Author Topic: Mag 250 for Vinduro Use  (Read 5507 times)

TT

Mag 250 for Vinduro Use
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:08:58 am »
I'd like to use a '74 Mag 250 for the occassional Vinduro as well as VMX, so does anyone have any advice or changes to add low end power without getting into porting changes etc
Has anyone gone down this path?
I believe a WR pipe may fit? So maybe that and a smaller carb?
I'd like to be able to change it back relatively quickly as well.
Any and all suggestions welcome.  ;D

mx250

Re: Mag 250 for Vinduro Use
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 10:14:14 am »
The best alternative, if its available, is flywheel weight.

I don't know the Husky but if it has a lightweight, quick reving, internal rotor look for a heavy external rotor ignition - maybe from a Husky WR model - as I said, I don't know Huskys - its easy with Yammy DT's to MX and YZ's. Often this was the most important change between MX models and Enduro models.

With heavy flywheel even a peaky MX'er will pull like a 4T  ;) ;D.

shoey

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 10:17:11 am »
The MAG (CR) has close ratio gear box.

You could use it as is , but it would be a hand full.

You could

Buy a WR 250 and have a pair.

Buy a WR engine and change out as required.

It takes about 45 min. to swap out the engines.(not a bad option)

Shoey
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 10:24:07 am by shoey »

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 11:56:19 am »
The mag has a reasonably heavy external rotor as it is, so flywheel weight is not an option. You'll be right if you put some velcro on your gloves, grips, seat cover, seat of your pants and hang on! Seriously though I found mine to "fall off the pipe" if I wasn't in the groove with gear changes, a little (a lot really) of clutch fixed it though. Hell fun & fast on a motocross track, never rode it in the bush though, so it may surprise you and be a half decent vinduro bike. If it's a pain in the tighter technical stuff, just rip it up in the open sections. I reckon the '73 CR250 Husky has a wider spread of power than the mag's. I could and would be more than happy to test it for you when it gets here.....
Cheers,
K

TT

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:21:05 pm »
Thanks K......... your generousity is surpassed only by my good looks...............  :D

And thanks for all the inut fellas. I think it might be best to ride it first and see what I think it needs. I used to ride enduros on a KX500, so it may not be as bad as we think............ maybe...........  :-\
Regardless, it is to be a VMX bike first and foremost and Vinduro and/or desert once in a while.
An engine change wouldn't be hard, but I'm not sure I want to get into that.
Does anyone know if a WR pipe does indeed fit and would it make a measurable difference?

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 12:43:34 pm »
'75 WR pipe will fit.
Cheers,
K

TT

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 03:39:37 pm »
'75 WR pipe will fit.
Cheers,
K

1. Do you reckon it will make any difference?
And 2. Have you got one?  ;D

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:01:55 pm »
Hey Tony,
You are all over the shop lately…

First the caravan, then the SP trials bike and now a Mag Husky for the trails. Is there something wrong with the water down Tanunda way?

'Suppose it is good that 'Benz don't make bikes though  ;D

I can't wait to see what comes next?  ;)
VMX42

P.S. how's the fitness campaign coming?
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:09:29 pm »
1. I don't think it will make enough difference to the power but will be quieter. 2. No I don't have one.
K
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:15:22 pm by bigk »

TT

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:11 pm »
I can't wait to see what comes next?  ;)

Well................. it's like this you see...................... I want to do more serious riding/racing, so I bought the Husky Mag for VMX, a PE for Vinduros (although the Husky might be fun too) and a DR750 for no reason at all, really. That was a spur of the moment thing cos I used to have one for 10 years. And I got a caravan to try and encourage the family to come along with me.
The SP trials thing is simply a bit of fun making something up out of bits in the shed. I've had a bit of a go at it and I think it's going to be a heap of shit...............  :-[ Weight is it's biggest problem, but I've got a grinder and I'll keep fiddling with it when time permits  ;)

The fitness campaign is going slowly. Seems I'm not as well as I thought, so I got the doctor to furish me with the appropriate drugs and send me on my way.  :D If that works, I'll be fine. It will, I'm only 25 after all................  ::)

Thanks again, K. If you come across one, let me know. The bike I got has a go-fast aftermarket pipe, so it might make more of a difference than it would if it had a stock exhaust.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:13:59 pm »
…but I've got a grinder…

Well all is good then  :D
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2010, 03:33:10 pm »
I think the important question is, where did you find the husky to start with??

Ed

Offline HuskyPete

• A-Grade
  • Huskys Only, maybe a CCM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
Ed, it's not what you know but who you know ;)
1967 360 Viking, 1969 360 Cross, 1974 250 Mag x 3, 1974 400 Cross x 1, 1974 450 WR, 1975 250GP, 1976 250 WR, 1978 390 Auto, 1982.5 500 Gold Bullet. 1976 390 OR, 78 CCM

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:04:49 am »
So what's the verdict Tony, how'd she go as a vinduro bike?
Cheers,
K

TT

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 07:31:34 pm »
I didn't ride it at Harrow, K. But I took it for a quick blast this arvo and I reckon I'm in dreamland thinking it would make a good Vinduro bike.  ::)
I'm really impressed with how well it goes, but it's not that easy to keep on song and it doesn't do good bottom end power. It will make a great desert bike though...............  ;)
Especially with that Purpleish Vesco tank I got off you (that didn't fit the SP) but just happens to be a 70's 'Husky' version!!  ;D