Author Topic: 85 kdx 200  (Read 1202 times)

chipmonk

85 kdx 200
« on: July 18, 2010, 09:59:23 pm »
hi,

I've been offered to buy a 85 kdx 200. this bike is complete and in un-restored condition. It has compliance plate and the engine runs.
the seller wants $1500 for it. do you think this is reasonable?
I have no idea how much they are worth.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: 85 kdx 200
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 10:59:18 pm »
I could be smart and say this thread is useless without photos but going on what you described i will say YES for sure.  Compliance plate, running, original and complete are 4 big ticks. The only thing is you wont be able to ride it at vinduros as they are for models up to 1984 if thats what you were thinking of using it for.
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 07:49:26 am »
The 84 and 85 models are mechanically identical, so I'd be amazed if anyone ever raised an eyebrow over an 85 model being used in VMX or Vinduro.

As Leith said, its hard without pics, but $1500 sounds fair. Original sometimes means "flogged to hell and back, and never had a spanner laid on it"....
Unless its immaculate, it still isn't a bargain at $1500 - these bikes aren't valued all that highly at the moment for a variety of reasons: They're well behind the class leaders as a 250 VMX bike, and the whole Vinduro thing is still quite a new concept. Its weird, because the ITs have a bit of a cult following (and consequently higher prices) but the KDX the better bike overall.

The main thing against owning a Kawasaki is the spare parts situation. They're like a lot of defunct Euro brands in that you can get the parts, but you can't rock up at the lcoal dealer at 4pm on a Friday and expect them to have it in stock. You need to scour Epay, make contacts, be willing to buy from overseas etc. I am also yet to find a Kawasaki dealer with a parts department worth pissing on, although Cowra Motorcycles are looking like changing my mind as they're willing to search for the bits I need (and they didn't tell me that there was no such thing as a 1984 KDX like the Canberra dealer did....).

Having said that, they're great bikes - to get a better bike for Vinduros, you'll have to be a bloody good rider or spend a lot more money (or both).
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

shoey

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 09:35:16 am »
On the occasions that we have run our Vinduro events we have allowed some 85 model bikes.

If we were running another Vinduro, we would allow the 85 Model KDX .(generally 85 model four strokes ie:XR's , TT's etc as they differ little from the 84 models.

Shoey