Author Topic: Whats your favorite memory of CD7?.  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Whats your favorite memory of CD7?.
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:32:08 am »
Mine was on the Saturday night around the campfire when ol' Bert Van Barello got the Diggerido out and started blowing a few "tunes".....priceless....we should have got him up with the band to do a few numbers. Also, on Sunday night when Gordon "TM Bill" Ramsey decided to "cook" diner.... the "or-durves" where a packet of peanuts in a saucepan, passed around, followed by.....wait for it.....lamb chop and avocardo sandwiches, complete with bones......as Brad 090 found out......and if you complained the "chef" went off....luckily there where no children about as you know what Ramsey's like  ;D.                        NATHAN IS BANNED FROM THIS DISCUSION  :)         
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

SAABCOMBI

Re: Whats your favorite memory of CD7?.
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:39:30 am »
None, wasn`t there, it would have been good.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 07:57:09 am »
The two women doin' the fluro stick tounge dance wasn't bad.... ::)

Wotto29

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 08:57:29 am »
I'm with you E74 that was a first for classic dirt, and how GOOD was the band.

firko

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 10:39:58 am »
* Seeing 74 year old Frank Stanborough bopping away in the moshpit on Saturday night, calling for Santana and Jethro Tull songs from the band. The Margaritas must have had something to do with it.

*The look on Mainlines face after returning from his ride on Jonesys Metisse.

*The collective looks on unwary punters faces after slamming the evil Moor Geist Schnapps "kindly" donated by Davey Crocket. The first hit tastes like thinners but they get much better as the level in the bottle lowers.

*Chatting with Laurie Alderton, old Frank and some other Moorebank veterans on their memories of "scrambling" in the sixties. The more I talk to these old legends, the more I know there's a book in them.

*Seeing Steve Gall take his tumble reminding me that even Mr Perfect can have his moments.

*Catching up with Chris Dixon after many years. How good did he look in his period gear? He's lost a fair bit of weight since I'd last seen him and he sure looked to be getting into the vibe of the event.

* Rick Cottons very trick works Kawasaki. The more I looked, the more I saw.

Getting Bernie Ellis's 490 Maico and 465 Yamaha going after they both wouldn't start. It was a relief to all of us as his tools and grog had been stolen from his ute at the Ballina motel on the way up to Conondale so adding two dead bikes didn't leave him a very happy puppy. You couldn't keep him from smiling and off the track in the end.

*On a bad note....seeing the idiots racing around their own home made track in the camping area. Funny that the bikes they were riding were mostly dungers too. I had a shot at one of the blokes but he looked at me as if I was butting into something that was none of my business.
The number of Evo bikes pulling the "novice" card to get onto the pre '75 track. These blokes need to have a good look at themselves. As I said in another thread.....Some people just don't get it.

* Meeting many of the forum regulars and liking every one of them. There truly are some funny and interesting characters frequenting this little piece of cyberspace. The only one missing from my love fest was my old chum Ji. The billy was on the boil,fresh Iced Vo-Vos were waiting and I had a pair of sensible enclosed shoes at the ready but unfortunately the welding instructor to the stars didn't show for our meet and greet.

*Brad van Barelo riding the Cee Zee in period clobber. Too cool. For a bloke who's reasonably new to the sport, Brad truly understands the spirit of what our sports about. The fact that he's one of the sports fast guys is one thing but when you see that he's got race bikes for nearly every class from pre '65 to pre '90 you understand that it's as much about the bikes as it is about the trophies.

*TM Bills overnight conversion of an eBay TS125 dunger into a cool little race/rally bike is so typical of the bloke. Bill and all of the Kiwis were brilliant. I think it's only fair that more of us visit them at one of their biggies. Perhaps it's time for a Kiwi version of the Classic Dirt concept.

* I was also gobsmacked and honoured to be asked to give away the beautiful Valeria at she and TM Bills impending wedding. At first I thought it was the Aussie beer talking but he repeated the question the next day sober!
I'm genuinely touched that Vale thinks enough of me to be her 'dad for a day'.   

* The skyrocketing quality of the bike presentation. I saw many quality big dollar dollar restos but what impressed me even more was the improved eye for detail taken by the owners of many of the lower budget bikes. These guys are the real stars in my mind as they prove that you can make a very presentable bike without remortgaging the house. There no excuse for badly turned out bikes using mismatched parts any more. Thankfully we're now moving away from the perception that what we do is "dunger racing".

*Peter Rowlands YZ J Margarita blender once again proved just what a party starter these things are. Things were a bit quiet at first on Saturday night but once we fired the bugger up punters filled the Kevlar Kompound taking piccys and calling to "fire her up". The little machine devoured four bottles of Tequila and two bottles of Vodka and an equal amount of mixer in an hour!

*Having a short chat with Bryan Flemming. It's so tragic to see him in his chair after becoming disabled in a crash but his attitude and the glint in his eye showed me that he'll be OK in the long run. It really brought home to me just how quickly our lives can change without warning. Noel Clarke and Bryan are the real heroes.

* The vibe.....it was electric.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:41:56 am by firko »

Offline ty4

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:58:17 pm »
Firko
one line in your post grates a bit

there is no excuse for badly turned out bikes using mismatched parts anymore

does that mean that those of us that don't have nut and bolt correct bikes and only get out for the occasional blast should hang our heads in shame?

i think half the fun is making a bike up out of whatever bits you have in your shed or your mates shed or ebay whatever and ending up with a fun, safe bike.

cheers
tony

firko

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:26:28 pm »
does that mean that those of us that don't have nut and bolt correct bikes and only get out for the occasional blast should hang our heads in shame?
No no no, it means nothing of the sort Tony! You obviously missed the key words in that sentence badly turned out.What I do mean is that if you're going to build a bike out of those nuts and bolts in the shed there is little excuse for not doing it neatly. It's amazing what you can achieve with a $200 basket case, a few cans of three dollar spray paint, and some careful assembly of whatever you've got. What really shits me is to see bikes slapped together with little thought towards how others perceive it. For over 20 years I've been fighting off the perception from our modern bike brothers and the general public that our sport is little more than dunger racing. To see some guys bikes, I sometimes think that that's how they see the sport too.

If you'd followed my rants over the years you'd well know that I push hard for the low budget bikes builder, I'm one myself. Most of my bikes started life as rusty shitboxes and bad basket cases and I even wrote a three part piece for VMX on the building of a $100 Suzuki racer. Bolt perfect restos don't do much for my mojo, I'd much rather turn a piece of crap into a jewell.

think half the fun is making a bike up out of whatever bits you have in your shed or your mates shed or ebay whatever and ending up with a fun, safe bike.
That's my whole point. There's no excuse for not making an attempt to make it presentable though.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 03:30:20 pm by firko »

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:02:40 pm »
Disappointed I couldn't ride, but more than made up by the great company.  Met old friends and made new ones from all over the place.
Best memory?  Sitting around a flaming, red hot brazier in the freezing cold, yarning with old & new friends, and thinking there is no place I would rather be.
Great stuff.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 06:42:01 pm »
* Meeting you lot and the bikes  8)

* Driving down towards Green Park and seeing tent city laid out over the paddocks  8)

* Talking with a young bloke by the central camp fire Saturday night,full of grog and testosterone asking if Id like to have a look at his bike. :o 
With his phone in his had he proceeds too show me his Honda 90ish model #66.
I said "Is that the number you have on your Honda here this weekend" ??
Proud as punch he said"Yes isn't she a beauty"   :-*  :P   ;D   :P 
I said "Well your the bloody idiot I was going to grab off ya Honda going though the pits at 100 mile an hr"
He said "I wasn't going that fast"  :-[  :-[  :-[
Poor bloke will never show anyone his bike again  :D
Best is in the West !!

oldfart

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 07:12:49 pm »
The smile on Col Newells face  Sunday Morning .......  Good on ya mate for getting back into it.
Bert Van Barello - history on how oz was found by the Dutch ;D
Waiting in the que to have a shower and to be told there was no hot water ( lucky there was )

All Things 414

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 07:47:40 pm »
I must have got drunk. Don't remember a thing.... ::)

Offline jackiemac

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 08:15:56 pm »
definately sitting around the camp fire, with good people and having lots of laughs :D ;D :D ;D

Keep Smiling :)
Jackie Mac
Be kind to your neighbour!!

TM BILL

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2010, 10:31:49 am »
So many great memories  :) and so many people to thank  :)

But probably watching the legends laps on Saturday when i got a tap on the shoulder and it was my Dad  :) who was on vacation from England with my Mum. They were staying with my brother up at bundy and came down for a look  :)

To be able to share a couple of hrs with my Dad at CD just made it the best CD iv'e been to yet  :)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2010, 10:34:38 am by TM BILL »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2010, 11:43:50 am »
'Bumping into'  a local 'gun' from my local track back in early 70s when I was just getting interested in "scrambles". Hadn't seen him in at least 20yrs. He used to race DT1M, then boat-tail Pursang.

He's now chasing a Pursang to get into VMX. Thats what CD does

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2010, 11:46:55 am »
Feeling the love rays coming from Klub Kevlar, they did get stronger after the Moor Geist Schnapps thou.

Floating up over the back side of drunks hill jump a little crossed up and getting the inside line perfect

The general vibe of the place
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle