Author Topic: LOW BLOW for NSW motorcylists.  (Read 2014 times)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
LOW BLOW for NSW motorcylists.
« on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:46 am »
As of the first of 1st of July, there was a massive rise in the price of rego and compulsory green slips for any Motorcycle over 225cc. The new grouping for costing assessment now goes from 226cc to 750cc.

My family wagon was just done for a cost $338 for compulsory green slip, BUT the humble small footprint XR250 is now a massive $467.32 for compulsory green slip, plus a jump in rego to $108, plus inspection fee.

I haven’t researched the "new" cost bracket for over 750cc, but I expect it will be similar pricing to a Jumbo Jet. A bit tough for those cattle dogs that only come out of the kennel for a pose two Sundays a year. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 03:02:23 am by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: LOW BLOW for NSW motorcylists.
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 05:10:09 am »
seems abit unfair that you have to pay the same as the 750cc boys after all a little 250 single 4 stroke wouldn't crack a ton even if it was going down a mine shaft, same as my old sr500 thumper you need a good day and tuck in to crack a ton,they should be based on horsepower and not cc's like they do in germany, that's why the old xt500's kept going for years after the wizz bang xt600's came out because they were way cheaper to have on the road and they had a market for them.

mx250

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 06:32:39 am »
As long as I've been a motorcyclist Rego insurance costs and rego justification have been an issues. And I've never had an explanation that satisfies me - particularly when you compare NSW to other states. But the whole of CTP seems to be controlled by some very powerful forces for their benefit and not the public good. They appear very entrenched.

But this new arrangement is particularly nasty, it changes the categories. People who choose smaller capacity bikes are now been slugged more and can't easily re-arrange they capacity class to avoid the increase.

The only answer is everyone to get politically active, that's the only way to get a change. This is the vehicle for protest.

http://www.mccofnsw.org.au/

monaro308

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 10:05:32 am »
Down here in Mexico,my rego is $612.30 each x 3 cars and the Boulevarde is $550.40 for the same reason as yours...mostly w/ends which is hardly ever these days,me old WR450 was $341.00 which NEVER saw tarmac.
I have the occasional whinge on car sites about the costs for things sitting around....and the usual immature answer you get is....you gotta pay to play and sell the ones that you don't use.
I tell them to go F themselves as if i didn't want them,i wouldn't have got them in the first place.My issue
 was that we are paying too much for multiple rego's that we can only use one at a time.
I remember years ago in Elizabeth st (city meca for bikes parking on the footpath)people and council were complaining about the bikes taking up space on the footpath (legal in Vic) and were ready to bring in a law to rid of bikes parking on the path.
The MRA organised a very early morning saturday ride when it's VERY busy,Vic market,shopping etc.
What they did was a beauty...they said ok,you want us off the footpath,we'll park in the parking spots like you want us to. Except no one counted on 1 bike in EACH car parking spot...lol
A sea of bikes nicely spread out over a large area with so much room between each other,and we were standing there talking to each other laughing and joking,whilst angry drivers were driving round and round looking for that 1 parking spot.
Lets just say that law was thrown out asap  ;D

Wouldn't surprise me that Vicroads is upto something as well with the recent rise in M/bike deaths over this last year.
Speed and stupidity is the usual comment from the cops and media.....not that it's been very wet for Victoria and bike ownership was higher over the fuel crisis times.....nah we are just idiots.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 11:17:49 am »
Bad news for NSW..what happened to the emissions policies etc  ::)  :-\
Over here in the west......KLR 12 mnths $213. Triton Mitsub Ute 12 mnths $526.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:24:45 pm »
Up here in sunny QLD u pay about $300 for a single seat 250 and $640 for a 4 cyl car. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

trailietrash

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:21 pm »
There was a massive 103% rise in green slip prices in NSW for 250cc motorcycles but rest assured..... all cars from bombs to Bugatti's had their green slip rise no more than 4%. Some, if not most, higher capacity bikes have come down in price as well. Most bikes that have dropped in green slip price seem to fit into the popular bikes ridden and purchased by the average Ulysses member.... and without being cynical I will not suggest that this may be a policy suggested by some State Bureaucrat who sells some positive spin to a Minister who doesn't care or  expect a backlash vote from the young, struggling voters who ride because of their need to for affordable, reliable transport but just may see more votes from "lifestyle bikers"
This is Bloody sad..... As I recall, in my youth that if I had not a cheap, affordable piece of transport in a motorcycle, then I would have missed many opportunities of part time employment that helped me gain work skills and find full time work as well as help employers who needed part time employees at the times that they needed. An inexpensive form of transport, like a motorcycle means that you can move quickly and inexpensively between jobs from .. say.. Penrith to Bondi where a scooter just can't hack the pace of the traffic.
 Less cars is less pollution but higher green slips for 250cc bikes will mean more cars, more pollution, less parking spaces, .... and a city in never ending turmoil.
I'm sure these laws are designed to wait for all the Ulysses members to Grow old... and die of old age ... then ban motorcycles for they are evil.  :(

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2010, 07:37:06 pm »
Probably some green thing. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2010, 09:03:56 pm »
Despite their many failings, and my extremely low expectations of them, I am surprised that the current NSW State Govt seems so hell-bent on alienating EVERY motorist beyond the 'Corolla to drive to work' crowd.

The idiotic 'no lowering or raising cars' line pissed off the 4WDers and anyone with a passing interest in modified cars.
The proposed 'make everything an ICV' is pissing off the hot-rodders and the more serious street machine guys.
The dragging of the chain over rally rego is pissing off the rally community.
The killing off of repairable write-offs pissed off the tinkerers and the repair shops.

And now this rubbish is pissing off bike riders. Even the riders I know who aren't hurt by it, are still annoyed at the stupidity of it.
All of these issues have become issues because they've been driven by politicians who are either scratching a non-existant itch, or who are making half-arsed responses to issues they clearly have minimal understanding of.

Personally, I suspect that the insurance companise probably wanted to jack the rates up like crazy for certain bikes, and this was seen as the workable compromise.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.