Author Topic: This seems to be the rage at the moment  (Read 4941 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: This seems to be the rage at the moment
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 11:32:33 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong: He's only changing to the newer frame & plastics, but not the suspension/brakes/etc?

Seems like a bloody expensive exercise in that case. I fully understand the idea of putting a two-stroke engine into the latest model rolling chassis, but this seems like doing half the job.

I've got the idea of fitting a modified DT200 motor to an alloy framed YZ125 and making it a serious, do everything trailbike (rather than a full-blown MXer or even a 'proper' enduro bike), but its one of those 'pie in the sky' ideas for the time being.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 11:35:30 am »
I've got the idea of fitting a modified DT200 motor to an alloy framed YZ125 and making it a serious, do everything trailbike (rather than a full-blown MXer or even a 'proper' enduro bike), but its one of those 'pie in the sky' ideas for the time being.

DO IT 40 Hp awaits
Jesus only loves two strokes

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 11:42:54 am »
I don't think people know what they want!? :-[

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 11:57:38 am »
I like it. A couple of months ago I took a look at an under construction bike using a latish Honda CR250 engine two stroke fitted to one of the thousands of blown up Honda 450CRF rollers you can buy for shit money. Like the above bike, there are some problems to overcome but if you use some lateral thinking and are savvy at searching wrecking yards and eBay, it makes an interesting project. The owner of the bike I saw used a late 90's Talon Yamaha back wheel he got for $50 off eBay that works a treat with the Honda caliper and lines up with the CR250 motor better for some reason. He reckons he'll have the bike up and running for under 4k. 

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:06:28 pm »
I've been riding with a guy on the kapiti coast who has a gas gas 280 trials bike engine fitted to a alloy cr125 frame set up fairly soft in the suspension, makes a very capable bike that will go places no enduro bike will. Unless you know the engine didn't start out in the frame you'd think it was factory fitted

monaro308

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »
I'm always into something different and the more people do it,the more tips there are out there like firko stated.
Whether its the way to go with a more "rigid" frame and suspension,it keeps people happy knowing they have the lastest looking jigger with a you beaut 2 stroke to impress their mates
Hey firko any tips on where the roller CRF's are what money they are pulling?

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:52:22 pm »
From what I've seen, the late model rollers usually go straight from the bike shop who have quoted $3000 for a rebuild, directly to the wrecker.
Virtually every wrecker seems to have at least one newish 4-stroke MXer with the motor in a box, but they always part the bikes out....

FWIW, I missed out on an '06 YZ125 with a seized bottom end and a melted fuel tank for $1000 the other week. The melted fuel tank (and CDI box) bit was a bit scary, but without seeing the bike, I don't know how scary.
There's an 04(?) KTM 4-stroke with a dead motor that's advertised locally for $2300ono, if that means anything.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 08:18:16 pm »
Correct me if I'm wrong: He's only changing to the newer frame & plastics, but not the suspension/brakes/etc?

Seems like a bloody expensive exercise in that case. I fully understand the idea of putting a two-stroke engine into the latest model rolling chassis, but this seems like doing half the job.

The suspension and brakes are the same on the RM250 2t and RMZ250.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 08:26:44 pm »
OK - that makes the difference between the stocker RM and the "2T RMZ" even smaller, and really makes it seem like a hell of a lot of money for a fairly small gain.

I'm not familiar with the realities Suzuki alloy vs steel frames, but in principle, I'd prefer the steel frame any day - and sure as hell wouldn't want to spend multiple thousand dollars just to get an alloy frame.

Offline Big John

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 09:44:15 pm »
It all seems like a lot of work when you can go out and buy a YZ250 with an aluminium frame. That what I did, 2007 YZ250 I got for $5000 it already had flywheel weight and a lighting kit I put a 12 litre IMS tank on it and got it Vic rec reg. It's the best bush bike Iv'e owned and when it needs a rebuild I can do it all myself for a fraction the cost of a four stroke. The only modification I would like to do is put WR450 3rd, 4th and 5th gears that fit straight in it. But I won't be doing that unless I have to split the cases for some reason.

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 02:24:55 pm »
Just goes to show the manufactures have it wrong. People DO still want 2 strokes.

All Things 414

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 03:30:20 pm »
Just goes to show the manufactures have it wrong. People DO still want 2 strokes.
Everyone except the serious racer it seems. :-\
I reckon Big John's on the money. I couldn't think of a sweeter, quieter bike than a late model YZ 2t for the bush (if that's your thing). Far easier than all that choppin' and shuntin' and breakin' and......

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 03:38:17 pm »
Everyone except the serious racer it seems. :-\
I reckon Big John's on the money. I couldn't think of a sweeter, quieter bike than a late model YZ 2t for the bush (if that's your thing). Far easier than all that choppin' and shuntin' and breakin' and......

Um its not the serio8us racers that want the 4 bangers , its the JAp factories loking for more parts sales and more EPA style compliences, in backward, western coutries, id say 70% or third world bikes would be 2 smoker scooters......  and thats why they keep going foreva
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

All Things 414

« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 03:51:36 pm »
Yes Freaky in our VMX world we all love the two stroke but as Johnny O pointed out, ask a serious modern racer what they'll opt for and I'm afraid you're not gunna like the answer.... :-X