Author Topic: New tank for the Maico trials bike.  (Read 5935 times)

firko

New tank for the Maico trials bike.
« on: June 23, 2010, 10:38:24 pm »
Although the deal isn't totally sealed yet, it's pretty certain the aluminium Wassell Sherpa T Bultaco tank will find its way onto my one off Maico trials bike. The paint's going and it'll be polished for the bling effect. I've been looking for a suitable tank for it for yonks so finding this is a highlight of my week ;D.

Browny's Husky trials bike stands off against my Maico trials special, with the Maico tank that adorned it for a while. It's currently fitted with a plastic Elsinore 125m tank which looks a bit better. The new tank will be the final item in transforming the Maico into a proper trials bike .

TT

Re: New tank for the Maico trials bike.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 11:15:00 pm »
My knowledge of Maicos is really limited, but did they ever build a trials bike?

And what did you do to make that thing 'trials-worthy' ? Tiny carb, lower exhaust port??

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 11:53:09 am »
I can sense the tears of our Spanish riding friends as we speak…

What is Spanish for sacrilege?  ???
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2010, 02:30:19 pm »
It used to be "farkamadonna" but I think that rock star has changed all that.

shoey

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 02:47:06 pm »
sacrilegio

firko

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 05:06:15 pm »
Nothing is sacrelgio at Casa del Firko. If it fits, its on there. ;D
Actually, the only thing Bultaco about that tank is what's written on it. The tank is a universal model made by Wassell for any number of trials bikes, including my Maico (if it fits, we've yet to do the trial fit.)
And what did you do to make that thing 'trials-worthy' ? Tiny carb, lower exhaust port
Shitloads Tony....but I must confess that I'm not the genius responsible. Les Richters came upon the bike through his Mainly Maico business and knowing my love of the weird and quirky offered it to me. Apparently the bike originated in the Tamworth, NSW area back in the late seventies. A bit of research has uncovered that it appeared at a couple of open trials during that time, caused a bit of interest and then promply disappeared until Les got it from a bloke who'd picked it up at an auction.

I've dismantled the bike down to every last nut and bolt to see what had been done and I found that a lot of thought and some pretty amazing engineering has gone into it. The bike started life as a '73 MC250 motocrosser. The frame has been extensively modified to the point that it's hardly recognisable as a Maico MX unit, The swingarm has been shortened 6", the rake bought in to 25 degrees, and all superflous brackets and gizmos removed. Standard forks and front wheel are used and the rear wheel is an alloy hubbed AW version.

The engine is where the builder of this bike shows his true genius. The barrel has been blue printed and fitted with a welded on reed cage that's so well done it appears standard. A 24mm Mikuni is used along with a special trials style exhaust system to produce more torque. The transmission is fully custom made featuring suitable trials ratios and the primary drive ratio is altered to slow the engine revs down for "plonkability". The clutch is a Yamaha style iten with conventional springs instead of the standard Belville washer setup.

The bike featured a CR250M Honda tank and crappy plastic when I got it O then fitted the narrow fibreglass Maico tank and a Maier rear and Pacifico front fenders. It now has a Pacifico Honda CR125m plastic replica tank, Falk trials front fender and still the Maier rear. I'm still not happy with its looks so I'll now fit the above alloy job. I've cridden the bike a number of times and it works a treat. It took me a while to sort the jetting but now it ticks away on idle like a sewing machine. The grear ratios are well spaced with first second and third being pretty close and a gap to fourth for transport sections. I'm not much of a trials rider but to me the bike handles very well at trials speeds and turns on a zac. It pulls smoothly from the bottom and seems to be able to climb anything you can throw at it. John Boag and a competitive trials rider rode it at CD6 and both reported just how good the bike is. Boagy rode the enduro course and trials course until it ran out of petrol....I couldn't get him off it. ;D

I'd like a serious trials rider to try it out at a twinshock meeting sometime in the near future. I'd like some real feedback on what needs to be done (if anything) to make it competitive in twinshock trials.

Compare the stock Maico frame to the modified trials frame.

The bike when I first got it.

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 05:21:48 pm by firko »

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 08:13:40 pm »
Mark,you tank is indeed a Bultaco/Wassel tank.
These tank seat combos were fitted to all Sherpa T's and some other Bultacos that were sold in England during the mid seventies.I think a few also made it to the USA.
This tank was designed to overcome the ruling that banned fiberglass tanks to be sold on bikes due to the perceived fire risk.

TT

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 09:08:53 pm »
Shit!  >:(

Obviously, I'm getting old............ I'm reading the trials section and enjoying it.  :D  I even read David's column in VMX and enjoy it............. what has my life become??  :D

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 11:30:11 pm »
mark
what are you going to do with the honda tank if the other stuff fits
jim

nipplesX2

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2010, 08:11:12 am »
Firko,  I want the narrow Maico tank if you will part with it ??  what did you do with the plastic maico tank I gave you ?????????  Chippy

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 09:03:14 pm »
Looks great Firko and sounds like it is good to ride too. I hope it looks as good with that new tank because I really like the look of it with the Maico tank on it.
What shocks are they on it in the photo with the Husky?
For what it is worth, the poms call that alloy tank that they used on Bultacos a Homerlite tank rather than a Wassell. Maybe Homerlite made them and Wassell were the agents.
Tony T see how high Firko's pegs are - that is to give the riders bum clearance for going up big steps.
previous pseudonym feetupfun

TT

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 09:14:37 pm »
Tony T see how high Firko's pegs are - that is to give the riders bum clearance for going up big steps.
[/quoteot big steps

I must admit that I didn't even notice that bit. Not that I'll be doing any "big steps".  ::)

Offline BULTACOBRIS

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2010, 02:33:45 pm »
USTED TIENE DEMASIADA HORA Y DINERO

firko

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 03:39:59 pm »
mucho tiempo, no mucho dinero
What's it to you anyway?
Firko,  I want the narrow Maico tank if you will part with it ??  what did you do with the plastic maico tank I gave you   Chippy
Chippy that's the original tank from my Maico 350 and I would like to keep it on the off chance I ever put it back to stock. The little plastic tank you sent me is still a possibility once I sort out some sort of fuel tap for it and get a chance to clean it up and paint it.
What shocks are they on it in the photo with the Husky?
They're 15.5" Works Performance.
the poms call that alloy tank that they used on Bultacos a Homerlite tank rather than a Wassel
Wassell made their own tanks so maybe Wassell made them for Homerlite? Who knows?
I hope it looks as good with that new tank because I really like the look of it with the Maico tank on it.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess! I'll run off a shot of it with the yellow CR125 replica tank and see what people think. This is a work in progress. ;)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:50:57 pm by firko »

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »
Mark, that a nice wassel tank, do they still make them, where do you buy them, rounded shape tanks away look nice on bike, l like the pre65 bultaco trials tank, great design.