Author Topic: Chris Drake  (Read 1572 times)

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
Chris Drake
« on: July 10, 2010, 05:47:10 pm »
Just heard tragic news from our NZ friends that well known & respected VMX identity Chris Drake passed away . Apparently it was suicide. What a waste!!

Offline sudman

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Chris Drake
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 07:44:22 pm »
Very sad news Colin, I hope you are in a happier place Chris ride hard, condolences to the family.
PE175T,RM175T,C & J XL350 73,C&J XL350 75

firko

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:30:23 pm »
Chris Drake was one of those blokes who seemed to be on top of everything. He was a likable, upbeat and seemingly happy sort of guy. He was one of those quirky characters that stood out in a crowd and would always be at the centre of all the action. As well as being a nice bloke, he could really ride, winning a class at the Ravenswood Nats a few years ago when he came over with Rob Happer, Malcolm Hill and some other South Island Kiwis. He visited us many times after that, always racing one of Edgar Phipps bikes and usually winning. His last visit was to the Crawford River Classic a few years ago where he had a great time and was once again the life of the party..
Whatever was eating away at Chris enough for him to take his own life was very well hidden.....no one had even the slightest inkling that he was that low. That's what makes it so tragic and so bloody sad.

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 09:49:29 am »
So sad a cleaver likable bloke who helped me out and seemed to being well in life.
Travel well Drakey, Mike
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

MC

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 06:01:21 pm »
Hey Guy's saw this post a few nights ago and made a coupla phone calls to find out if this was right and unfortunately it is.
 Chris ran the Second round of the South Island Mainland Series Christchurch this time last year and although I didn't agree with his mindset regarding VMX, I still feel guy's like him are few enough on the ground and to loose one in this way is just an out n out bastard. To all those that knew him have a beer for him and hope this is the last VMX mad bugger we write about in this way.

Cheers MC