Author Topic: Vic racer from '74 on  (Read 1350 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Vic racer from '74 on
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:50:54 pm »
Hey Guy's,

My name is John Orchard, I started racing MX back in '74 on a Suz TM125L with Frankston Motorcycle Club, only made it to B grade, rode the supercross meetings at Olympic Park & Melbourne Showgrounds.  Spent a couple of years as Assistant Editor & Motocross bike Evaluator for Trail & Track magazine in the mid '80's; I thought I'd give it a go; I got tired of non experienced riders evaluating bikes.  I bailed out when the mag moved to Sydney.

My race club 'Preston' was asked to run the 2010 Australian Classic Champs at Broadford, because of my dirt history I got roped into commentating.  That meeting got me all enthused about vintage MX and here I am.  I'm looking for a bike, I guess being 50 I can't handle a 500, 6" travel or a peaky 125 so I guess something like a RM250B or the like would be good.

Switched to roadracing in '86, raced Superbikes ever since, currently A grade, had a few MX bikes from time to time but racing kills you financially.  I rode at the Isle of Man 'TT' meeting in 1990, finished 9th in the Australian Superbike Championships in '95, finished 19th in the World Superbikes at Phillip Island in '96.  Finished 4th on the banking at Daytona in 2001.  I'm still trying to dig up the funds to run a superbike this year but would so love to step back in time with you guys.

Regards.
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
Re: Vic racer from '74 on
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 06:52:30 pm »
good Stuff John, dust off the Tux and get back into it.  ;)
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)