Author Topic: Overseas Rider  (Read 6668 times)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Overseas Rider
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:42:21 pm »
Does any-one remember the over-seas rider who was in Australia in 1976.  He won or placed in the South Australian State Titles which were held at Snake Gully that year.  I think he was from Ireland or Wales  ???  ???

Did Landman win the SA Title (Unlimited) that year?

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Overseas Rider
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 10:57:06 pm »
Does any-one remember the over-seas rider who was in Australia in 1976.  He won or placed in the South Australian State Titles which were held at Snake Gully that year.  I think he was from Ireland or Wales  ???  ???

Did Landman win the SA Title (Unlimited) that year?

Gday pirie593,
I wonder if it was Ivan Miller as I think he was out around that time.
Not sure about the 76 unlimited title but as you would know better than me, Mike won the 75 Unlimited, won the 251 and over, 2nd in the 250 and won the 125. If i remember correctly you were 3rd in the 251 and over and 3rd in the 125 titles that year also.

Regards Stan.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 08:29:35 am »
I liked keith, did anybody else race at keith.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 10:09:17 am »
Stan, I remember Miller at Snake Gully but it was earlier than 76.  My results were 2nd in 250+ and 3rd in 125 but I thought that was in 76???  ??? ???  Never did keep any of the trophies or sashes.

#46, yes, I raced at Keith and remember it as being similar to Pirie in that it was relatively flat and set out in a sand/limestone quarry.

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:23 am »
It couldbe Ivan Miller but he was a UK based Kiwi so that doesn't fit the Irish/Scottish description. I think that Englishman Neil Hudson toured Australia around that time. He would have been riding for Maico at that stage in his career. Maybe it was him?

Doggy Digger

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 11:23:50 am »
Miller was in Vic in 1975 - for State Titles, using MXb Yammies.

I think Hudson was here in 1977.

Maybe it was Billy Connolly ... and that's how he wound up marrying an Australian

Offline Husky70

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 11:34:36 am »
Point of order here - Pamela Stephenson was born in Auckland NZ. Right, carry on...

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 12:22:42 pm »
Maybe it was Billy Connolly ... and that's how he wound up marrying an Australian

What riding a Harley trike  :D :D :D

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 10:50:41 pm »
Firko, am sure it wasn't Ivan Miller because I remember racing with him previous to that.  Wasn't Hudson either because I would have remembered him when I met him in '78 (or he would have mentioned being in South Oz).  I think he only did the eastern sea board. I wonder if Dave Watson came out here?

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 10:28:48 am »
Stan, any chance that you have a program for the State Titles in those years (75/76). I think that SA introduced the Series concept for the first time in 77 with the top 6 getting entry to the Hang Ten Australian Championships  ???  ???

How is it that you have such a good knowledge of the events in SA?  Did you come over to ride often?

Does any-one remember an overseas rider named Morris??  (That sounds Welsh/Irish enough to me).

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 12:42:42 pm »
   Did Vic Allan ever race in oz?  :-\

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:45:46 pm »

Yes pretty sure and he'll be here in WA again in August 27th-29th
oops better make an inquiry first  :-X

http://www.vicallantraining.co.uk/vicallan.htm
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 01:04:24 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:49:33 pm »
Stan, any chance that you have a program for the State Titles in those years (75/76). I think that SA introduced the Series concept for the first time in 77 with the top 6 getting entry to the Hang Ten Australian Championships  ???  ???

How is it that you have such a good knowledge of the events in SA?  Did you come over to ride often?

Does any-one remember an overseas rider named Morris??  (That sounds Welsh/Irish enough to me).

I will have a look for a program tomorrow. I did come over to race in SA a bit in 75/76/77.
Can't remember anyone named Morris though.

Regards Stan.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:00:22 pm »
didn't Vic ride a triple triumph at the 2000 bathurst historic racing festival,seem to remember him wandering around the pits in leathers, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:04:09 pm »

Yes Vic Allan raced here in 1975 at Wallan twice I think, the Aussie Titles in Tasmania and also Amaroo Park. I'm not sure where else. He had some great battles with Gaston Rahier while he was here. He borrowed my slow action throttle off my mk 8 360 in Tasmainia because he didn't like the Quick Action one that had been fitted to his bike. Come to think of it I never saw it again.

Regards Stan.