Author Topic: Calling all four-eyes  (Read 3170 times)

mainline

Calling all four-eyes
« on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:37 am »
Has anyone got any tips for glasses fogging up under your goggles? it got so bad yesterday arvo when the sun was low that I had to stop after the first lap

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all four-eyes
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 10:01:03 am »
Scotts and contact lenses work well here.
Only use contacts for serious race events.  ;)  ;D
Also do know of a rider that has a fan system set up inside his goggles--it works a treat. true
I've also seen in the past Steven with one finger under his goggles,before the lacky lets go. :P
best of luck Alison
http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=1013.0
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 10:06:17 am »
Isnt that a heart problem?....lack of? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

shoey

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 10:18:08 am »
Steve's trick with the finger under the googles works a treat.

Leave the google off until the very last moment.(The velcro attached googles are perfect for this)

Only buy good quality googles with adequate ventilation openings.

Ensure you clean not only the lenses are each heat , but also dry the foam liner.

firko

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:31:54 am »
I used to use this stuff my Mum got me from the Sterling mail order catalogue. It's an anti fog spray on stuff for car windscreens. I spray both my goggles and glasses and don't have any fogging problems despite being a head sweater.
The only problem is that I just went out to the shed to find it so I can give its name but I can't locate it. Super Cheap or Autobarn should carry a product called Rain Ex Anti Fog* that does the same thing. There's also another product that's made to prevent bathroom mirrors fogging up. You'd probably get it at Bunnings or even the supermarket.

*Rain-X Anti-Fog Review from the AutoSpeed website.

A more recent addition to the range, the Anti-Fog treatment appears to be made by a different company - the Unelko Corporation. No matter; it's marketed under the same Rain-X brand. This stuff's so much alcohol that you could prob drink it, but it's actually sold to wipe over the interior of glass. Doing this prevents interior fogging, misting and steaming, apparently. It's said to be suitable for the inside of car windows, for bathroom mirrors, for helmet visors and so on. We decided to try it in the steamiest area we could find - the bed-, oops, the bathroom.

And did it work? Well, kind of. The fogging of the mirror was obviously reduced, but you still couldn't see anything in the mirror anyway. It wasn't the radical change caused by the Rain-X, that's for sure.

At $8 for the Rain-X Anti-Fog, it might be worth it if you have a particularly thorny fogging problem, but it's not a product to buy as a matter of course.

http://www.rain-x.com/home.htm

« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:51:25 am by firko »

Offline RED ALERT

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 10:57:27 am »
The old El-cheapo trick has always been to fog up the inside of the lense with your breath, then using a soft cloth or tissue rub a small amount of dishwashing liquid onto the inside of the lense.
After this polish it with a clean soft cloth until clear. Works in a pinch, maybe not as well as an anti-fog spray but cheap and effective.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 11:08:53 am by RED ALERT »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 11:42:43 am »
Strangely this point was raised over a campfire discussion at CD7 with Geoff Ballard and whilst I don't wear glasses, my best mate does and I have watched him mid race remove the goggles and just ride with his glasses, not good. Anyway Geoff said that he was using the same venting system that my mate had just ordered but not recieved as yet and swore by it. Geoff said that he had done multi hour enduros in some of the worst conditions and never fogged up, something that can be backed up by my freind that has installed it and used it at the last VIPER event in rather shite conditions. Essentially it is a battery driven de-humidifyer and fan venting system from Scott that screws to the underside (inside) the goggle frame. Utilized with the OTG frame system and no fog solution it apperas to be the way to go.

This is not the first time a battery powered unit has been developed (and failed to deliver), but it certainly looks as if a lot of work has gone into it and it actually does what it is meant to do.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline oldmxracer

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 07:09:09 pm »

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 07:50:35 pm »
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 07:56:50 pm »
This is the other item that we have ordered, but not recieved yet. Heard a lot of good things about it.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/MXA-PRODUCT-TEST-HABER-ELIMINATOR-NOFOG-GOGGLE-FAN-3879.aspx
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline tony27

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 05:41:53 am »
I thought there used to be a place advertising in ADB that did vision correcting google lenses, couple those with anti-fog or 1 of those fans if they work & things would be near perfect. Can't beat contacts though

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 01:26:01 pm »
I use anti fog lens cleaning patches as supplied by any of the safety companies. I clean my goggles and glasses lens’s between races or carry a few on a trail ride. In high humidity fogging is a problem but this and putting the goggles down at the last minute seems to work for me.

I think the choice of goggles helps too, as has been mentioned goggles with good ventilation help. I have a pair of OAKLEY “O” frame goggles but they have indents in the foam to allow the arms of my glasses to fit through. They also have a bit of extra space inside the frame to accommodate various sized glasses. The extra space in the goggle frame also helps with reducing fogging. I’ve added roll-offs to them as well but after 7 years, two straps and countless lenses the frames are starting to break and I haven’t been able to find another pair.

I need glasses all the time and I’ve thought of using lens inserts like “Goggleman” but they don’t suit me as I couldn’t see much with out lenses, I'd be stuffed when I took my goggles off. I even have to carry my reading glasses in case of trailside repairs!
Getting old SUCKS!

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was