Author Topic: Are early 70's Maico's easy to live with?  (Read 6513 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
Are early 70's Maico's easy to live with?
« on: July 12, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »
Am looking to buy a 2nd pre 75 bike -- have a cz250 yellow tanker -- relaible and predictable to ride for me -- and I never got of the bottom of C Grade back then!
Am looking for a bike with a bit more action -- perhaps to get my son interested -- he is a 24 year old cr250 pilot who thinks ridin' is easy and my cz is for pussies -- so as said looking for more grunt -- and am willing to try another marque -- so are the early 400s ok reasonable to start, ride and maintain?
Thanks

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Are early 70's Maico's easy to live with?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 09:17:16 pm »
get a suzuki tm400 I am getting one from Queensland I can't wait to do it up and ride it. ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 09:25:36 pm by frostype400 »
1971 tm400 and PE's

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 09:28:35 pm »
Yeah -- I know their good -- they won back then and they will still win -- but would you really marry one?

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 09:33:58 pm »
they're not very good in bed, bit hard to handle and have a tendency to wet the bed
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:56 pm »
Well you would say that wouldn't you Tossa!!!  ::)

Only askin' 'cause I value your collective opinion -- anyone?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 09:51:29 pm »
if you have a yellow tanker 250 why not get a yellow tanker 400 .i set of tools i set of spares.no the bikes inside out.the only difference is the crank piston and barrel.easy to start and tune
if you can get a sidepiper 360 and cover pre 70 as well.
just my 2 cents woth
jim
fellow cz yellow tanker owner 380cc

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 10:48:28 pm »
Thanks Jim,  that's what I have been thinkin but I suppose I'm just lookin over the fence and wonderin -- the 2 X cz's argument is a good one -- especially since there is a lot of "commonality".
I was biddin on a 400 cz on ebay a couple of weeks ago -- but it just got too expensive for me -- about $6500 in the end -- I did go and have a look at it and it was obvious it was a top bike -- but just a bit too much $ for me.
The late 60's and up to 75 cz's seem to be expensive (and I couldn't even dream of a mid 60's cz) -- just like pre 85 Maicos can be expensive.
To put it another way -- so far as the pre 75 bikes are concerned -- are the Maico's 400's any harder to live with than cz 380/400's?

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 06:26:06 am »
i woodnt think so once you sort it out should be fine speak to paul on the forum about them he has contacts all over.again ther is the pre 70 bike as well
jim

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 07:54:01 am »
maicos arent cheap .there highly collectable ,as other bikes they have there problems ,but a well sorted maico is still a good thing .and the seem to hold there value.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:19 am »
Am looking to buy a 2nd pre 75 bike -- have a cz250 yellow tanker -- relaible and predictable to ride for me -- and I never got of the bottom of C Grade back then!
Am looking for a bike with a bit more action -- perhaps to get my son interested -- he is a 24 year old cr250 pilot who thinks ridin' is easy and my cz is for pussies -- so as said looking for more grunt -- and am willing to try another marque -- so are the early 400s ok reasonable to start, ride and maintain?
Thanks

He's just trying to kill ya,so he can collect his inheritance  ;)   ;D
Reliable 350 Jap,cheap parts, fun,can be rebored and wont do too much damage to ya body.(hope)
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:07 am »
Early seventies Maico big bores are probably the most competitive package you'll find for pre '75.
If they're maintained properly they're rock solid reliable, even as reliable as a "brick shithouse" CZ.
250 Maicos are equally as reliable but are burdened by a 4 speed box in an engine that's crying for a five speed and are very conservatively ported, translating as "kinda slow". They can be made very competitive with some rudimentary port and pipe work.

My pick of the pre '75 bunch would be a '74 400. Although not as straight line fast as a 440, it's a lot easier to ride, doesn't vibrate nearly as much and isn't really that much slower. For pre '70, the 350 square barrel is the pick but 360 and 400's are still pretty good. The square barrel isn't much slower than the radial so don't be put off by thinking the bike may be too far off the competitive scale.

Pricewise Maicos can be expensive but bargains do come along from time to time. Remember though that you get what you pay for. I've seen a couple of "bargain" Maicos in recent times that turned out to be far from bargains. Check the engine mounts for flogged out bolt holes and make sure the engine mount under the engine is in place. Many newbie Maico owner/builders inadvertently leave it out, not realising it's importance until their bike has shaken itself to bits. Check the steering head area for structural cracks and go through the usual used bike checklist and you'll be right. Enginewise Maicos are as close to bulletproof as any other pre '75 engine. Look for primary chain wear and clutch plate warpage. Be careful with fibreglass tanks deconstructing due to the additives in modern fuel. To be sure, internally coat the tank or use an alloy version. The front brake is kind of  average but can be made to work with some careful setting up or replace it with a Yamaha conical item.   

In stock trim you won't find a better handling bike than a Maico. The factory got the critical engine characteristics/suspension/frame geometry balance better than the opposition. They bring out the Adolf Weil in most of us, they're that forgiving to ride.

To answer the question Are early 70's Maico's easy to live with?, if the bike's a good one and set up correctly the answer is a resounding Yes.

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 09:08:09 pm »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190414400953&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Would have fit the bill. Still might be for sale.
If price is an issue, what about an mx400? with the majority of tracks we run on, the handling isn't too much of an issue.

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 08:51:10 pm »
Thanks Firko.
Can I check for the clutch plate warpage by looking for a clean disengagement? And can that be expected when cold?
How do I check for primary chain wear or will it be bleedin' obvious or does it requre the cover coming off?  Is there a rule of thumb check?
Thanks again

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 11:17:38 pm »
090 -- I rang to see about that ebay 440 Maico near Brisbane -- sold the day after the auction closed  :'(

firko

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 09:48:08 am »
Thanks Firko.
Can I check for the clutch plate warpage by looking for a clean disengagement? And can that be expected when cold?
How do I check for primary chain wear or will it be bleedin' obvious or does it requre the cover coming off?  Is there a rule of thumb check?
It'll be pretty obvious that all's not well with the clutch when you go on your first test ride. It'll have trouble going into gear and once you get rolling you could experience either severe grabbing or slipping or as mine is at the moment, both!

The primary chain situation is a bit harder to find. At the absolute worst the chain will be scraping on the upper edge of the clutch cover causing a grinding noise. If you aren't familiar with the quirky noises coming from a Maico engine you probably won't recognise it though. The best way is to remove the cover and see how much play there is in the chain . 1/4 to 3/8 of slack is about all you want. Any more and you'll need to replace it.