate who races dirttrack has 1 and its ok
jim

Offline Bamford#69

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:15:42 am »
Hi,
Have a read of the latest GCR's , they have a listing of approvals that are recognised as suitable to be used in competition here in Aus, buying overseas, online  is OK if the right approval sticker is there ,
I bought an Arai "Classic/M" open face, the right shape,ie"old school" and very comfortable.
cheers

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 10:38:47 am »
Tony, if you have no luck finding a Bell through a bike shop, try a motor racing store like 'Revolution Racegear' there's one in most states.
You would still have to check what certification they came with though. :)

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 12:40:48 pm »
Last year when i tried to get a Bell open face, i could not find an australian importer/wholesaler and they were only available in USA but with no ADR sticker (which you require for road use). I may of found an australian dealer with them, im not sure but i do know they didnt have ADR sticker if i did find them here. So then i decided to go with a Shoei which was just as good, but still a bit hard to get but it at least had the ADR sticker. I had to ring up a lot of shops around the country because the importer had discontinued them and then found Peter Stevens south of Adelaide had one. I think it was them who i got it off anyway.

Not sure how old this website is and McLeods didnt have any last year when i rang them and they said they were discontinued. http://www.scootersales.com.au/News-1334-shoei-s3b-jet.aspx

« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:50:18 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:54:04 pm »
I import my Arai helmets from Japan.  They are all 100% fine for competition use.  As long as they have one of the FIM acceptable standards, such as Snell, DOT, BSI etc. then you'll be ok.  I've come across some overzealous scrutineers who think the AS1698 sticker is the be all and end all, however a quick read of the MA rulebook sets them straight.

Just don't use them on the roads  ;D

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 04:07:22 pm »
I import my Arai helmets from Japan.  They are all 100% fine for competition use. 

Just don't use them on the roads  ;D

On the subject of the road helmets the Japanese doemstic ones are a different shape so don't rush to buy your Japanese Valentino Stoner replica unless you have had it on your head./
formerly Marc.com

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 04:15:38 pm »
On this topic what about those of us that want to wear a period helmet without the ASS1689 sticker ..... does this mean my Moto4 doesn't cut it.
formerly Marc.com

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 05:27:37 pm »
No, for most/All MA competions unless it otherwise mentioned in the specific supp regs for that event, it is ok to use a helmet without the AS sticker but it has to have a DOT or Snell etc sticker and be in good condition. Machine examiners can/should knock back old ancient helmets whos condition is a little suspect. Im not sure about modern Enduros but i reckon if they are using transport sections on public roads then they probably need an AS standards helmet too.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 05:29:41 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 09:35:26 am »
Would anyone know where I could find a place to buy one of these in Australia?

With a different peak, I reckon it would make a cool helmet for VMX.

Alternatively, I can buy from the U.S. for under $200.00, but what does MA have to say about helmets without Aussie standards these days?

Or............ does anyone know of another brand that does something with similar styling that's available here?

Thanks in advance.  :)

Try Partsmonster in Inverell. They were doing some 1800730201. Talk with Brad.

TT

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 07:45:34 pm »
Thanks fellas, I've got one on the way and I'll report my findings once I've given it a try.

TT

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 08:11:44 am »
FWIW I've had this helmet for a few days now and I've found it to be light and comfortable.
It's polycarbonate, but has DOT approval so it should be ok.

But most importantly, it looks the part with the Viking duckbill peak and Jofa mouthguard.  :D

Something I didn't pick up from the photo is that one half is white and the other is black. Not a problem, just didn't see it initially.

All in all, I'm pretty happy.

ted

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 06:08:16 pm »
Post up a pic Tony

TT

« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 06:30:52 pm »
Here's a couple I prepared earlier.  ;D

Keep in mind though, that it's an open face helmet, so you've got to be pretty good looking like me to get away with wearing one..........  :D :D

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 07:20:20 pm »
On this topic what about those of us that want to wear a period helmet without the ASS1689 sticker ..... does this mean my Moto4 doesn't cut it.

US helmets need to be DOT Federal Standard 218, Snell M95, M2000 or M2005...label affixed inside the helmet. Your Bell Moto 4 probably has one of these Marc, but if it's getting on and the inside is knackered, why bother ?
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....