Author Topic: XT500 Break shaft Assy problem  (Read 2086 times)

dave

XT500 Break shaft Assy problem
« on: July 18, 2010, 12:51:16 pm »
I'm in the process of assembling my engine and while installing the contact breaker gear assembly I noticed that the gear doesn't have the notch/mark to align it with the Breaker Shaft drive gear on the end of the crankshaft!! ::) There's nothing wrong with my gear, so I don't want to throw it away. Any ideas on how to align it maybe using the locating pin position on the shaft for the advance unit? Thanks Dave

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: XT500 Break shaft Assy problem
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:05:18 pm »
me too!,just checked my motors a/ret shaft,(& a spare ::)),neithers indexed,& like Dave,i've no XT manual to follow ???,so 2 birds with one stone guys ;D,
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:21:30 pm »
all the marks are there but you need a w/shop manaul or a page showing the cam/point timing and too hard to explain,maybe colj500 could post a page or two as he likes to fork around with the old 500 thumper's and has the knowlage to put pics on this site.

dave

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:09 pm »
Both the factory manual and haynes say align the marks! Thanks for the comments...any others?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:27:42 pm by dave »

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 08:09:19 pm »
ok with the piston on t.d.c compression stroke [cam lobes facing down] you should see a dot/centre punch mark on the crankshaft gear which should be at the 2 o'clock     install your points drive shaft and align the marks on the crankshaft/points drive and thats it. if you have trouble after that ill send you a p/copy of the page that shows all of this but it should be in your 2 books anyway unless there for a sr500 which dont have points [cdi]your books should have a diagram on setting up the cam timing and points drive some where in the engine section

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 10:57:08 pm »
think i just found the corresponding mark to the dot on the driving crankshaft mounted pinion gear,is it slightly "inked" on?,i had to emery the wheel to find it,it's nearly dead opposite the locating pin for the advance?,2 teeth to the right between the 2 & 3rd teeth!, would that make sense?,(i only have SR manual),ta matt, :P

Offline TT5 Matt

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 01:52:54 am »
think i just found the corresponding mark to the dot on the driving crankshaft mounted pinion gear,is it slightly "inked" on?,i had to emery the wheel to find it,it's nearly dead opposite the locating pin for the advance?,2 teeth to the right between the 2 & 3rd teeth!, would that make sense?,(i only have SR manual),ta matt, :P
[
hi Mick
pm me your address and ill post a copy of the cam /point drive timing to ya and you can post it to Dave or put it on this site,just put a gold coin into the guide dog donation tin ;) as they did alot for my late mother who was near blind,once you see it on paper it's easy as to do/quote]

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 08:52:38 pm »
nah,i'm good Matt  ;D,i just assumed the mark would be more defined like it's driving pinions' punched dot,both points shaft gears surfaces were pretty average,but cleaned up you can see the corresponding index mark ok,Dave kitchen scouring pads the go  ;), :P