Author Topic: Barrabool old programs and photo's  (Read 14448 times)

SAABCOMBI

Re: Barrabool old programs and photo's
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 02:30:58 pm »
jerry, l was at a barrabool meeting, not sure it was you, but there was a fellow racing an Ossa Phantom, 1974 or 75, but l was tossing up wheather to buy a Montesa VR 250, Ossa, Phantom, Bultaco Mk7 250, l did end up buying a Husqvarna 250 Mag, l beautifull bike at the time, raced it for a season, but very close in buying the ossa or a Mk7. Getting back to that meeting at Barrabool, on the day there was only one person racing an ossa Phantom, and that may have been you Jerry. Micheal Coombes, great rider, but once the drugs get involved that is the end, firko did he go to Jail and for how long.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:33:46 pm by DAVID#46 »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
In 1975 Neil Crompton raced Husqvarna 360, l still have a photo of neils husky, racing at newtown track, now that was a very good track, love that track. Neil was very quick and well sponsored competitor, l am not sure what year he finished racing motocross, but he has done well for himself.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 02:41:05 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline jerry

• Legend
  • Beware the work ethic of the evil
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2010, 03:40:46 pm »
I think I was #78. Jerry

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »
I never knew that Mike Landman was a member of Frankston back then (i've been on and off...more off :D)
I also see a very young Neil Crompton in there as well.
Was Devon Meadows a popular track/club as i didn't know it existed until a few years ago and remember hearing that Neil was/could have been a member there as well.
Sorry Stan......but good to see some programs before my time...not that i ever raced MX.
Cheers...Mario

Gday Mario, I'm glad you enjoyed the programs. I raced at Devon Medows a couple of times, I remember it to be a really good sand track. Neil Crompton was a member of our club in Ballarat, the Ballarat Rovers MCC. He was an extremely good Junior Rider and did ride well in senior races but I guess his life as a professional commentator and business man then later car racer was going in a different direction to his motocycle racing. As for Mike Landman, I remember he was always a very strong Frankston club member and I raced against him many times. He was a great rider and a really nice guy as well.

Regards Stan

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2010, 09:07:07 pm »
Does anyone know who ended up with Michel Combes factory 125 Montesa? I saw it for sale in Just bikes a few years ago.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2010, 09:33:05 pm »
Sad to say Johonny, it was sold to a Americian collector years ago, the last time l saw the bike it was at ravenswood,
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:36:37 pm by DAVID#46 »

monaro308

« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2010, 01:21:31 am »
Thanks for that info Stan and David,i got interested in MX about 77 onwards and remembered Mike Landman from then onwards.
If i recall he was part of the Milledge Yamaha team and  ::) I took a liking to Yamaha YZ80s
I always thought back then that it was Gally that got me into YZs but now that i think about it i honestly think it was Mike and the Milledge team and if it was Mike on the PEPSI Mr.Motocross cans during the series.....thats if i haven't lost my marbles.
Sorry once again to go off track,but it had me thinking when it all started for me...
Thanks Stan  ;)

Jumbo

« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 07:39:56 pm »
Hey Stan S. Great info in all these programs! I have a lot of scanned photos of the 1974 event and with the help of your program scans can now put names to the numbers! I raced for Pratt and Osborne Motors starting in 1975, but alas you stop at '74. Do you have any from 1975? My first race was at Monza Park, I believe your home track. My race number was No 1! Mostly did Western Centre meetings, was C grade champ in '75, also won the Norm Mc Donald memorial trophy.
My name is Jim Van Sluys, was always spelt wrong in programs! lol! Will get these pics sorted and posted. Any info appreciated!  ;D Cheers Jim, Jumbo!

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 07:46:40 pm »
Hey Stan S. Great info in all these programs! I have a lot of scanned photos of the 1974 event and with the help of your program scans can now put names to the numbers! I raced for Pratt and Osborne Motors starting in 1975, but alas you stop at '74. Do you have any from 1975? My first race was at Monza Park, I believe your home track. My race number was No 1! Mostly did Western Centre meetings, was C grade champ in '75, also won the Norm Mc Donald memorial trophy.
My name is Jim Van Sluys, was always spelt wrong in programs! lol! Will get these pics sorted and posted. Any info appreciated!  ;D Cheers Jim, Jumbo!

Gday Jim, yeah I should have heaps of later programs including Western Centre. I will see what I can find.

Regards Stan.

Jumbo

« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 07:50:47 pm »
Awesome! Take your time! (but can't wait!) he he! Cheers, Jumbo

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 09:29:57 pm »

Here you go Jim, here's one. I will do some more when I get time

Colac July 6th 1975 2nd leg of the Western Centre Scramble Championships

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 10:00:09 pm »
Gee, old number 95#,   Gee, Stan, you fellows creamed me that day , there was a good field of race mates at colac, 47# dickman, 18# John Kaiser, 79# Greg Flood, 54#Gary O`brien. 60#John Herd, Greg Keddie 77#. Where are the earls Boys, Neville and Steven.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:21:22 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2010, 10:08:27 pm »

And Another one.

1975 Victorian Inter Centre Championships. 17th August.

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:08 pm »
Well , l don`t know where l was that week end. Neil Crompton was still in juniors back in 1975, he may have race husky in 1976.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:27:25 pm by DAVID#46 »

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 30, 2010, 10:41:43 pm »
Well , l don`t know where l was that week end. Neil Crompton was still in juniors back in 1975, he may have race husky in 1976.

Yeah David, I don't know where you were that day and I am surprised the Earls weren't at the other meeting also. Neil Crompton was a very fast Junior in 75/76. He was unlucky not to win an Australian Title in 75 in Tasmania as he fell on one of the last laps with a huge lead but couldn't get the bike started again in time.

Regards Stan.