Author Topic: Fitness Training for Old Bastards  (Read 4409 times)

TT

Fitness Training for Old Bastards
« on: June 26, 2010, 05:40:48 pm »
A question for those of you that are a bit more serious about racing still. What do you do to get/keep in shape?
I'm asking this question sitting here with a beer, but I expect to be doing more riding in the next 12 months and really do need to be much fitter to try and keep injuries at bay.  :-\
I hate running etc, so is there anything that's a bit more fun that you blokes do? Apart from riding, that is!  :D

Maybe I need to ring Steve Gall........  ;)

Offline cyclegod

• Legend
  • Sunny PERTH W.A
    • View Profile
    • cyclegod on "youtube"
Re: Fitness Training for Old Bastards
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2010, 05:56:41 pm »
There' no substitute for regular riding, I used to paddock bash after school/work when I was racing, but when the weather was grim for 2 nights a week I used to play badminton  ;). The equipment is cheap and the club nights were very social in there outlook (sort of thing that is good to bring the missus and the kids to) and as a good training exercise with lunges, quick steps, and fast hand/eye co-ordination a must for good gameplay (it's always indoors which makes it a great winter activity too) I always had a fun night playing hard (club nights were 6pm-10pm, competion nights could get to midnight sometimes  ;D) and found that forearm pump was reduced too.
Ban BLACK rims NOW

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2010, 06:05:08 pm »
Water skiing and more vmx/mx  8)
Bit of swinging on the side of a sidecar ;D 
cheers Alison,Steven & Ben   ;D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:01:19 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

shoey

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2010, 06:06:33 pm »
Tony

Buy a bicycle and a good back pack.

As you get fitter add more full two litres water bottles to the pack.(until you reach 10kg and 30km round trip) That will fix the legs and cardio side of it.

Core strength , nothing beats incline bench sit ups and chin ups.
Start at a modest number and in a 8.0 weeks you will be banging out 10 sets of ten per session.

Chest , start with push ups and as you develop your strength move on to dips.

"Shoulders" , pulldowns start light and work up to 60 kg , 12 per set 8.0 weeks and you will be ten sets of ten per session.

Break the week up into body parts.

Bike in morning , body in evening.

It will hurt alot at the start but stay with it.

Get a check up from the Local doctor first.

Shoey

Works for me , has for most of my time.

TT

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2010, 07:54:32 pm »
Get a check up from the Local doctor first.

What are you trying to say............  :-\   Good call though.  ;)

I want to ride as much as possible, but I reckon I could deal with cycling. My boy is into the BMX thing, so maybe doing something with him would give me incentive too.  ;D

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2010, 08:04:43 pm »
Hey Alison (or is that you Steve.....for fugs sake , one of you's get a diferent name and stop confusing us), what kind of "swinging"?.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Online Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2010, 08:10:52 pm »
Hey Alison (or is that you Steve.....for fugs sake , one of you's get a diferent name and stop confusing us), what kind of "swinging"?.

keys in the ashtray ?
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline frostype400

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2010, 08:12:40 pm »
you want a mountain bike Tony do not get in all lycra and take to the road if they do bring in pushbike registration I will only have to pay half I only use one wheel on my mountain bike. ;)
1971 tm400 and PE's

monaro308

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 08:17:34 pm »
I'm with shoey...mountain bike is the go and if you have proper trails,even better.
I don't race at all but mountain bikes keep me kinda fit for a 45y/old :D

shoey

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 08:28:06 pm »
Hey Tony

Sorry , i dont mean anything by the comment , you looked well when we were away recently but at our ages , we must be very careful.

If you have not trained for a while its best to have a check up.

Saftey first , plus it gives you something to work from.

Also , drink plenty of water

Shoey

TT

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:40 pm »
Sorry mate, I was only joking.  :D
Not so sure about the 'looking well" bit though.  ;)

You're right, it's worth a quick service before a tough trip and I'll do that next week.

I'm looking at getting a new bike asap that will give me the incentive to get back into racing, so I want to do it right.  ;)  ;D ;D

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2010, 09:08:40 pm »
i agree with the cycling Tony,
if putting in the hard klm's and doing big rides for fitness ain't gettin the motivation happening then chuck big wheelies instead! ;)
i can't wheelie anything like i could as a kid but best to be out having fun and getting fit then not to be.
when i'm on track, i mix up the cycling with walking as i find with my back issues, walking is better.
so does this mean we'll be seeing a lean mean Tony at CD8?
"flat bickie"

Offline pmc57

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2010, 09:17:11 pm »
I follow Shoey's fitness line of thinking. His comment in "what do I hate the most" thread he mentioned blown out suff, I too am a surfer, more an aged surfer these days and also hate blown out surf, but spending two hours out in the surf paddling a board through the waves certainly gives you a good workout and great strength building, particuarly in the upper body.
I'm sure not many of our fellow VMX riders are into the surf scene, so I suggest swimming. Swimming provides a great cardiovascular and airobic workout routine, plus it's good for low impact upper body strength training and a great way to loose a few kilos to boot. Initially you may not be able to swin 50 meters without stopping for a break, but you will be surprised how quickly you can get in to the groove with a session or two a week and eventually finding youself swimming 1-2 klm in a session.

The saying "use it or lose it" rings very true as we all age, more strength training equals stronger bones and stronger more fleible joints, exactly what we need to withstand those falls that inevertable will come when rideing bikes.

Offline jimson

• Legend
  • Sanctuary point N.S.W
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2010, 10:18:02 pm »
G'day Tony I've lost 10 kilo's  ;D  in the last four months I joined a gym and try and go five times a week but it ends up two or three times and I ride a pushy every now and then I wish it was a pussy  :o  ;D anyways just make sure what ever you do you enjoy it or you wont be doing it for long. jimson

P.S Don't eat potato my wife use's it to fill the plate and over the years it feeled my guts now I don't touch it and I think its helped with the weight lose.
Just a balless freak having a go

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 01:54:42 pm »
I ride my mountain bike almost everyday and I try and ride my modern bike (YZ 250 2 stroke) a few times a week and I jog to the bar and carry heavy schooners back to the table.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle