Author Topic: New addition to the family.  (Read 5878 times)

firko

New addition to the family.
« on: July 18, 2010, 11:22:33 am »
As much as I've said that there'd be no more new projects bought until the current production line is cleared, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse to own the pictured Hindall framed DT1. As many of you know I already own a Hindall framed Ducati 250 and the frame and odds and sods of the 1972 Dirt Bike Magazine Project Bighorn Hindall-Kawasaki 350 and have been championing the amazing quality of this almost forgotten California frame maker from the sixties and seventies for yonks so finding this bike is especially important to me.

The photos show the bike in the late 90's before it was restored by Bob Neilson in 2001. The bare frame photo shows the bike under resto which included re nickeling the frame by the original firm that undertook Harry's frame plating in the sixties. The engine is a fully rebuilt genuine DT1MX piston port and comes with motocross and dirt track ported cylinders. The wheels are rebuilt and polished DT2MX items and the forks are machined down DT1 with rare alloy GYT triple clamps. The bike has a hokey aftermarket plastic tank and Preston Petty guards that I'll replace with either alloy items or stock DT1 tank and fenders. Let's see what looks best after it arrives.

The deal was struck so that it can be shipped with the Redline Honda XL350 Jonesy bought from Bob and my Triumph engine and Morris flat track wheels which Bob has kindly picked up for me. Bob Neilson has an amazing collection which he turns over from time to time. He owns a number of Hindalls along with some nice trackers and MXers, all out of left field. He has an uncanny knack of finding obscure and rare machines, as I've shown on this forum over the years. His latest find is an Aussie P&R Bimota copy framed TZ350 Yamaha! I wonder how that ended up in the States?

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: New addition to the family.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:11 am »
very sweet Firko 8)
what would be the target for this bike,
pre~70 or pre~75?
"flat bickie"

firko

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:40:53 am »
Thanks Vandy, not sure what division it'll slip into. Harry Hindall started making these 2 stroke frames in 1968 so if I can produce proof of pre '70 manufacture that's where it'll go. I think it'd make a nice sidekick to the Cheney, covering both ends of the pre '70 class.

mx250

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:43:08 am »
Those early photos sure looks knobbly and period 'home made'. We'll see what the Firko 'artistic eye' can polish up.

When are you opening your 'Rare and Exotic' MX Museum Firko  ;) :D  

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:46:03 am »
firko i got a new addition last night as welll a little known frame maker by the name off Bill Canfield
he made frames calld fast track for cr250ms and yamahas
i am also led to belive this from flattrack dot com
Fast Track were made in Albuqerque in the early 70s by AMA expert, Bill Canfield. He built Elsinore, Yamaha and Triumph frames, good workmanship. Bill also made pipes and I believe was the inventor of what we now know as the K and N filters along with Bobby J.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:58:29 am »

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:59:10 am »

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 12:01:29 pm »
You beat me to it MX250.
Obviously a mobile museum 8)
I thinks its maybe time you considered some sort of rigid or low loader Firko ;D
With all the yearly opportunities such as HBBB, CD’S and show and shines, etc. I immagine it won't be long before you can put a toll gate on your tent :D Given the fact that you have practically cornered the market with the rare and exotic?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 12:04:08 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 12:02:11 pm »

Gee that's a nice pickup too Jim.
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

firko

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 12:16:49 pm »
Cool Jim....welcome to the world of the weird and wonderful. That's a nice piece of kit Jim.
When are you opening your 'Rare and Exotic' MX Museum Firko

Graeme, I'm an amateur compared to Jonesy and Edgar Phipps. We've jokingly spoken of doint the museum thing but we'll settle for the Show,n,Shine once a year. ;D

firko

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 07:59:05 am »
The Hindall's being disassembled for it's ocean cruise to its new home at Casa del Firko. The new rule here is that if a new bike comes in, one has to go out so even though I sold the DT2MX and Rickman Monty frame, I'll also be selling another bike before the Hindall arrives. Probably my Yamaha MX125 b. Here's some shots of the new toy which looks to be in pretty good nick, even the tyres look brand new.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 04:22:50 pm »
How do they adjust the chain on thse frames
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

mx250

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 04:48:45 pm »
How do they adjust the chain on thse frames
There's a snail cam at the pivot  ;) :).

firko

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 11:33:06 am »
Here they are, all dressed up for the migration to Australia.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:36:34 am by firko »

mainline

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 12:44:23 pm »
you must be getting excite now! what's the ETA?