Author Topic: ITC Ohlins query  (Read 1453 times)

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
ITC Ohlins query
« on: July 14, 2010, 07:43:33 am »
I have a pair on a newly revived 510 TE. The shocks werent leaking so I gassed them up and put them on with heavy duty YSS springs.
I think they may be CR but not sure. Went from 150 - 220 PSI
Anyhow the shocks have very little rebound(if any). I frightened the shit out out of myself at double the dirt (dirt track)last weekend with the pogoing action of the back!
So is the rebound being overcome by heavy duty springs or is just not there?

I havent put on the white old springs to check the difference, but would like to throw it out there for opinion. Is a rebuild or revalve?

The springs are on the point of being too heavy for me (85 k no gear on) but not terrible...
I put them on as I rode another with the heavy springs and liked it

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: ITC Ohlins query
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 08:54:56 am »
Anyhow the shocks have very little rebound(if any). I frightened the shit out out of myself at double the dirt (dirt track)last weekend with the pogoing action of the back!
So is the rebound being overcome by heavy duty springs or is just not there?
when you say "very little rebound" and "pogoing action"
i take it you mean they're returning to full length too quickly?
if thats the case, it could be the heavier springs, then of course needing a revalve.
i'd be fitting the stock white springs back on first purely for comparison sakes.
how's the compression?
"flat bickie"

Offline SUZUKI311

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 09:42:51 am »
had a similar problem recently, rebuilt a set of ITC shocks for a forum member which were knackered, replaced seal heads etc etc, and off the bike they felt fine with no springs. put on the springs, and they seemd to override the valving. ended up revalving the rebound side to make them useable.
1977 RM80B-UNDER CONSTRUCTION-(Still after 11 years !) 2017 KTM 350EXCF , 96 CBR600, . Member of Bendigo Motorcycle club since 1981, Viper No. 311 (old VMBA Number!!)

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:32:17 am »
with no springs the dampers  return slowly like they should when compressed.
Compression is a little harder to judge with pushing on a static bike, but it there. the rebound is virtually non existant, like on dead shocks
I will try the white springs again.
Is the rebound dampening an internal adjustment or does it need parts changed?
ta

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:12 am »
Sean the harder spring rate won't change the rebound that much, it's quite possible someone's had the shocks apart and not lined the triangle shaped shims up to cover the oil flow the holes in the piston leaving them partially open. Had a pair of ITC's recently from another qvmx member with the same problem. I presume you are running them in the normal inverted position.